Marathon covers for Fpsvd?

ADS

Splash

Well I have no clue if Britax actually okays it, but I know several people that have with no problem. My vote is yes, but I suppose it's up to you.

They do FIT though, perfectly. So you CAN. Whether or not you want to or whether or not Britax cares is unknown.

amy919

If it fits correctly, I, personally, would be totally comfortable with using it. I don't consider it an aftermarket cover and there's no issue with it being flame retardent.

As for it voiding the warranty, I couldn't care less. If my child was seriously injured in an accident where the seat failed, the cover would be completely irrelevant.

Amy

mominabigtruck

If using a cover that is made specifically for that seat would make a seat unsafe simply because of the brand name on the cover then I don't think I want that seat. If a simple cover could make the seat malfunction then god knows what else could go wrong.

tjham

If using a cover that is made specifically for that seat would make a seat unsafe simply because of the brand name on the cover then I don't think I want that seat. If a simple cover could make the seat malfunction then god knows what else could go wrong.

Exactly! ;)

skaterbabs

You would still be deliberately violating manufacturer's instructions and a good lawyer would argue what other instructions did you ignore.

Connor's Mom

You would still be deliberately violating manufacturer's instructions and a good lawyer would argue what other instructions did you ignore.

Using a different cover would never hold up in a court of law as a way out of liability and I defiantly can not see Britax taking it to court for that reason. Can you say PR nightmare. Plus as I said in the after market cover thread, I would like to see 12 people on a jury say "O' well wrong cover, I am sure that was what caused the child seat to malfunction”

skaterbabs

Feel free to take that risk with your own child. But as a tech I have to tell you that that would violate manufacturer's instructions and in some states (including mine) would be illegal as well as potentially unsafe.

momof2kiddos

Thanks Ladies,I Won't be using one as my child is not a crash dummy testing doll,but I was just wondering if you could because my cousin emailed me a picture of her dd in a fpsv(after I told her i bought one) and it had a ashley floral cover on it,so I was wondering what to tell her.I did tell her though that no one knows what could go wrong using a different cover and that I personally wouldn't but she doesn't care so there is nothing I can do I guess.

Yoshi

As you may know, I used a MA cover on my DC, which is also technically a no-no because it is mislabeled (doesn't match seat shell)....My logic was probably not good, since I figured I'd never be in a lawsuit situation. But you never know. Only legal precedent could say for sure. (But the fit was perfect and the cover was by the same manuafacturer, not a home-made.)

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Feel free to take that risk with your own child. But as a tech I have to tell you that that would violate manufacturer's instructions and in some states (including mine) would be illegal as well as potentially unsafe.

Do you honestly think a police officer is going to pull someone over and give them a ticket for having the wrong cover on a seat since it's technically "illegal"? If something ever went to court, they wouldn't be focusing on what cover was being used during the crash. We have a "proper use" clause in our state as well but I think the police officers are more concerned about the vast majority of children that are unrestrained vs the parents having a different cover (mind you from the same parent company) Most of the cops I trained with have never seen a car seat prior to the class. They'd have no idea what cover goes to what seat.

If it was an ebay aftermarket cover that I know you could get the fabric from wal-mart or whatever, i probablly wouldn't buy it. But it's a cover made from their parent company. I'd do it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's highly unlikely that a cop will recognize an illegal seatcover (for those states with proper use clauses) ... but if there was a crash, it could void liability & if it were taken to court, the fact that it was illegal would also not look good.

Since I don't live in a state with a proper use clause, this seems to be an acceptable risk to me (ebay covers are not!) but if I lived in a state with proper use clause (& I personally think all should have it) then I wouldn't switch covers.

Splash

It's just not worth the risk.

What risk do you REALLY think there is? Honestly. Forget the bean counting. I've seen a lot of this on this site lately, things that will never matter, and people get bent out. We're not talking using latch and belt at the same time, or rigging it with plywood. We're talking about a cover made for the SAME SEAT by the SAME MANUFACTURER. There is no risk. Plenty of people do it, I know several people with a FPSVD and a MA cover. Now, just because people do it, doesn't make it right. BUT, they are the same seat, with the same cover. You're acting like the Britax sticker makes all the difference in the world, in which case it does become a "Britax snob" issue... like someone shouldn't be able to "pretend" to have a Britax when they didn't shell out big bucks for it.

By the way, I called Britax on it yesterday. I've been talking to another member of this board about what Britax does and does not "allow" when it comes to covers, and she said that she's talked to them before and gotten the okay for after market covers with no sweat. So, I called to find out. Not only did they tell me it was fine to use a DC cover on a MA or a MA on the DC as long as the slots lined up, they also told me it was fine to embroider something on my cover as long as it was not interfering with the harness. And when I asked about after market covers for my son who needs a cotton cover, I was told that as long as it was made to the same specifications and the same thickness that it was fine.

So... seems that Britax plum doesn't care. Because there is no safety difference in a different cover. I asked about the flame resistance and was told that it would be better to have a flame retardant cover, but if I can't find one, don't worry.

skaterbabs

Sorry - I'm glad you're comfortable taking the word of some random CS rep (especially given the history of Britax CS) but I'm not and as a tech my job is to teach parents to FOLLOW THE MANUAL.

You cannot just choose which rules you want to follow. if you disagree with me fine, but it is irresponsible of you to claim there is no difference.

Yoshi

By the way, I called Britax on it yesterday. I've been talking to another member of this board about what Britax does and does not "allow" when it comes to covers, and she said that she's talked to them before and gotten the okay for after market covers with no sweat. So, I called to find out. Not only did they tell me it was fine to use a DC cover on a MA or a MA on the DC as long as the slots lined up, they also told me it was fine to embroider something on my cover as long as it was not interfering with the harness. And when I asked about after market covers for my son who needs a cotton cover, I was told that as long as it was made to the same specifications and the same thickness that it was fine.

So... seems that Britax plum doesn't care. Because there is no safety difference in a different cover. I asked about the flame resistance and was told that it would be better to have a flame retardant cover, but if I can't find one, don't worry.

Makes perfect sense to me. They could have an official policy that we don't know about. It isn't an issue I would personally lose sleep over. But a tech will say what they are trained to do. It's like computers- plenty of people use "borrowed" software that they got from a friend (illegal) or download movies free (illegal) or use their neighbor's wireless network (illegal) and my DH would tear them a new you-know-what over that. He won't touch a machine that doesn't have up-to-date licenses on all the software. But people still do it. Their machine won't explode, but they shouldn't do it on principle and ethically, it's wrong.

mominabigtruck

I fail to see how it is an ethics thing? Other then the fact that I'm sure britax charges more for their covers then fisher price does. It's the same seat!! I don't think its any different then buying a different cover for your seat then the one that came with.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I dont think it has anything to do with ethics, she was just giving an example.

I think the issue is that it truely is a parental decision. If you dont have a problem using an aftermarket cover, or a cover that is made by a different brand, then that is your decision. The same goes for strictly staying within the covers that the brand makes. If you are comfortable with your decision, and are educated on the topic (and I think anyone who has come to this board to ask about it is definately educated on the topic, some more than others, but still educated no doubt.) then theres no need for you, or anyone else, to question your decision. I dont think anyone here wants to put their child in danger, its just that some of us has different views on what is dangerous and what isnt. IMHO. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC