Over Step Boundries - WWYD

Mom2nj

Tuesday while walking out to the van after picking up DD from preschool, I saw the Grandma using a Senera as a BPB for a very petite 3 1/2 yr old. I couldn't just walk by and say nothing so I said, you know you are not supposed to use that seat that way, you are putting her in great danger and it would be devistating if you were to get in an accident. She said I know, she doesn't fit in the seat very well and they are getting her a new seat. Well it has been this way at least a month. I said something to the wrong mother, the grandma picks up 2 girls, one is in a cargo. I gave up and just walked a way, that night I felt just horrible about it. Would it be better if she was too tall for the harness, I figure it would be than if she was in the seat acting like a booster that is not one. I figure she would be ejected if they were to get in an accident. So tomorrow... Do I say something to the Mom in the morning, then if the seat is still that way, should I install it and say, it's better to use it this way than the other... I could be really over stepping my bounds, but I can't let something happen to this sweet little girl. I now she is in a triumph in the Mom's car, so she believes in keeping her harness still she is big enough...

ADS

mominabigtruck

There is no way a scenera would work well as a bpb. The way the seat curvers the seatbelt wouldn't even come close to being snug on the child. She would be better off using the seat harnessed because as least her and the seat would be restrained by something.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
either way, the most you shoudl really do is offer your advice and leave it at that. we cant control other parents (im slowly learning to cope with this) and it is ultimately her decision.

mominabigtruck

How are you learning? Cause, frankly, I'm giving myself an ulcer :(

I only talk to people who's usage is absolutely horrible or I know them really well. Example: I won't just walk up to someone and talk about rfing unless is a really young baby unless it's someone I know or its brought up in the conversation. Like when I'm in the bru carseat aisle helping people on saturdays when I go to look at seats and piss off the employees. That's an example of when its appropriate to talk to people more broadly and indepth.

lynsgirl

How are you learning? Cause, frankly, I'm giving myself an ulcer :(

I must admit a certain passion for helping people at BRU. It makes the employees' eyes get all buggy

I go through stages like that - the ulcer stage, that is. I still look. I can't help myself. I think it's a sickness no one tells you about when you get sucked into CPS addiction :eek:. I look at stoplights, I look in parking lots, etc. I will tell you this, though. One thing that helped me, at least a little, was to understand something about myself :D - it is NOT good for my mental health (or that ulcer we're talking about :p ) to go into BRU very often. After about 5 minutes in the car seat section, I feel *this close* to going nuts on someone and I feel like I just do. not. have. the patience or tolerance to even bring myself to speak up to all of those shopping or baby-registry people, be they parents or not. I have occasionally and all it gets me about 90% of the time is a brush-off of some kind. Sigh. The last 2 times I've been in there, I've been w/dh and the kids and I've forced myself to avoid the car seat section completely. It helps if I tell dh to keep me from going that direction :rolleyes: :D , and since at this point, he understands me (maybe he doesn't understand WHY I have this problem, but at least he understands that I have it :whistle: ), he's been "helpful" in that regard hehehehe. ((Hugs)) and as you can see, I've got no real words of wisdom to help you get over this problem. Words, yes. Lots of those tonight, obviously :p , but none of wisdom!

mommy2jana

I think I would maybe say something one more time....maybe offer to install the seat properly, but you can't make them if they don't want to. Maybe a call into the non-emergent police # would work. That is definite improper use of the seat and would maybe get a ticket for it.

I've got to figure out something to do for my dd's daycare. I think I need to first and foremost work on a RF'ing pamphlet. As I was getting out of my car yesterday, I saw a mom set the infant carrier in the seat FF'ing, not even strap it in, only his chest clip was fastened and it was down around his belly, harness not on his shoulders and had her 2-3 yr old sitting on the seat next to him, no carseat, no booster, no seatbelt and drive away. I wanted to say something, but the parents at her daycare are so rude....so I went in and told the director. She agree to distribute some information if I brought some in. As I was talking to the director's kids - I found out that she has the same parenting views as me...her kids were BF for 2.5 yrs and used carseats until they outgrew them, not just "was old enough, weighed enough to move to the 'next stage'".

I have to try to force myself not to look in other cars....but I always do. And I always offer advice at Walmart, Target, or BRU in the carseat section! lol

amy919

I must admit a certain passion for helping people at BRU. It makes the employees' eyes get all buggy ;)

I'm guilty of this myself. My husband has practically dragged me out of the store on more than one occassion. I will say, though - I have had great success! At least these are people who are looking at the options available and I have yet to come across anyone who wasn't glad I offered advice. Of course, having my 4 year old raving about her MA helps!

I told BRU they should start paying me commission. They see me walking in and going to the car seat section and they're nie to me. I think they know they're likely to get a sale:)

Amy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC