Checkpoint today WWYD?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Okay, there is a checkpoint today full of brand new techs (Christine included) I thought it might be fun to take my van full of kids/seats in there.

Here's the WWYD:

Go as is, don't touch seats, and see what they say about them being ERF, boostered past 8, and installed properly.

OR

Get a block away and take the kids out and mess it all up (loosen harnesses, loosen installs, I can even turn my Radian FF and leave the boot on, I could make it a disaster for them).

I can also drive past first to see how busy they are and then make my decision. Should I have fun with them or just let them see a 4yo RF, 21mo RF (heck I can put my 6yo back in the Nautilus so she's harnessed too. Too bad the PW is in dh's car or I could put the 9yo in a highback).

ADS

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Get a block away and take the kids out and mess it all up (loosen harnesses, loosen installs, I can even turn my Radian FF and leave the boot on, I could make it a disaster for them).

:yeahthat:

I feel that at my checkpoint there wasn't alot of misuse (which is a good thing) and I really feel we could have used a really screwed up seat especially to learn how to talk to the parent

Dillipop

I wouldn't drive even a block knowing that my seats were being used improperly. You live in Utah (no offense meant, I love it out there and would return if DH had any inkling to.) Chances are, from my experience with family and friends out there, the new techs will get plenty of misuse. Go as is and let them see real life people practicing best practice instead of minimums.

keri1292

Even just for a block I just couldn't let my kids ride unsafely. Take them as they are. :twocents:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Dillipop said:
I wouldn't drive even a block knowing that my seats were being used improperly. You live in Utah (no offense meant, I love it out there and would return if DH had any inkling to.) Chances are, from my experience with family and friends out there, the new techs will get plenty of misuse. Go as is and let them see real life people practicing best practice instead of minimums.

Yes, that. I'd also add that you should go ONLY if no one else is waiting. If they're dying for cars, great. The extra practice can't hurt. If there is anyone else waiting, though, don't go. Leave the spots available for people who actually need the help.

momtotwogirls

I went to a checkpoint last June and there was PLENTY of misuse. The senior tech said I was the only car they saw that everyhting was installed correctly and my 3 yr old was still rear facing. Where is the check at? Ive been meaning to message you or find a check for my FN85.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
It's at the Midvale Fire dept. 7200 S. 607 E. from 2-6pm. Maybe I'll see you there. I will probably be there around 4:00-4:15ish.

momtotwogirls

It's at the Midvale Fire dept. 7200 S. 607 E. from 2-6pm. Maybe I'll see you there. I will probably be there around 4:00-4:15ish.

Ill probably be there around the same time since Im waiting until my youngest wakes up around 3:30. :) if you see a red rodeo with a cow FN85 that me ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't "test" them. They will see plenty of misuse, but probably won't see many ERF toddlers/kids. They need to see some good and normal!

go in with your beautiful installs and impress them!! and then outsmart them if they say anything about boostering past the legal age and extended rear facing

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
OP, are you a tech? I think you are, but I don't remember and I'm on my app where no one is "green."

If you're not actually in NEED of a seat check, I'd get in touch with one of the instructors to see if they want you to swing by. I could see an instructor being appreciative of letting the new techs see proper use, especially if things are slow. I can also see an instructor being kinda pissed about a fellow tech coming by unannounced. Not that you don't have a right to if it's a public check... It just might make things awkward.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If you're not actually in NEED of a seat check, I'd get in touch with one of the instructors to see if they want you to swing by. I could see an instructor being appreciative of letting the new techs see proper use, especially if things are slow. I can also see an instructor being kinda pissed about a fellow tech coming by unannounced. Not that you don't have a right to if it's a public check... It just might make things awkward.

I agree.

Also, please don't try to teach em anything :eek: They are already full of info and kinda confused, and if you go please just stand back and let them figure everything out on their own. The tech who is supervising your group of techs would be most grateful.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I plan to drive by and if they are busy, I may not even stop. If they are not too busy, I'll stop and say Hi and if they are really slow, I'll let them check my seats. One of the lead instructors is a very good friend of mine (though I do not have a way to contact her when she's out of her office) plus Christine. I also know at least 2 of the other instructors.
I'll play it by ear and see how busy they are. My own kids will not want to sit there waiting forever for a check I don't nee.

And Yes, I am a tech. And I need to update my sig.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
They were totally bored! I didn't mess things up, just went in as a parent (who happened to know most of the instructors well enough for them to come give me a hug when they saw me). They did mention that I was doing things very well.
I had to laugh when they asked if my seats had been checked before. Well, not at an event like this but yes, they've been checked by a tech (ME). LOL, it was fun though. I love those events!

christineka

It was good to chat:) I was bored waiting for my turn to be a checker. I got to check one seat. I've got the date of another check and am planning to go. I hope there are less techs and more cars. I want to actually do something!

Oh, and it probably was good for these techs to actually see older kids rfing. In the class we were taught to rf to the limits of the convertible and that rfing was safest, but they didn't actually mention ages. They stated that a 4 year old that was over 40 pounds and has no special needs should be in a booster.

NannyMom

A friend/instructor suggested I come by a check with my kids/seats a year or so ago. I decided to have them switch some seats around. I came in with Sofi RF in the TF, BabyS RF in the SS1. I wanted to leave with Sofi RF in the Radian and BabyS RF in the TF. IMO, it was good that I went. They tried to tell me Sofi had to FF in the Radian because she was 24 pounds (that darn wording "must use RF 20 pounds or less..."). At least 2 techs learned something in my car (and not from me....from their instructors. I played as a non-tech until my friend gave me up).

So, I would have gone with switching seats around.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I should check with my instructor friend about showing up with a Coccoro (European routing) some day. Our events typically have appointments booked solid, though, plus I usually work the new-tech ones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC