Teaching a child to buckle a 5 point themselves

Angela

We switched DS Frontier to booster mode in DH's car, but it's too hard to buckle him in because of where the buckle stalk is. We switched him because we thought it might be easier than buckling the harness every time. So, we're switching back. DS can buckle himself if it's loosened. So DH still needs to loosen it each time he gets out or gets in. Any suggestions for making it easier for him to get buckled in without having to loosen it? This will be so much easier come summer, since he'll have lighter weight clothes on.

ADS

emandbri

What I did with Benjamin was loosen it each time but a little less over time. Eventually he was able to buckle without loosening.

jsmom

Which part does he try to buckle first? When my DD first started buckling herself, she would go straight for the chest clip and then not be able to get the bottom buckled. Once we taught her to do the bottom clip first, she was able to get it. I like the suggestion above too about loosening it less over time.

turtlemama

Mine tend to want to pull one strap on and buckle that side in before they even put the other strap on so it makes it harder to do up. If I make sure they put both straps on before buckling anything, it is easier. I still can't get DS to buckle any part of the harness though. He did great with the GN but other than that seat he won't buckle anything else. He's RF in the 3rd row too so I have to go in through the hatch to buckle everything up or he just sits there and doesn't do any of it. I suppose I don't have any advice to offer, I agree with PP though.

katiesmommy

With dd I loosen it everytime. I put her where I can reach her from the front passenger seat. I loosen, she buckles and I tighten. Sometimes she can get it buckled while it's tight, but not always.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Can he not loosen himself? Both my kids would get in, put their arms in then reach down and loosen. Then they would buckle.

Angela

Thanks SO much for all the suggestions!

What I did with Benjamin was loosen it each time but a little less over time. Eventually he was able to buckle without loosening.

I like this idea! He has a hard time pulling it over his belly when it's tight. Of course, I think I overtighten it a bit too. :rolleyes:

Which part does he try to buckle first? When my DD first started buckling herself, she would go straight for the chest clip and then not be able to get the bottom buckled. Once we taught her to do the bottom clip first, she was able to get it. I like the suggestion above too about loosening it less over time.

He does the buckle first.

Mine tend to want to pull one strap on and buckle that side in before they even put the other strap on so it makes it harder to do up. If I make sure they put both straps on before buckling anything, it is easier.

DS does this too, maybe if I can get him to get both on first, it will help.

Can he not loosen himself? Both my kids would get in, put their arms in then reach down and loosen. Then they would buckle.

He can't reach the button to loosen it. It's buried under the cover. I have a hard time getting to it myself.

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus can buckle if it is loosened up a little first. However today, he got himself fully buckled with it set to how it was. I think I was over tightening it & it was causing him to have a hard time. He is getting better & better at it. I think the suggestion to just loosen less over time is a good one.

Kayleen

Any suggestions on how to get child to help buckle and unbuckle when needed? DD is 3yo and has never *knock on wood* undone her chest clip or the buckle and if I ask her to help she 99% of the time does not do anything. She used to do the chest clip up but has never attempted the buckle ever. We have the GN so not too difficult at all. I would have to not over tighten the harness in order for her to buckle it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Any suggestions on how to get child to help buckle and unbuckle when needed? DD is 3yo and has never *knock on wood* undone her chest clip or the buckle and if I ask her to help she 99% of the time does not do anything. She used to do the chest clip up but has never attempted the buckle ever. We have the GN so not too difficult at all. I would have to not over tighten the harness in order for her to buckle it.

3 is still pretty young. My dd could not buckle or unbuckle until she was 4. DS was closer to 5.

Both my kids rode in a Frontier and had no trouble reaching down to loosen the harness. Maybe they have long arms?

jennzee

I'm going to have to try some of these ideas. I've found with my kids that it varies greatly by kid and by seat.

One of my 4yo's can buckle herself quite easily into her tightened Radian....twin brother can't buckle his at all, tight or loose.

My 6yo was able to buckle himself into his RA at 3yo, Radian at 3yo, and Nautilus (and tighten and loosen himself in that seat). We recently switched him to the FR85 and have it in harness mode currently (getting ready to go on vacay and I want him harnessed for the long ride) and he really struggles to get himself buckled in. He can't reach the lever to loosen it up and even if he could, you have to pull the strap down to tighten it, where he could pull the Nautilus strap up as he sat back.

emandbri

Sucsess! Elizabeth was able to buckle the radian today and I don't loosen the straps on it. She and the little girl I watch also have an easier time buckling when they don't have jackets on.

alake

Leah can buckle herself in at 3 years old, into her frontier xt, with the harness tight, where her auntie julie, can't buckle her in because it is too tight. I keep it fairly tight. Julie asked me why I keep it so tight, and I said I always have it that tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC