At what age did you need

love-pink

to add the headrest on your true fit? I know you have to add it when your child reaches the red line or is 22lbs, just wondering what age your child was. :) Pictures would be great also. Im helping a friend narrow down seats and this is one of the questions she had for me. :thumbsup:

ADS

smackeen

Sorry no pics, but DS#3 was 22lbs about 8 months old. But have DS#2 (3yr) in it right now and height wise he is just above the redline (but 28lbs).

So if you have a lightweight child, it could be quite a while before you would need to put it on.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It was right at the new year. So she was 15.5 months.

December 29th:
5309948407_d642d01e83.jpg

5307395181_464f0a1f10.jpg

January 4th:
164510_1686646560580_1070139791_1903663_3047176_n.jpg

Wendy

canadiangie

As soon as I could install the seat more upright the upper portion went on. Having lots of shell above a child's head isn't a bad thing, at all. So I guess my answer would be around age 6mos? The truefit tends to fit just about everywhere, even with the top portion on, providing it's installed more upright. The top portion is designed to curve up. It's a glorious design really. :)

Kyras_Mama

16 months for older dd and that was for weight. :) Younger daughter I think it would have been right around 12 months but we just left it on there since she rarely rode in that seat anyway.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We put it on for DS around 11 months, when he was getting close to the red line. He probably could have gotten by without it for a couple of months but it was in DH's car and he had the room, so I put it on in case he had a growth spurt and was suddenly over the line. He's 20m now and still under 20 lbs.

momtotwogirls

We probably could have made it to about 15 or 17 months without the headrest. We sold it at 15 months though because I didnt like how the harness fit her

Right before she turned 1
Happyaddy-1.jpg

15 months but you can see she had some room above her head til the red line wich is basically the line for were the top headrest goes
inthecar-1.jpg

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
DS is 10 months and still doesn't need the headrest attached.

Not installed but you can see the room he still has.

He still needs the insert as it is required if at the bottom slot. With the insert he is on the second slot, without it, he is on the bottom. He is 18#6oz 29.75" with a 10.5" torso.

Spam

these pics make me miss my tfs.... A needed the headrest at 5 months when i bought it, he weighed 22lbs. He would have needed the headrest by nine months by height. he's nine months in this pic
carseat2009-04-21_11.jpg

christineka

I have short kiddos. Dd is now about 20 pounds, but she still has inches above her head without the headrest. She's 20 inches. She may make it to 22 pounds at 24 months.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Ok maybe this is just a question to the choir but I have never owned this seat but I am really confused as to why its to 22lbs without the headrest and up to 35 with the head rest...What does the headrest do to make it safer for 13 more lbs?

christineka

Ok maybe this is just a question to the choir but I have never owned this seat but I am really confused as to why its to 22lbs without the headrest and up to 35 with the head rest...What does the headrest do to make it safer for 13 more lbs?

My guess is that the heavier baby might right up more than a lighter baby. Probably most at 22 are also tall enough to need the headrest anyway.

Kaede's_Mom

jourdysmom said:
He still needs the insert as it is required if at the bottom slot. With the insert he is on the second slot, without it, he is on the bottom. He is 18#6oz 29.75" with a 10.5" torso.

I don't remember reading this. Crap now I need to go look. If so I need to sell my TFP. The leg straps ride way, way to high on him with the insert, but with out it he is still on the bottom slot.

christineka

Gosh, if that's right, I used the seat wrong until recently. Dd only just moved to the second position a couple weeks ago.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You need the insert until the child is at the bottom slot on their own. After that you can use it or not. Not sure if there's a 22 pound limit on it, or just rear facing. They've gone back and forth on that.

Wendy

Kaede's_Mom

wendytthomas said:
You need the insert until the child is at the bottom slot on their own. After that you can use it or not. Not sure if there's a 22 pound limit on it, or just rear facing. They've gone back and forth on that.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy! We are good then since DS is between the first and second w/o the insert.

As for the head rest I will be adding ours soon. We still have a couple pounds to go and quite a few inches at 13 months, but he just looks close to it, even though he isn't

armywife12

Caleb needed it as soon as we got the seat, around 7 months old, because he was 22 lbs. I don't have the pic on my phone though

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
DS is still below the bottom slot with it installed in the car (haven't tried the van yet), that is what I meant.. sorry :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC