Question Visiting family - no top tether and other install issues

A

Alwaysamama

I recently posted a question about flying to visit family with my DS who is 2, 26+ pounds and 34 inches. At this point, I'm planning to have him FF in a Cosco HBB combination seat (with harness, of course) as this is the car seat we have access to for the flight and at our destination and he is already FF.

I have some concern regarding installing the seat in my parents' car. They drive a 1995 Dodge Intrepid - pre-latch, pre-child restraint locking seat belts (I think, but I'm pretty sure are ELR), and pre-top tethers (I think). Oh, and to top it off, I think they are Generation 3 belts. Oi. I'm pretty sure they at least have shoulder belts in the back. If not, I think I might just turn around and hop the next flight back home! JK

So, I understand the pre-latch part isn't really a problem. For the ELR shoulder belts, if that is indeed what they are, I just need to use the locking clip that comes with the car seat, right?

One of my biggest concerns is the lack of top tethers. Can I safely install the Cosco HBB without the tethers? The manual only says that most vehicles made after 9/1/99 already have the anchor hardware.

My other concern is with the Generation 3 belts. I don't completely understand the concern with these. Is there anything I should know or could do to help alleviate the risks involved with them? Is the main issue that they are easily released because of the placement of the release button?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Any chance of bringing a rear facing seat?

The Gen 3 belts can be unbuckled by a stray elbow or ankle. That's their problem.

You'll need a locking clip.

You can install the seat without a top tether, but especially with such a young and small forward facer, I'd want it. If you can't, though, you can't.

Wendy

A

Alwaysamama

Thanks for your help!

We have a Recaro Signo at home, but I'm quite hesitant to manage that beast in the airport and on the plane (especially concerned it won't fit on the seat). I've considered purchasing a Scenera, as I see those come highly recommended on this site for travel, but with our budget these days, am trying to avoid spending the money.

Perhaps I will try him RF again in our car since it's been a while and then possibly buy the Scenera. It may not be a bad idea to have anyway and I know using it RF alleviates the whole issue of the top tether.

If they are, in fact, Gen 3 belts, I suppose I'll just make sure to not have anyone or anything sitting too close to the buckle.

Thankfully, I have a locking clip for the HBB and I imagine the Scenera would come with one.

U

Unregistered

The Signo fits on a plane (you can always FF there). Just lift up the armrest.

Thanks! It's great to know the Signo fits. Have you taken one on? You're alleviating my fear of being forced to gate check it and use a lap belt only.

I'm actually not nearly as concerned about getting through the airport as I had been. I tried strapping it to my folding luggage cart and took it for a test drive down the sidewalk with my son. He LOVED it and it was quite easy to handle, felt sturdy on the cart.

As for locking clips, according to the manual, it's locking mechanism is like a clamp that is part of the seat, so I'm guessing that is the "locking clip" for this seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC