Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Alwaysamama

Visiting family - no top tether and other install issues

I recently posted a question about flying to visit family with my DS who is 2, 26+ pounds and 34 inches. At this point, I'm planning to have him FF in a Cosco HBB combination seat (with harness, of course) as this is the car seat we have access to for the flight and at our destination and he is already FF.

I have some concern regarding installing the seat in my parents' car. They drive a 1995 Dodge Intrepid - pre-latch, pre-child restraint locking seat belts (I think, but I'm pretty sure are ELR), and pre-top tethers (I think). Oh, and to top it off, I think they are Generation 3 belts. Oi. I'm pretty sure they at least have shoulder belts in the back. If not, I think I might just turn around and hop the next flight back home! JK

So, I understand the pre-latch part isn't really a problem. For the ELR shoulder belts, if that is indeed what they are, I just need to use the locking clip that comes with the car seat, right?

One of my biggest concerns is the lack of top tethers. Can I safely install the Cosco HBB without the tethers? The manual only says that most vehicles made after 9/1/99 already have the anchor hardware.

My other concern is with the Generation 3 belts. I don't completely understand the concern with these. Is there anything I should know or could do to help alleviate the risks involved with them? Is the main issue that they are easily released because of the placement of the release button?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Visiting family - no top tether and other install issues

Any chance of bringing a rear facing seat?

The Gen 3 belts can be unbuckled by a stray elbow or ankle. That's their problem.

You'll need a locking clip.

You can install the seat without a top tether, but especially with such a young and small forward facer, I'd want it. If you can't, though, you can't.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Alwaysamama

Thanks for your help!

We have a Recaro Signo at home, but I'm quite hesitant to manage that beast in the airport and on the plane (especially concerned it won't fit on the seat). I've considered purchasing a Scenera, as I see those come highly recommended on this site for travel, but with our budget these days, am trying to avoid spending the money.

Perhaps I will try him RF again in our car since it's been a while and then possibly buy the Scenera. It may not be a bad idea to have anyway and I know using it RF alleviates the whole issue of the top tether.

If they are, in fact, Gen 3 belts, I suppose I'll just make sure to not have anyone or anything sitting too close to the buckle.

Thankfully, I have a locking clip for the HBB and I imagine the Scenera would come with one.

To clarify:
    Locking clips are only used on lap/shoulder belts. They are never used on lap-only belts.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The Signo fits on a plane (you can always FF there). Just lift up the armrest.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    The Signo fits on a plane (you can always FF there). Just lift up the armrest.
    Thanks! It's great to know the Signo fits. Have you taken one on? You're alleviating my fear of being forced to gate check it and use a lap belt only.

I'm actually not nearly as concerned about getting through the airport as I had been. I tried strapping it to my folding luggage cart and took it for a test drive down the sidewalk with my son. He LOVED it and it was quite easy to handle, felt sturdy on the cart.

As for locking clips, according to the manual, it's locking mechanism is like a clamp that is part of the seat, so I'm guessing that is the "locking clip" for this seat.