kid helpers at seat checks

christineka

I was thinking it might be fun to bring my 9 and 11 year olds to seat checks. They could take turns as my scribe. If there were any kids that needed a kid's view of riding in a booster, my kids might be able to help. Is this a good idea? Can I bring my kids?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have a problem with kids BEING at checks (luckily my coalition doesn't either), but I wouldn't have them involved in the checks themselves. I don't think it would instill a lot of confidence in parents to see a 9-year-old scribing. It seems unprofessional.

SafeKids might even have a rule about people needing to be 18 or something before they can help. Not sure about that though.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I brought Thomas to an event once, but it wasn't SafeKids. He didn't scribe, but he was in charge of helping people back out safely, leave the parking lot going the right direction, and just being a gopher in general. He was very helpful.

bethng

I bring one or two of my kids all the time (17, 12,9) but the most I allow them to do is pass out clip boards to waiting cars. I would never ever have them scribe. I am sure my senior checker would have something to say about that....like ...NO

christineka

I just thought, all a scribe does is fill in the bubbles and write what I say. They don't actually check the seat. A gopher or someone handing out clipboards sounds like a good idea. I know my 9 and 11 year olds would love to help out and be involved.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
christineka said:
I just thought, all a scribe does is fill in the bubbles and write what I say.

But a parent doesn't know what the kid is doing...or if they're doing it right. Plus there are grown adults who screw up those forms. They're not exactly the most intuitive things ever created. My coalition leader is a HUGE stickler about the forms, and I can't imagine she'd let a kid do it.

Have them pass out clipboards, sure. Help entertain the littler kids who come with their parents, sure. But nothing in any official capacity.

christineka

It's a good thing I asked here:) I have only worked one seat check. I checked one car seat in a 3 hour time block. It would be no problem to proofread that form. We were told to fill it out in pencil so that things could be changed. I now realize, it's good to have a knowledgeable person working with me to make sure I remember everything and give out correct advice. A scribe would then do more than just write things down. Good to know and think about!

Mommy0608

I agree with the others... general gopher yes, scribe no. As a parent, I'd be a little weirded out if a kid were filling in bubbles on a clipboard during my check. :eek:

There's one tech that I work with often who does bring her daughter (probably about 10 years old). She entertains little kids while parents are working with the tech, fetches things, etc. She's quite helpful. :) I plan to bring DD in a few years when she's 7 or so. She already wants to go with me but I feel she's a little too young to be much help (she'd need more supervision than I'd be able to provide).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had a 9-10 yr old helper. He was great. He grabbed me noodles, car seats, and yelled "car moving" when needed.

DahliaRW

I'd love to have a 9 or 10 year old standing right there by me helping keep my kids busy while the tech shows me how to install my seats. Juggling little kids at car seat installs is a real pain, and an extra set of eyes would not hurt.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Most checks are busy! That one was insanely slow. The last one I went to, in 4 hours, we gave away over 100 car seats and checked probably well over 200. We were running like crazy the whole time.

Your girls would have been great there though! Handing out the clipboards, getting noodles, locking clips (yes, I did use a few), car seats, drinks, the scale & height stick, and playing with kids.

I doubt very much if they'd let them fill out forms though.

leighi123

I bring my ds, his 'job' is to help entertain the kids while I talk to their parents. And sometimes I use him as a demo if their kid isnt cooperating. He also hands out stickers and the coloring books we have to the kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC