Travel harness

dubaidane

As the title says, I'm looking for the best option when it comes to a travel harness. I'll be travelling with my daughter who is almost 5, 46 inches (116cm) and about 50 lbs (25 kg). Would it be acceptable to just take the bottom seat of a booster (Maxi Cosi Priori, I think it's called....) or should I go for a harness? If so, would the Safe Rider be a good option? It's a bit pricey but does look really handy for travel. Maybe both booster seat AND harness? I'm expecting cars with shoulder belts.

Sorry, this must have been asked before but I didn't come across any good threads on the topic.

Also, a thank you to all as with help from this site I picked a decent 5 point harness seat for my daughter. She still fits in her Safety 1st Apex 65, though the shoulder strops will be too small any day. Wanted to get my hands on a Frontier but shipping would cost more than the seat!

TIA

DD

ADS

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you renting a car? Rental cars should all have shoulder belts. I personally like the Ride Safer Travel Vest when I travel with my kids because it's pretty small and fits well in their backpacks. How much driving do you have? My kids tend not to like backless boosters at that age because there is no place to rest their heads when they get tired.

dubaidane

BM, we don't plan on doing much driving at all, it would be for the odd taxi ride and maybe for a one day car rental. I guess in theory the seat only option from her booster would be acceptable? Will look into the RSTV again as it might be worth the investment for the future.
Thanks for your feedback!
Mette

Eclipsepearl

If you'll be in and out of taxis, the RSTV is a good idea because you can carry it around more easily.

Be aware that it can't be used on the airplane (nor can the booster) just so you know. Bring it on board in your carry-on, in case the checked bag it's in gets lost. You can get her safely out of the airport at least.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
If she'll sit properly, the seat only option is acceptable. If it's only for the trip from the airport to your destination, it's probably fine. If it's for a longer ride, I find that kids that age cannot sit properly for very long and there are better options.

I personally am not concerned with the restraint on the plane. My kids were fine on the plane by 3.5 years old. I just won't check a carseat because I want to make sure that I have something at my destination, which is why my kids each carry a RSTV in their backpacks on the plane.

dubaidane

Thanks girls, I'll go for the RSTV, it's a great investment I think. Now, my issue is what size do I order! Of course the frugal part of me wants to get the bigger size but I'm afraid it might be too big as I read in a review. She's 46 inches and about 50 lbs I think, and a big girl in general. Am just worried the large size will be too loose, do you girls know if any more exact measurements are available?

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
The height is more of an issue than the weight. My son needed the large before he hit the weight for it because the small was too short for his torso. The bottom of the vest must keep the lapbelt part of the seatbelt over the hips and it rode up to high with the small.
I'd probably start with the large and if it's too big, you can always get the small.

dubaidane

Aha, yes did read that. I just ordered a big one, if it's way too big for her now, we'll just take the booster seat. At that price I really want to get some mileage out of it.

Thank you so much to all who answered, your knowledge is priceless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC