Traveling long distance and new booster user?

fyrfightermomma

Forgive me since I'm new to the booster world. Evelyn has been in a booster full time about a month now and is doing great.

We are headed to KY in a month (to see Menfusse!!!!) and it's about a 9 hour drive from here

For a kiddo that's new to a booster, do you have them ride in their booster for that long of a drive? I can see her getting antsy and being able to move all around if she wanted too might be a bad thing.

Or would a kid who is used to a booster be annoyed by a harness? I have a seat she can ride in (she can use the Frontier and Sophia can use our old Radian) so it's not a huge deal

She never ever sleeps in the car but also has never ever been on longer than a 2 hour drive lol

What do you guys usually do?

She is 5 years 8 months

ADS

christineka

I'd put her in the harness. It would not be good if you are 4 hours from home and E just won't sit right in the booster because she's tired. Since the seat is a combo, you might even use it as a booster and bring along the harness for just in case. There are so many unknowns that I'd want to be prepared.

Angela

I agree to take the harness with you, just in case. As for a kiddo who's used to being in a booster being uncomfortable in a harness, I think it depends on the kid. DS rode in a booster from the time he was 3 until he was 4.5 (before I knew better). He had no problems switching to a harnessed seat and actually prefers them over his booster now. I can see some kids being annoyed by them though, if they like that freedom of movement.

MommyBoha

Im facing this as well. We travel to FL several times a year and its an 8 hour drive, and we do it overnight. Next month will be the first time we've traveled since DS has been full time boostered and Im worried.

icnee

I would also put her in the harness or at least bring the harness with you. my 9 soon to be 10 yo I know does not stay sitting right the whole time on a 2.5 hour ride, so I put him in a harness and the last itme he did fine if anything he was just annoyed that he had to be stuck in one spot ( he was 8 I think the last time) and he had been in a booster since 3 before I knew better.

daniele_ut

DS started riding in a booster full time in September, at 5 years 11 months old. When we drove to CA in October (11 hours over 2 days) I chose to put him back in his Nautilus for the trip. I was afraid he'd be too fidgety in the Parkway. He's been riding in the booster long enough now that I think I'd be ok with the booster now for a long drive, though.

Citrine

My daughter was riding full time in a booster from June to Aug 14th 2010. When we made our move in the middle of August 2010 from SC to CT, she rode in her Regent and was fine with that. The straps did not bother her. We got rid of the regant in the fall. We have since been on many 3-4hour road trips with her in the booster, and she has been fine.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
B moves from harness to booster and back with no problems. For a long trip I would choose the harness.

Mom-of-Two

Another vote for harness! No question. :)

On a side note, how does it work traveling overnight, do the kids sleep as they normally would? We are doing a 12hr trip in June and hubby wants to leave in the night and drive several hours while they sleep, then stop for breakfast/rest, etc and do a few more hours of awake time. I am SO nervous with a 3yo and 6yo to attempt this. :) They do both rest/sleep well in their MA and Regent (although it's been a long time since the 6.5yo has allowed herself to fall asleep!)

But yes, harness her! You'll feel better and so will she.

Melanie

I vote harness. My almost 6yo is an excellent booster rider as well (she's my rule follower). But when she sleeps she squiggles slightly out of position. I think it's much easier to sleep in a harness. DD doesn't complain about being harnessed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC