Are high weight limit infant seats used to the limits?

Brianna

I'm just curious how many people use seats like the Snug Ride 35 to the weight limit?

Or are they often outgrown by height first? Or do parents just switch to convertibles before they're outgrown for comfort? Just curious...

*I'd imagine after a certain weight you'd leave it in the car anyways

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They're almost always outgrown by height.

Larger babies usually prefer convertibles.

35# of baby plus 10# of infant seat is heavy to lug around!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd was 19 months, 33 inches, and only 24 pounds when she got too big (tall) for her Snugride 35. She didn't walk till 15 months and it was winter and I still lugged her around from time to time just to get errands done more easily :eek:
I think the high weight limits make it easier for parents to not misuse a seat so bad (while most people I meet don't even wait till a year to put their kid forward, there are some who shove large toddlers in tiny infant seats for convenience as long as possible).

vonfirmath

We had the Graco Safeseat (usable to 30 pounds, IIRC) and moved our son out at 13 months because of convenience for parents, nothing to do with the infant seat not fitting by weight or height.

HOWEVER -- he would have outgrown (by height) the smaller seat, (Snugride, which went to 22 pounds) by 5 months old, WAY before I was ready to stop using it. So the higher weight and height limits were VERY appreciated despite not being used to their limits.

For the entire 13 months, we took the infant seat out of the car and plopped it into the Graco Snugrider stroller we were using -- as well as carrying up the stairs to a 2nd floor apartment. I had to hold it with both hands, yes. But it never got too heavy to manage for small distances. And it was ALWAYS too awkward to manage for long distances without the stroller, even when our baby was a 9 lb newborn.

Pixels

We switched our daughter to a convertible long before her infant seat was outgrown for convenience. Seat+baby was too heavy to carry around, and just leaving it in the car didn't work for us either. Since the seat was up on the base, I always ended up bonking her head on the roof of the car. Using the bucket without the base and leaving it installed wasn't an option, since I couldn't get her in or out of the seat due to where the seatbelt goes. We switched to a Radian, which doesn't have a base and doesn't have high sides to lift her over, and quit bonking her head.

We did that for a month or two, and then winter hit. Back to lugging the bucket and/or bonking her head on the rare occasions we didn't lug.

My daughter is now almost 3 years old, and 29 pounds. Her baby brother has a 30 pound bucket, so technically she still fits by weight. However, her entire head is over the top of the seat. I can't even imagine trying to carry a 30 pound baby in the bucket seat.

I had the safeseat (30lbs) and my son outgrew it by height around 18 months and he only weighed about 22 lbs, however if I had the same seat for my 1st, who was born 9lbs 10ozs he would have outgrew it by weight 1st.

fyrfightermomma

Usually height.

J outgrew the KF30 at 8 weeks and like 16 pounds by height. Then he outgrew the SS1 at 5 1/2 months and 20ish pounds

He actually used the Shuttle 33 almost to the limit! He was 34" and almost 30 lbs. I think the limit is 33" and 33 lbs. It was by far the "closest" seat my kid has ever had that got them to the limit

lovemybabies924

my friends baby is 4 months old and 20lbs and hes in a snugride 22 so shes wishing she had a heigher weight limit seat! but ya i can see how most babies get too tall before they are the 30lbs

MANDY1234

My 2 y/o still fits with about 2 inches above her head in the SR35, she weights 29 lbs. The seat belongs to my DS, who is 10 months, 24 lbs and has about 5 inches above his head. I will use the seat till it is out grown by weight and height. I don't leave it in the car because he is usually sleeping when we come home...

Little Ps Mama

We used our SS1 til DS1 was a year old. We moved DS2 out of it at 5 months. He's a much bigger baby and needed more space to be comfortable.

xursusmaritimusx

i used my safe seat to its fullest. my DD outgrew it by weight at 24 months (30lbs)

she was short and still is short torso'd.
she outgrew it by height at 32 months and a standing height of 36"

so if we had the 32 or 35lb limit she would have officially outgrown the seat at 32 months, 32lbs and 36"

I left the seat in the car most of the time but I did carry her in it for a while. I developed a really strong bicep ;)

I love the SS1/SR32/SR35 and I plan on buying another for our new little monster.

Chila88

My daughter is 13mos, 23lbs and 31" and still fits in her SS1 with about 1.5 - 2" above her head. She outgrew our Peg PV SIP by height by 7 or 8 months....so the high weight seat bought us a TON more time and use (and took us right through winter which was sooooo convenient!) because of its tall shell.

canadiangie

My nephew outgrew his SafeSeat (30 lb limit) at about 16mos and 29lbs. He had a few inches of shell above his head, but at 29 lbs my step-sister wasn't willing to push it. He went into a rear facing Radian for another pound, and then went forward facing. I wish he had had a SR35 because it would have meant rear facing until age 2 I'm sure.

My oldest made it to age 2 in hers, weighing about 24 lbs.

My middle made it to 19ish mos in hers, weighing about 23lbs.

My infant is out of an infant seat already by choice but I may buy her a hwh bucket once she's mobile. ;)

Dillipop

We had the 30 pound limit SS1 for ds. He outgrew it the same day I dropped it going down the stairs and cracked it. He was around 24 pounds and 19 months, but had just hit the 1 inch mark.

We have a companion for dd. It goes to 22 pounds and I think she may make it to the weight, but not sure. However, my sister is shipping me her SS1 when she is done with it (as long as it doesn't expire too early) and I will use that next winter with dd. I am hoping to make it to 18 months with her, which will get us through the whole winter.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
it depends on the size and shape of the child, and the limits of the seat. Some kids will outgrow by weight well before height, many by height before weight, some get pretty close on both criteria. Many parents choose to forgo the seat by choice well before the limits are met. For example, I would personally not use one after the child could sit up, so 5-6 months. After that point, I could put the child in a shopping cart seat, high chair, or stroller. Oh - and my kids don't sleep anyways, so the whole "so they can stay sleeping" argument doesn't matter here ;)

bekah

I'm not sure why people think that if they have a bucket seat the MUST take the child in and out in the seat. I use a SR35 for my 10 month old, but at stores I put her in the cart, sitting. She's much happier. I do like that on a quick run into the gym I can put her in the snugrider and push it in with my other kids in tow. But that's the extent to which I drag that thing around.

As for outgrowing. I bought that seat when my middle daughter was 2 years and 3 months. She had barely outgrown it by height (not weight). I plan to get at least 18 months out of it, if not 2 years. Currently she is 10 months, 19 lbs and is not even on the last harness slot. She has a lot of shell left.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC