Ugh! Bad day. More problems with my son.

ajweeks

I just can't believe all the problems that my son has. I feel so bad for him. He was just diagnosed with ADHD and sensory integration issues--mainly noise sensitivities. At his 5 year old well visit his doctor thought that he might not be seeing well out of his left eye. I just thought that he wasn't paying attention to the test, but made an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist. We just had the appointment today--it too awhile to get in. My heart just sank right away as the nurse told Ben to first cover his left eye and read the letters with his right eye (his good eye). He did this fine. Then she had him switch eyes and he couldn't do it! He kept trying to cheat and move the cover. This is the same thing that he did at his well visit. So then the eye doctor dilated his eyes and looked at them and could tell that he was definitely farsighted and that his left eye was much worse than his right eye. He said that his right eye has been compensating for the left and that is why it is hard to catch and on the surface it seems like he can see fine. Strange that he is farsighted because he is already reading well.

In any case, not only does he need to wear glasses, but for 2 hrs. per/day he is supposed to wear an eye patch over his good eye to help strengthen his bad one. The doctor said that if we don't do the patch, his brain will never learn how to use his bad eye since it is basically shutting down the function of his left eye at this point because his vision isn't as good. So wearing the patch will allow his brain to recognize what 20/20 vision is, even if he still continues to need glasses to help his eyes achieve 20/20. I asked him how I was supposed to get him to wear an eye patch and he said that I'll just have to try and that most kids will respond to a reward system, etc. I replied that he wasn't "most" kids, but that I'll try. I just felt like crying, one more thing! He already struggles, but will now have to wear glasses and an eye patch for 2 hours a day.

We tried the eye patch tonight and while we were able to keep it on for the two hours it was a struggle. Hopefully it will get easier once he has his glasses on and his eye gets stronger. Tonight we had to use extra first aid tape because he kept trying to peel off a corner to peek. He was so frustrated because he really can't see well at all out of his left eye. He couldn't read, play computer or even watch TV well and as a result he was just bouncing off the walls hyper and upset complaining that he couldn't see. I told him he could take it off at bath and after he tore it off I asked him how his eyes felt. He replied, "they work again!" Poor guy, wearing the patch will be really hard for him for awhile.

DH and I both wear glasses so hopefully he'll accept them and won't break or lose them because they aren't going to be cheap!

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

this too shall pass. and you will get through it. weve been doing weekly pt and 23 hours of her helmet a day. its been a struggle, especially working two jobs, but were getting through it, and you will too. just find comfort in knowing that youre doing your very best by your son. thats all you can do.

MySillyKids

You'd be surprised how many kids on here have Sensory issues. My 15 month old included.

Take every day as it comes! He'll get used to the eye patch, and it wont be an issue! :)

((((HUGS)))))

We know how hard it can be with these types of kids. My 15 month old has a LONG list of issues, and we deal with them on a daily basis. :)

Good luck!

kelly

My sister went through the same thing as a toddler. She wore the patch. She had window glass for one lens and pop-bottle-thick for the other.

Eventually, her doc just gave up and told her to quit wearing the glasses. He said even with the glasses she just plain wasn't using that eye and that the brain compensates for use of just one. If *I* close one eye, I have no depth perception, but SHE does. She sees just fine, her brain works differently in a good way.

Obviously, its best to do what your doctor is saying and to faithfully try the patch, etc. But, worst case, if it doesn't work out - he'll be fine. He really will.

My sister FREAKS out the people at the DMV when they ask her to read the little letters with her bad eye, but other than that, you'd never ever know she sees very little out of one eye.

Obviously, its kind of scary to think of something bad happening to her "good" eye, but she'll just cross that bridge if it ever happens.

Leila

My four year is farsighted as well (he also's also sensory defensive to noise and light and has Asperger's Syndrome). His eye doctor said that most kids are farsighted until they hit around 7 or 8, then they'll either normalize or need glasses for nearsightedness.

Debug's been wearing glasses for almost a year and a half now, no patch for him since his sight is equally off in both eyes. What worked for us to get D to keep his glasses on is to tell him that they're "medicine for his eyes." We still have to remind him to put his "pectipulls" (he read a book about glasses and decided that the word spectacles was cooler than glasses) on, but that's rare. He's going in for his next check up next week. Doc wants to check out his photosensitivity to see if it's worsened (it has). :(

Connor's Mom

Would it help to make a game out of wearing the eye patch like playing like he is a pirate? Or how about letting him decorate it to make it fun?
Also they are making the flexible frames and shatter proof scratch resistant lenses as well. They are a little more money but might be worth it for a 5 year old.
Keep your chin up and know that you are doing the best for your son. ((HUGS))

ajweeks

Thanks for everyone's support. To my surprise, my son woke up this morning talking about how he needs to wear his eye patch everyday. I told him more about it, saying it was like doing exercises for his eye to strengthen his muscles. Hopefully he will be better about wearing the patch again later this afternoon.

I'm taking him to pick out some glasses later on today after school. I hope he likes them!

Leila, that is interesting what your son's eye doctor said about how kids eyes will either normalize or be nearsighted at 7 or 8. DH is nearsighted and I'm farsighted so we'll see what happens. What book does you son like about wearing glasses?

I hope the patch works some to help his left eye! Strange how your brain will just decided not to use one eye. Even stranger is that he passed two separate vision tests at 4 years--maybe the tech's at the doctor's office weren't paying attention or maybe they didn't make him just look out of his left eye.

Morganthe

Awwww ((HUGS))

But take it from me, Lazy Eye aka Amblyopeia (sp?) can be solved. Reading how your son managed his eye tests is exactly what my mom told me I did when I was about 3-4 years old taking a test at the State Fair. I was alert, interested, & helpful for my right eye. Bored, distracted, & trying to cheat with my Left eye.

She took me to the dr -- same thing. Only he said that if we didn't get my left eye working, I'd have absolutely no sight in it at all. I received UGLY glasses with black electrical tape over my right eye lens so I'd work that left eye on its own.
At the same time, my orthodontist was trying out theories about putting braces on baby teeth. So at that age, I had hideous glasses, braces, & headgear for the braces to contend with. No wonder I was a quiet shy child. I looked like a freak! Oh, let's not forget the specially made clomper style shoes to supposedly correct something going on in my feet & legs. Never figured out what exactly what that was about. I have a sneaking suspicion I was a guinea pig for the medical establishment. :whistle:

It worked. But it took at least 2 years because I was a terrible glasses wearer. I'd hide them because I was so embarrased and felt hideous. My mom said I was a cute kid, but I don't see it in old photos. Is it evil to be relieved that my daughter looks nothing like I did as a child?? :rolleyes: ;)

It's important that his eye doesn't lose sight, you can't count on body imbalance correction ... no disrespect to Kelly's sister meant. As I've grown older, my left eye has had its share of problems, namely severe Astigmatism. But it still balances out my vision that my right eye is 30% more near sighted and I've occasionally had problems with the right like scratching & occasional spasms from allergies & tiredness.

Make his patch wearing as fun as possible. It will help that Pirates of the Carribean will make Pirating popular in the next few weeks. Just emphasize that the more he wears his patch, the quicker he'll be able to leave it behind.
good luck :)

ajweeks

I hope we aren't catching this too late. I wish the doctor's had noticed something at 4 years. Oh well, the doctor did say that patching works well up to age 8.

I just found this website with very cute eye patches for kids. Once my son gets his glasses, I'll have him pick out one that he likes. This will be much easier and cheaper than buying stick on patches.

http://www.patchpals.com/patches.htm

babychild taxi

Hi,

Thanks for sharing about your son. I'm sure he will get get used to everything over time, especially with your support.

If you want to read a good parent friendly book on Sensory Integration with activities for children, you may want to borrow or purchase "Building Bridges Through Sensory Integration" by Ellen Yack and all. It's primarily written for children on the autism spectrum, but will apply to all children with sensory issues. I worked with Ellen before moving to BC in 2001. She's quite an expert!

In terms of other issues, glasses, etc, you may want to give him a sense of control by allowing him some choice when appropriate (picking out two pairs of glasses with him and having him choose one, etc).

Please let us know how your son is doing.

All the Best,

K.
"adopted Auntie to many"
Godmother to a 14 yr old
Child Development Consultant
3 across in a Toyota Echo-tight fit!

Leila

Leila, that is interesting what your son's eye doctor said about how kids eyes will either normalize or be nearsighted at 7 or 8. DH is nearsighted and I'm farsighted so we'll see what happens. What book does you son like about wearing glasses?

I hope the patch works some to help his left eye! Strange how your brain will just decided not to use one eye. Even stranger is that he passed two separate vision tests at 4 years--maybe the tech's at the doctor's office weren't paying attention or maybe they didn't make him just look out of his left eye.

I'd never heard that information about eyes normalizing/becoming nearsighted before that appointment. I've always been nearsighted, as has DH, so we were quite surprised that D is farsighted.

D likes the book Arthur's Glasses by Marc Brown. It's the PBS Kids' Arthur, so it's a character he recognized and loved. He also loves to read The Good Luck Glasses by Sara London, and Agapanthus Hum and the Eyeglasses by Joy Cowley. The latter two books are geared towards first to third grade age children, but they're a lot of fun!

This book though, might be PERFECT for your son...The Patch by Justina Chen Headley The main character is a girl, but she has the same issue your son has...even with the same weak eye! :D

Good luck, and I hope that the patch helps your son!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC