Would you booster a 4yr in THIS situaton?

NannyMom

Sofi is 4.5, but only 34 pounds. I'd like to try her in a booster, but not until 40 pounds. She probably won't be heavy enough until closer to 6. Her friend Alex weighs 40 pounds, and is like 1 month younger. I know he rides in a nbb in 1 of their cars. I know his parents wouldn't care what seat he uses in MY car, because they totally trust me.

I have a HBB sitting next to Sofi that I use every afternoon. I will soon be driving Alex every Mon/Wed/Fri. I'm not asking "would you put this 40 pound 4yr in a HBB", I'm asking "Would you put a child the same age as your child in a booster, when your child is over a year away from being able to use one? So, let's just assume the other child is mature enough to use it (because in reality if he isn't mature enough, he won't ride).

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My oldest went to a booster at 4. He did great! As long as he sits fine, I'd be okay with it. Now to explain to your own 4yo, that could be difficult. She can understand that she doesn't weigh enough but she still may want to try the booster.

NannyMom

My oldest went to a booster at 4. He did great! As long as he sits fine, I'd be okay with it. Now to explain to your own 4yo, that could be difficult. She can understand that she doesn't weigh enough but she still may want to try the booster.

That's where I'm running into the problem. How to explain it to Sofi. I don't want to mention she doesn't weigh enough. Because, that's not really something to get into a girl's head, KWIM. But it's not like I can say "Alex is bigger" because to her, they are the same size....same age, height (within an inch or so).

What I'd been doing when I had this situation months ago was I kept 2 extra seats installed in the 3rd row. Sofi and Alex would ride in the 3rd row, HBB would go in the trunk. Second row would have Sofi's seat, and TJ's seat (alex's Baby bro. I traded for a SR32 because it is so easy in/out and gets replaced by a nbb every afternoon for an 8yr).

babyherder

If you have an extra seat, I'd harness both of them. If not, Alex gets the booster and Sofi gets her car seat. You have to decide what reason you give her but I might tell her the weight thing. Don't treat it like a big deal. She's a normal weight for her and Alex is a normal weight for him. People weight different amounts and that's ok. I think if you're ok with Sofi's weight, you help start her on a path of being ok with it. But if you don't want to bring weight into it (and I totally understand not wanting to) I don't think there's anything wrong with "because I said so."

wvmommy007

Maybe just tell her that a booster is his regular seat with his parents?

"Alex rides in a booster with his parents, so he will ride in one with us. Your regular seat is a "whatever" so you'll ride in that until Mommy says it's ok to ride in a booster (perhaps with an age requirement, instead of weight)."

Or harness them both, if you can and would rather.

emandbri

Since you have plenty of harnessed seats, I would harness him. 4 year olds are very concerned with fairness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC