How do you make use of your certification?

Chila88

For those of you who don't have a job where your certification is relevant.....what kinds of things do you do to make use of it? Do you volunteer at checks? Do you help out friends and family?

I have an opportunity to get my certificaton at a course in May. This is obviously a big area of interest for me, and friends and family often come to me with questions and for advice, so I feel like having my certification would be a good thing. However, I was told by the fellow offering the course that most people who take it in my area do so as part of their job.......so I'm just wondering for those of you who were once in my shoes, and did go ahead and get it.....why do you like having your certification? Do you recommend getting it?

ADS

HayleyCPST

I started out as a Nanny, which sparked becoming a CPST. My man and I took the seats to get checked one time and the senior checker was so surprised that we knew so much! She told us about the course and I ended up doing it (he didn't). I'm now a regular checker at that same site every month!

It comes in handy being a Nanny because parents trust me to make their kiddos safe all day long. It just kinda makes sense that I make sure they are keeping them safe too. I offer to check seats of every family I babysit for and their friends. Free of course. I've never had anyone decline the offer! They seem to respect me even more after.

After the check, I feel better that the kids are safer and the parents feel better too (sometimes worse at first but then better). It's also delightful to educate them about safety.

I'm also a doula. I have yet to do any certification births (waiting until the summer), but I'm picturing somehow incorporating being a CPST into that.
So, long story short... I didn't have to do this for my job. It definitely might look better than someone else a family is interviewing for on my resume, but that's not why I got certified. I got certified because I'm passionate about children and about safety.

I love being certified! The fact that it feels like I'm helping humanity is so great. I volunteer at checks whenever I can, I do the monthly checks (paid) and I also do free checks for anyone who asks. I've checked all my neighbors seats and relatives too. It's nice to be the only one in the community that people go to for help.

If it interests you (and it sounds like it does), go ahead and do it! It's fun. You get to meet great people, cute kiddos and make connections. Hope that helps! If you have any questions, ask!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've volunteered at SafeKids-sponsored checks, store-sponsored checks, and our local air force base hospital. Our local police station has my number on file and they refer to me when someone calls them asking for a seat check or in need of a seat. I've also helped coordinate events at our local Headstart, presented for childbirth classes, and done presentations for local groups.

It does take a little more persistence, since other techs didn't seem to want to call me since I wasn't getting paid, but after a couple of years of showing up at all the SafeKids checks I could make it to, & just basically bugging the crap out of various people involved in public education, they know me and will call when they have a need for a tech. I've still a few people to win over, though. :whistle:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I volunteer with two local SafeKids coalitions. I have also done some work for SafetyBeltSafe (though not for a while), and I do private checks with a company my friend runs.

msg221

I've worked an event for our local Safe Kids and hope to work more when I am not buried in school work. I also help out friends and co-workers when I can.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I didn't get certified "for" my job necessarily, although I do use it in the course of my job (nanny, like Hayley.) I install my own seats, and do checks for the kids' parents. In addition, I make myself available to friends at church, I've occasionally been able to help someone in Target or BRU :)love:) and I've done a few private checks, along with SK ones.

I'm not as active as I'd like to be, but there's a huge difference in being "certified" vs "car seat dork" in terms of people listening to you... even if you're delivering the exact same information. That alone has made a huge difference for me.

I'm also the type that feels if I only help two or three kids a year, my certification is worth it. :D

Little Ps Mama

I'm not as active as I'd like to be, but there's a huge difference in being "certified" vs "car seat dork" in terms of people listening to you... even if you're delivering the exact same information. That alone has made a huge difference for me.

This is exactly why I want to get certified.

Chila88

I think this is my main reasoning as well. I laughed when you said 'car seat dork' cuz that's totally what I routinely call myself to family and friends when they ask me for advice. But I agree....I think I would be heard more if I was certified.

What about liability issues....as I understand it, when you check a seat, you in the end make sure the install they drive away with was done by the parents right? So does this relieve you of any liability issued should (heaven forbid) something happen? Do you have your client/friends/family sign a form or anything??? Has anyone ever come back at you for having given them misleading or incorrect information??? (not that you, or I, ever would on purpose....but I suppose the chance exists right???) These are just a few fears I have!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What about liability issues....as I understand it, when you check a seat, you in the end make sure the install they drive away with was done by the parents right? So does this relieve you of any liability issued should (heaven forbid) something happen? Do you have your client/friends/family sign a form or anything??? Has anyone ever come back at you for having given them misleading or incorrect information??? (not that you, or I, ever would on purpose....but I suppose the chance exists right???) These are just a few fears I have!

You can get the same form used by SafeKids and add your own liability waiver statement to it, that's what I do. Everyone who gets a seat check from me has to fill out & sign the form. I don't think anything ever relieves you of liability; I could get sued for brushing against someone as I walk past them in the grocery store, yk?

I think it probably does more to reduce my liability that I stress that I'm an educator. Even if there are no vehicle manuals or carseat manuals available, I always explain where I got the info I'm giving them, and make sure they know they could access it as well. If it's written on the stickers on the seat, I point it out, if we don't have the manual, I tell them "The manual for this seat allows the handle to be in these positions, but not these, while in the car." If I use my LATCH manual, I explain that it's a compilation of info from a whole lot of vehicle manuals.

I feel very strongly about this, so it's very much a part of my conversation with parents. I want them to walk away feeling like they are the ones doing the install, they are the ones responsible for their child, and it's up to them to make the decisions and follow through. I try to make sure everything I say reflects that, so they rarely get a straight black-and-white answer to any question. Even when I mention rear-facing carseats in front of airbags, I always explain why it's dangerous, instead of just reminding them "okay, rear-facing seats and airbags don't mix."

I've never had a complaint that I know of. I've had a couple of times where the parent would call me back and say "Remember that one thing you weren't sure about? I called the company and they said something really weird, what do you think?" But basically, if I'm not sure about something, I tell them that up front, so there's really no reason they'd need to call me back screaming about how I said XYZ and the company said ABC and now they're going to throw dung-bombs at my house, yk?

morlando27

Unfortunately, I don't make use of my certification as much as I would like to. I've worked at several seat check events but there seem to be plenty of techs in my area (for nearly all of whom it is a job requirement) so I don't really feel needed and my style doesn't match that of the CPST-I who coordinates the local events. I'm also pretty shy and seldom have the nerve to strike up a conversation about car seats with family/friends much less strangers. If I had the time, I'd try to find a way to volunteer at the local hospitals but as of now I don't think I'm going to renew when my certification runs out in August.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC