Harness height question..

Baylor

Can someone explain to me why we lose harness height when installing seats? Does it change the shape of the seat? This is bugging me... A lot..

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Because you measure the height for a forward facing seat parallel to the ground. If the seat gets reclined in forward facing mode, the straps are lower to the ground (because of the angle), and you lose a bit of harness height.

Mae

It's magical. :p

No, I really don't know. Sometimes you lose height, sometimes you gain. I guess it depends on the angle of your (vehicle) seat vs. the angle of the car seat.

I just sum it up to ... it's magical. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It changes the angle the child is at to the seat.

Sometimes you seem to gain height, too, with some seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Imagine sitting upright in a recliner. Your shoulder is at one spot. Now recline the recliner, and your shoulders are in another spot.

Ironically, when I try this in my own recliner, I GAIN space rather than losing it, which is the opposite of what seems to happen with car seats.

So yeah, I go with the "mysteries of life" explanation and try not to think about it too much.

Baylor

It's magical. :p

No, I really don't know. Sometimes you lose height, sometimes you gain. I guess it depends on the angle of your (vehicle) seat vs. the angle of the car seat.

I just sum it up to ... it's magical. :)

I had to install my Gn in my mom's edge last night and I was just all in a quandry about it.. I think I popped a vessel thinking about it.. I like " Its magical..."

It changes the angle the child is at to the seat.

Sometimes you seem to gain height, too, with some seats.

That is interesting. Didn't know you could gain.. now I will try and pay attention as I install in other cars too..

This stuff is really cool. You just do not realize all there is to it until you really get into it. I am completely addicted.

Mae

That is interesting. Didn't know you could gain.. now I will try and pay attention as I install in other cars too..

Yep. Ever hear us mention, "Well the Radian (or True Fit, etc) has top slots that measure XYZ, but my kid seems to have more room in the Radian than in the (Insert seat with lower measured harness height" ? Yeah, that's what we're talking about. It depends on the (car) seat, and the (vehicle) seat. Sometimes you gain, sometimes you lose! When you gain, it's like the lottery ... :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Mae said:
Yep. Ever hear us mention, "Well the Radian (or True Fit, etc) has top slots that measure XYZ, but my kid seems to have more room in the Radian than in the (Insert seat with lower measured harness height" ? Yeah, that's what we're talking about. It depends on the (car) seat, and the (vehicle) seat. Sometimes you gain, sometimes you lose! When you gain, it's like the lottery ... :p

And it's why harness height and torso height aren't always exact sciences. Say a convertible (which tends to have more FF recline) and a combo seat (which tends to be more upright) both have harness heights of 18". A kid is likely to outgrow the first seat before the second.

Jennifer mom to my 7

ANd I managed to gain about .25 inch of torso with my decathlon when I installed it as upright as I could get it. Got another 3 months out of it;) (dd outgrew it at 3.25, would have been 3 if I hadn't tried to push the base back further in the seat).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC