Consumer Reports

mommyof3tx

Hi someone on another forum is looking for an infant seat and was asking why some are so much more if it means the cheaper ones are unsafe. So I explained that all seats are tested the same and as far as we know they are all equally safe but that some have features such as higher weight limits, etc. But that there is no testing showing which seats are actually safest. Someone is now saying that isn't true and that there are many places that show which seats are best and recommended the book Baby Bargains that rates car seats on which are safest?? And also said about how Consumer Reports tests seats against each other showing which are safer. What should I say in response to using the consumer reports to choose which is safest? I am correct in saying they are all equally safe as far as we know, correct?

I had told the OP that she should choose a seat that's within her budget, that fits in her car correctly and she will be able to use correctly all the time. If she's trying to choose from a few maybe to look to see which has a higher weight limit or taller shell because they will last her a little longer so more for her money, but this girl is telling her that's not true and some seats are actually unsafe....

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Consumer reports, and even the nhts? recommendations are only ease of use right now. When cr (consumer reports) messed up their testing 3 or 4 years ago, everyone started just rating in terms of ease of use (as far as I recall). There is no safER seat... as long as they are used correctly every single time.

You are completely correct in telling your friend that she should pick a seat according to her budget, her vehicle, her child, and if she can use it correctly 100% of the time.

Now, that being said, I tend to stear people away from any evenflo infant seat. I also try to get people to go with a graco snug ride 35, over a snugride 22. I love the chicco seat, and adore the safety first onboard air.

But.... ease of use wise.... the snugride 22 isn't TOO hard to install, though it tends to lean with a locked shoulder belt. The snugride 32/35, I hear is awesome to install, because of the built in lockoff. I :love: the keyfit. The onboard 35 air by brother didn't seem to have an issue with. And it fits smaller babies wonderfully. The less expensive onboard 35, with no lockoff on the base, and a 5 pound minimum, is a bit harder to install.

mommyof3tx

Thank you :)

She is looking at a Graco and the price she gave for the travel system I told her I was guessing based on that it was the 22 and that maybe she should look at the 35 because it will last her a lot longer. If she was looking at the Evenflo I would have tried to steer her away too, I don't like their infant seats either....but just my preference not a safety aspect.

I personally LOVE Chicco too, it was what we had for our last son, but she doesn't want to spend that much on a seat which I understand

Kobain's Mommy

Is there a way you could steer her toward picking a seat she likes, and then a stroller she likes? She does not need a "travel system". Many seats work with many different, better than travel system, strollers.

I agree! I got my car seat then bought the matching stroller (wasn't sold as a true system). I ended up later buying a snap n go since the stroller doesn't fit in the trunk of my car (it's in DH's truck). I'm still using the bucket because, 1 it's cold still, and two I love how easy the snap n go stroller is. I have an umbrella stroller but it's got a tiny basket and I can't see baby while out and about with it.

Also with the SnugRide 22s let her know most babies out grow those really early! My LO would have outgrown it by height around 6 months. He still fits in he's 32. He's right at the 1" so if we get any torso growth I'll be moving him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC