What used van to buy - Chrysler T&C, Dodge Grand Caravan? What about extras? HELP?

K

kcstn

We're going to be in the market for a new (to us) van.

We're wanting to spend around 7-9k (it'll be cash). I may be willing to go up to 11k, but it'd take a REALLY good reason for me to entertain that idea.

I'd prefer the van be at least 2004 or newer, so I know that limits us right there. I'm finding most vans in our price range are Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan, since Toyota Sienna's and Honda Odyssey's are out of our price range unless we buy a '99 or '00, lol.

We've only ever had a '94 and a '99 Plymouth Grand Voyager. I don't know how important power sliding doors are, the rear backup sensors/cams are, etc.? Thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking I want quad seating, it just seems like it'd be easier for our third child to get into the third row. We have three in boosters. I also want the third row to be a 70/30 or 60/40 split. It seems like I've run across a Grand Caravan or a T&C a time or two with 8 passenger seating. But the middle seat in the second row looks so slim and dinky. Is it safe to put a booster in the middle in the second row?

I guess I'm asking what you recommend that may be in my range, and also what your thoughts are on the extras - power sliding doors, backup cam/sensor, and so on? Anything you MUST have? Anything you could do without?

ADS

CommMom

Senior Community Member
That's right around where we were price-wise. We got an 06' Sedona (LX but with a DVD player...which we really didn't care about one way or another) with around 83k miles for just under $10k (on the road). Depending on how the prices run in your area, you could probably find an 06 or 07 in that range. They're hard to find around here and go fast when a good one hits the market. The one we really wanted sold in less than 24 hours of being listed online...the one we have was our second choice. (Our market may be a bit off though since we're right down the road from the region's biggest auto auction. That means lots of the trades, etc. move out without ever being listed around here.)

Melanie

Another vote for the 06+ Kia Sedona. I would pick a basic Sedona over a Chrysler/Dodge with the niceties. Power doors and such are very convenient, but not necessary. A van is going to be convenient no matter what.

skipspin

The DGC and T&C come with in middle bench option, but it's only a 2 seater bench. I prefer that for accessing the back with little kids or for two rear-facing kids, but with 3 booster-age riders it's likely you'd like the quad seating better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC