At what age did you make the switch?

ADS

krasota

At 7.5mo, we had a big road trip coming up. I bought a nicely padded convertible to see if it would help my car-hating child settle down. No good--he kept on screaming for the next 18mo.

Anyhow, we used the bucket (SS1) in the second car until he outgrew it by height around 17mo.

JOII

DS - 8 months, outgrew by height
DD1 - 6 months cause I decided I didnt like lugging the thing around and wanted to move her into something new.
DD2 - 6 months, same as above, and cause I wanted a cute seat ;) (Coccoro)

featherhead

My first dd I switched her around 7 months. I thought she was getting too tall for it, but now I know she would have fit for quite a while yet:)
My second dd I bought her first convertible around 3 months. We switched back and forth between bucket and convertible until she was about 10 months. (Whichever was more convenient at the moment).

CYBEX USA-2

Never had a height problem with my children, just a matter of the weight, but usually right around the 12 month mark we made the switch to RF Convertible.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
DD was 6 months old. She was 29", and since that was the stated limit on her Snugride, I switched her. I can't remember if she actually had room above her head or maybe she had already outgrown the seat by height; I didn't know anything about car seats then.

DS was about 9 months old. He still had some growing room in his SafeSeat 1, but I got a great deal at Target on a Marathon with a 35 pound RF limit, so I passed DD's Boulevard with a 33 pound limit down to him and put her in the Marathon. (Anyone else remember how exciting it was when Britax upped the RF limit from 33 to 35? I was so pumped to get that Marathon! :p)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DS was about five months. He had met the height limit, and I didn't know about the 1" rule at the time.

DD was six weeks. I wouldn't have used it at all, except I had the Coccoro for her and it was brand-new to the market at the time, and I needed to get some questions answered about it before I used it.

BabyKaykes

Initially, 6mths - We only had 1 SR base and I didn't want to move it to dad's car and then have to put it back. So I pulled out the ComfortSport that I got as a shower gift.

He rode for the last time in the SR at 10mths.

christineka

The fourth baby switched at 6 months because I had heard so much about other babies being too tall and the car seat was getting old anyway. (Was at least 5.5 years old.) The fifth and sixth switched at 9 months just because I'm not really into infant seats once the kid can sit up unsupported.

ETA: First child switched at 13 or 14 months. She was still below 20 pounds, but I do believe she had outgrown the seat by height, only I didn't know there was a height limit.

Second child switched at 9 months and 20 pounds.

Third child switched at 6 months and 20 pounds. (The convertible only rear-faced to 22 pounds and I let him rear-face until 13 months. I think he was over the weight limit. oops!)

Last edited:

tabrizia

DS1 switched at 10 1/2 months because we got a Britax Marathon for him then on sale.

DD switched at 4 weeks, because she hated the infant seat and screamed every time she rode in the car in it, she was much happier in a convertible.

DS2 will be starting out in a convertible car seat, because it fits the car best, and I learned with DD I had no real need for an infant car seat anyways.

mumof2

about 6 months for my daughter (was when her convertible arrived)
about 4 months for my son as he was just getting too big and too heavy

fyrfightermomma

For Evelyn she outgrew the Evenflo Portabout 5 at 2.5 months by height. So she went into a convertible. There really was nothing else much bigger at the time other than a Snugride. When she was 11 months old I got a Safeseat 1 and she stayed in that until about 18 months when her sister was born and inherited it

Sophia stayed in the Safeseat 1 until about 7 months when it was just easier to use a convertible because she was so big

Joseph outgrew the KF30 at 8 weeks so I got another Safeseat 1 to keep him in a bucket longer. With two other kids 4 and under and one special needs, it was easier. He outgrew the SS1 at about 5 1/2 months. So he went to a convertible then. I hated it. It was almost winter and I wanted him in a bucket so I didn't need to do the hat, snowsuit deal with him. Just stick him in, put a cover over him and he was good to go. So I got a Shuttle 33. He just outgrew it at 12 months, 7 months longer than the SS1! This week was his first week back in a convertible and it was much easier.

I'm just a fan of the bucket I guess. I like it for Church, restaurants etc. I prefer to make it through at least one winter in it but that's just me

Ninetales

Elsa had a SR35 until she was just over 8 months. We started using the CA at that point because she liked being more upright and having more legroom. Plus we couldn't use it to carry her inside asleep since she wakes up when the car turns off anyway.

We kept the SR around as backup until she was close to outgrowing it by height, around eleven months.

miraclebabies

Dd1... 8 months, I was so excited for her to be in a Decathlon. She would of made it to 1yr in the SS1.

Dd2... 10m, again I wanted her to be in a convertable withe both kids rear facing it was easier to wear the littlest and be hands free for the older one.

Ds1... 12m and counting :). He's 23# and almost outgrowing it by height, I wanted to get through the winter with him in it. It's easier carrying him in and out of the house so I can buckle the girls faster and get them all in with it being cold outside. He has a Marathon but I switch back and forth, he's our last and the infant seat is the last thing we have of the "baby" stuff.

Each person is different... Some love the bucket and others skip it. I love the ease of it but I also wear my kids when it's easiest.

DahliaRW

DS1 - about 3 months when he pretty much outgrew the old SR by height.
DS2 - about 4 1/2 months, outgrew old SR by height.
DD - 9 months. Tons of room to grow in her SS1, but was passing it on to my sister to use for her newbie.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I switched my son around 5 months because I was tired of lugging the bucket around. I just wore him when we went in to stores and I would take the bucket along for a place for him to sit when we went out to eat. I don't know if I'm going to use the bucket with my next baby or if that baby will start out in our CCO.

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

DS was about five months. He had met the height limit, and I didn't know about the 1" rule at the time.

DD was six weeks. I wouldn't have used it at all, except I had the Coccoro for her and it was brand-new to the market at the time, and I needed to get some questions answered about it before I used it.

pretty much this.

except my dd was 3.5 months when Jennie got the Coccoro questions answered. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC