Vent shocking shocking I tell you

mumof2

this is taken from a facebook group I am in

"Hello,
The Maxi Cosi Complete Air is combination in the view that it is both a forwar...d facing car seat, and can be used as a harnessed booster seat until the child grows out of it. In accordance with Australian Safety standards, it is generally not considered safe to use a rear facing seat once a child can sit up straight of their own accord, and support their own head weight un-aided. This usually happens at 6-8 months or approximately 8-9kg, and all car seats in Australia are designed with this intent. Of course all children develop at different speeds, but I would strongly recommend not leaving your child in rear facing for as long as you intend. "

OMG that makes me so angry reading that..how can it be unsafe to rearface your child past 6 months!!!!

do these australain carseat manufacturers think that australian babies/children are made different to children in Sweden, New Zealand , USA, Canada!!!!

I mean I am just at the stage where I would be ok (and only if I really had to) forward face my 3 year old..my 15 month old forget it.

I am glad lving in NZ that I at least have the choice to be able to rearface my child beyond 12 months.

ADS

henrietta

Is this written by a parent (terribly deadly uninformed parent) or by Maxi Cosi?? Maxi Cosi knows better--that's Dorel...the Complete Air here rearfaces to 40 lbs!

ugh

henrietta

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
But this is Austrailia. It is what they believe. They have not found ERF to be helpful, so they do not do it.

msg221

Yes, they do FF six month olds. Example:

Laife-1-1.jpg

I have a lot of family that live in Australia and my cousin's wife posted that photo on FB of her great nephew who was about two weeks shy of turning six months, FF in his seat, straps all twisted and hanging off his shoulders. I asked her about the FF and she double checked the laws there and they are allowed to FF at six months (so he was still too young to FF according to Australian laws, but he was because his mother claimed he was too fussy RF). I was horrified as well. I also asked her to please make sure that the baby's mother would fit the harness straps on him properly. Thankfully my cousin's wife was was very receptive and not defensive. Not sure if she ever said anything to the baby's mother though.

Mokek Kwe

Wow, and I lamented that the US was behind the Scandinavian countries in carseat safety..... At least we aren't THAT bad!

Baylor

How do you not look at that and think.. My baby will go through the windshield if I stop too fast..???

I get not knowing some things.. But that to me is a no brainer.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
henrietta said:
Is this written by a parent (terribly deadly uninformed parent) or by Maxi Cosi?? Maxi Cosi knows better--that's Dorel...the Complete Air here rearfaces to 40 lbs!

ugh

henrietta

Dorel's opinion on ERF changes based on the country. When the British Medical Journal's study about rear-facing until 4 came out, Dorel's European division issued a statement that basically said, "Yeah, ERF is great, but it's also really inconvenient and kids need to interact with other people, so turn them FF whenever you want."

Joddle

None of that statement is correct! The maxi cosi over here is FF only, 8-18kgs, NOT a booster as well. And the RF stuff she says, just WTF! Can you please link me to the forum that is in? An Aussie one I'm guessing...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Joddle said:
None of that statement is correct! The maxi cosi over here is FF only, 8-18kgs, NOT a booster as well.

The statement is terribly worded, but I didn't take it as saying anything other than that. They say it's a FF seat and can be used as a HARNESSED booster (not sure what the distinction is there). I mean, yes, "harnessed booster" implies that it is also an unharnessed booster, but I don't think that's what was meant.

Joddle

The statement is terribly worded, but I didn't take it as saying anything other than that. They say it's a FF seat and can be used as a HARNESSED booster (not sure what the distinction is there). I mean, yes, "harnessed booster" implies that it is also an unharnessed booster, but I don't think that's what was meant.

True, but she also says 'combination seat' which infers 2 different ways to use. Not trying to argue, i just think that parents that read it may see conbination and assume it's a booster too. I wish people would research and give correct advice, or give none at all if the aren't sure. Leads to too many problems!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I agree. Like I said, it was horribly worded.

Did it, indeed, come from a company representative?

Joddle

Oh, I agree. Like I said, it was horribly worded.

Did it, indeed, come from a company representative?

I'd like to know this too! Sounds like it's from a parent but you never know. If it's from a rep it's even worse, and I will be contacting my ACRI trainer to see if he can contact them about it!

When the SNS (Britax) MaxiRider combo seat came out over here, they had billboards with a 6-8ish month old baby and the words "your child's first graduation"! It's bad enough parents can't wait to turn FF without big companies encouraging it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC