A little info and pictures of the Recaro seats...

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Cool! Thanks so much for posting this. However, I think she's mistaken (maybe a typo?) about the "Cobalt" seat. Cobalt is a blue color afterall, and the woman I spoke with said there will be a blue seat (can't remember if it's blue/gray or blue/black). Other than that, that's great info! :thumbsup:

ETA: I *wish* there was a gray/black combo - I'd prefer that to the blue combo for a boy. :)

chelle80

Thanks for posting this!!!

I don't like them, they look well....ugly(sorry, just my opinion), so that answers my question about getting one of them or a regent(regent all the way now).

Kellyr2

Yeah, I was thinking cobalt is probably blue/black. One of the boosters on the Recaro site is shown as blue/black, I think.
I think they're darn ugly. Then again, I thought the Husky in marina was darn ugly too, but it's not nearly as bad in person. I'm still debating. I'll spare you all the thought process. Once we've got the finalized details, watch for a thread from me comparing the pro's and con's to all my options.

mominabigtruck

I'm not at all impressed. They might be nice in person but online I don't see anything spectacular. I'm really not impressed by the cover options, boring!!! And microfiber??? I'm sorry but I like my plush fuzzy britax covers, I wish they'd come out with pretty covers for the blvd and husky but what I have is still better then what recaro has.

southpawboston

notable excerpts:

Both seats have high-end latch connectors, but the Signo has the latch straps attached to metal bars, so they don’t need to be rethreaded when you turn the seat from rear- to forward-facing. The headrest on the Signo is upgraded, with a double wall head support. The Signo also adjusts slightly higher than the Como, so it can accommodate a child to 60″, versus 59″ for the Como.

that's it... i'm definitely waiting for the signo... forget the como.

I understand that the seats will be priced competitively against the Britax seats. Could be trouble for Britax - the seats are great looking and more fully featured. The extra height and weight limit is a really nice plus. They don’t have nearly the breadth of fabric choices that Britax offers, but they seem to be campaigning against that from the outset - the tagline that closes their catalog is “Don’t get cute - get Recaro.”

haha, i love that... finally a down-to-business seat for us dads to love. :p

it also appears from the one side profile pic that it has built-in lockoffs like the britaxes. but i don't like how the side of the shell is just exposed plastic... it makes it look kind of cheap.

oh, and mominabigtruck, microfiber is really nice because it's practically indestructable, stain-proof, fade-proof, and easily washable. the microfiber on the RYS is sooooooooo plush... easily as plush as any britax.

mominabigtruck

I don't know, I have a couch that's some kind of microfiber thing and I hate it. I have to scrub the whole thing like every other day because it spots so easily.
Maybe I'll show it to dh and he'll like it for the semi, I hate having to lug my britax seats up into the truck cause they're so heavy. I really don't like them but I'll feel left out if I don't get one. It's bad enough I've never even seen a radian.

Kellyr2

I'd definitely go for the signo over the como. I wish I'd gone for the bv instead of the MA too, but oh well.

arly1983

Thats me, i am scared to preorder this. I need something TALL and by Oct. at the latest!

The looks do not really bother me as I my only other options are regent or safeguard...

southpawboston

It does look a tad short for a seat that should last about as long as the Regent by height :confused: I'm dying to see a side-by-side comparison of the 2 :twocents:

right... i'm trying to convince myself from the pics that premature outgrowth by height won't be an issue, but i'm having a hard time convincing myself. we'll just have to have side by side comparos as you suggest. (i'm sure people we'll have such comparos posted here within days of these seats hitting the market. :D )

i'm also concerned about the height of the base... it seems awfuly tall. i hope the seat doesn't sit *too* high up, posing difficulty for getting kiddos in and out from sedans and other non-van type vehicles.

also, mominabigtruck, microfibers come in many different textures and grades. some are made with a very short nap and tight thread count to feel like suede, while others have a longer nap/looser count, resembling something closer to short-napped "fur" (for lack of a better term). we have a microfiber couch that looks and feels like suede (the trade-name for the material on our couch is "ultrasuede"), and it looks/feels nothing like the recaro's microfiber.

but one complaint about microfiber is that it doesn't breathe as well as natural fibers or conventional polyester weaved fabrics... so kids may sweat more in hot weather. we're still waiting to see how hot our RYS gets, since we've only had it since november and it's only recently gotten warm here.

LuvBug

the side profile is nice, it doesnt appear to sit up as high as the britax seats. I like that they will be doing the bar for the latch to slide on, I love that about the marathon!

Morganthe

Well, dd already input her opinion --- she LOVES the pink & grey combo :rolleyes: I'm not one who cares about carseat covers as long as they're easy to clean & comfortable & not obnoxious looking. I hate my car's dark beige/ taupe interior, so it might liven it up a bit.

I like the narrow base. It will fit easily in my center spot in the Camry. The Radian is slightly wider and makes it difficult for the other belts to be used. It looks as if there's a lockoff for 3pts in the top picture, so I'll be happy there too.

In fact, the design looks so similar to my MC, it's eerie. But there's got to be a way to extend the back/ headrest area since there's no way a 60" child will fit. It's difficult trying to imagine it without all that cushioning involved. Too bad you can't do a basic purchase for just the preschooler & up ;)

Thanks for posting the link :)

hsjwmom

I DO NOT like the colors. The girl one looks kinda like a stuffed elephant toy. Anybody else see it? I wonder if they will have replacement covers for sale... we are *thinking* about another and if I end up getting the pink/grey for dd2, I would want to pass it down. Fine for another girl, but a HUGE no-no for a boy!

teekadog

I wish car seat manufacturers would make natural fabric cover options... I went with Marathons last time because I could get 100% cotton denim covers. I was excited about the Recaro, but it looks like I might be sticking with Britax as long as they offer cotton covers.

Tara

microfibers come in many different textures and grades. some are made with a very short nap and tight thread count to feel like suede, while others have a longer nap/looser count, resembling something closer to short-napped "fur" (for lack of a better term). we have a microfiber couch that looks and feels like suede (the trade-name for the material on our couch is "ultrasuede"), and it looks/feels nothing like the recaro's microfiber.

Trying to follow here....
Any other comparison between your current Recaro's microfiber and your ultrasuede couch?
I have an ultrasuede couch as well, LOVE the feel. I think I could deal with it as a carseat cover, but, I like the plushier (??) Britax covers as well.
Is your Recaro somewhere in between the two, or what?

I keep looking at that latest pic of the Recaros next to a pic of the MA. I have the two windows open and enlarged then moved side by side. Of course, the scale of the pics comes into play and all...but..it does kinda look like maybe the base on the Recaro isn't *quite* as tall as the MA's. Also looks like the Recaro back is slightly more upright ?? But I really can't get a feel for the shell height comparison. Though, looking at one of the Recaro pics, I could see 3 slots (well, can see two rather clearly and given the space between that last one clearly seen and where the straps are...there's got to be another in between) below the straps ? And using that spacing as a guesstimate as to where higher slots could be...could there be 5 slot? I'm not good at this kind of thing but it looks like perhaps there *could* be room for another slot above where the straps are and still leave as much shell room as on the MA. Not that that helps anything, I mean, we don't know how tall the highest slots are or anything. Just...throwing out my observations.

I may just be nuts LOL

And I don't think the colors are all that bad. I mean, not fancy and *lovely*, kinda plain, *could* be better, but really, they're not all that atrocious, are they? They're way better than an Evenflo seat, right? ;)

southpawboston

Trying to follow here....
Any other comparison between your current Recaro's microfiber and your ultrasuede couch?
I have an ultrasuede couch as well, LOVE the feel. I think I could deal with it as a carseat cover, but, I like the plushier (??) Britax covers as well.
Is your Recaro somewhere in between the two, or what?

umm... i don't know how quite how to describe it. it is not suede-like at all, actually. i would say much more like the britax covers, but a slightly denser fiber, and softer. closer to velvet. it also has a sheen to it. and it's grippy, too.

another caveat, is that we have no idea whether recaro will use the same material on the new seats as they use on the YS. could be nicer, could be less nice...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC