Need advice on which seats to bring on plane

ama223

DS1 is 4.5yo, 43lbs, about 47" - he does NOT fit in a Marathon (too tall) but he does fit well in his Graco Nautilus, right now he is 5pt harnessed in it.

DS2 is 2.25yo, 33lbs, about 38" - he fits well in his Marathon; he is not rear-facing.

I have 2 Graco Nautilus & 2 Marathons available to bring. We need something that we can use when we get there, we will be driving in a rental car.

We are flying Airtran and do have 2 window seats booked for the kids, so that won't be an issue.

My main concern is that DH & I are both overweight (me moreso than DH) and I'm worried that the boys' seats will take up part of *our* seats and really, we need all the room in our own seats..

Would it be possible for us to somehow pack DS1's Nautilus (broken down??) and have him use it as a HB Booster when we get there? He hasn't used it that way, but I am confident that he could sit correctly/sit still in it. Then we'd only have 1 in a carseat?

I'm not crazy about gate-checking or checking the carseats, even though it's a direct flight - I don't want them being tossed around when they are loading & unloading!

Does anyone have any photos of seats installed in Airtran seats (or similar airplane)?? Maybe we will have more room than we think? It just seems as though their carseats are quite wide and would overlap to the seats next to them?

ADS

vonfirmath

I do not recall having problems with the Marathon overlapping to my seat -- and I'm quite "fluffy" as well. (though I've never flown Air Trans)

I would be comfortable with a child the size, weight, age of your DS using just the seatbelt on the plane. has he ever ridden with a booster?

It might make sense to get a high-back booster for him, take the backless part in your carry on and pack the back, well padded in your luggage. (then you will have SOMETHING to use on the other end even if your luggage gets lost)

ama223

THANK YOU!!

Can you recommend a high-back booster that is safe (and cost effective!!) and easy to breakdown to pack/put back together to use?

Jan06twinmom

THANK YOU!!

Can you recommend a high-back booster that is safe (and cost effective!!) and easy to breakdown to pack/put back together to use?

The Graco Turbobooster would fit that bill. It costs under $50. I see it on sale for $35-$40. You might keep an eye out for a sale or see what you can find online.

Melanie

mytwobugs

Depending on how much you plan on traveling you might want to look at the RideSafer Travel Vest. It costs a little more, but it doesn't expire so you can also pass it down to your younger child. We have one and it has been great for travel and also for times when we need to get an extra person in the back seat of our civic with the two kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC