Long trip- MA or Nauti?

Mom-of-Two

My 3yo is FF in a Marathon full time but we also have a Nautilus to use. He complains that his crotch area hurts in the Marathon several times a week, I always make sure he is sitting up really straight which I think helps him from slouching down against the buckle-he sleeps great in the Marathon because of it's recline and the sides, he just rests his head there when sleeping.

We are taking a 12+ hr trip in June and I am just wondering what would be the most comfy for him, the Marathon is great for sleeping but the Nautilus has the cupholder and little cubbies which would make it nice for traveling for sure. He's only rode in it twice (he was still RF until before 3) but liked it, I have no idea if the crotch area is an issue in that seat or not. He has room in front of the buckle in the Marathon and he's pretty little so I really don't know why it bugs him.

What would you use on the trip? I am concerned about the lack of recline on the Nautilus and want him to be as comfy as possible. I would hate for him to be slumped over forward for much of the sleeping time! The way I understand it is that the recline on the Nauti is just for helping install it, not for actually reclining back- my friend has Nauti's for both of her girls and uses them on long vacations, she says she reclines them, I know this cannot be safe- the recline feature is not meant for that, correct?

We drive a 2004 Sienna, btw, I have only had the Nautilus installed in there once.

ADS

emandbri

I would take the nautilus. I also have a 2004 sienna and I recline the seat of the van so the nautilus has more of a recline.

Mom-of-Two

See, that's what I was wondering, if it safe to recline the actual vehicle seat a click or two to make the Nauti more reclined- I would actually use the Nauti full time right now if he was able to sleep in it, because I think he'd be happier in it with the extras it has- I don't fully understand why he is having an issue in the Marathon since the Nautilus is notorious for crotch issues.

DahliaRW

In the Sienna, if you install with LATCH you have to have the seat reclined in the 5th position (for captain's chairs), which is a bit reclined.

Why not install the nautilus now and let him try it out on some longer trips. Then you can see how it works out.

If you have room, you could have both seats on the trip as well and let him switch as he wants.

Mom-of-Two

Reclined 5 clicks?? Wow, certainly never heard that before! I don't know if I could recline my Regent that much!

But it may be helpful for the Nautilus.

DahliaRW

Reclined 5 clicks?? Wow, certainly never heard that before! I don't know if I could recline my Regent that much!

But it may be helpful for the Nautilus.

The back of the captains seat, not the car seat itself.

Your manual should say that (the Sienna). I missed it the first time installing, and someone here mentioned it.

Mom-of-Two

Yep I know you mean the captains seat itself, but what I was saying is my regent would be so reclined then, for a 6.5yo. Maybe I better go read my manual!

I know I don't have the captains chairs all the way upright now, I am certain the seat that the MA is installed on is back at least a couple clicks.

Interesting.

DahliaRW

Of you do a seatbelt install you don't have to have it in 5th position, so you could just install the regent with that.

Mom-of-Two

Alright SO I am either losing my mind or it's not there- but, I have read the Sienna manual's car seat section front to back twice, and there is nothing regarding needing to recline the captain's chairs to install with LATCH. There is nothing regarding recline other than NOT to recline the seat AFTER a car seat is properly installed (obviously).

Is this certain years of the Sienna?

Oh well, at any rate I am going to clean my van out this week b/c of the nicer weather, so maybe I will just take both seats out and install again, and try out the seat belt install on the Regent then, and raise her harness straps up. She has been AT the shoulder FOREVER, it is definitely not coming from below but I figure it would be easier to do at the same time as changing the install. Although the top slot is still a few inches above her shoulders. Even at 6.5 which is crazy! :)

Mom-of-Two

Thanks!!

At least that does answer my question that it IS ok to have the back of the captain's chair reclined a few clicks to help install and a more natural recline of the car seat. :)

This morning I took the Nauti inside and cleaned that sucker out, the harness strap coming from the base of the seat was twisted, I fixed that and washed the seat cushion, checked his fit, and once the cushion is all dry I will install it in the van and try it out just to see if he likes it better than his Marathon. I don't know how he can't be comfy in the Marathon, it has a nice recline, soft and comfy, and he does sleep nicely against the side walls, but he constantly complaints his neck and boy parts hurt. ;) He is nowhere near the crotch strap so I don't get it. In fact, I don't see how the Nauti could be MORE comfy in that respect since many boys complain about that crotch strap.

At any rate, I will see how it works out, if he likes it more, I will just put the Marathon into the other car.

I do wish the Nauti had EPS foam throughout, rather than just in the head. ;)

Mom-of-Two

So I did put the Nauti in the van, he's been riding in it close to a week, not a complaint from him yet. :) I do wonder though- do you Nauti users find any advantage to using the recline feature? I have it fully reclined, it installed beautifully but it would have without the recline. I put him in the seat to see how the fit changed when I had it reclined or not, and it just seemed like it did allow him a bit more recline when in it, when it was in recline mode.

While he has not complained, it's like he's down in a deep hole! He cannot climb in and out, it's just too deep. His legs are sort of up in the air, LOL...funny thing is he can cross them, he has enough space.

He has not fallen asleep in it yet, I am hoping he will today as it's nap time and I have to pick up my oldest from school (don't usually).

I am praying for no head slump!

Oh and btw I would share the pics I took but I don't know how! :)))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC