Question Rfing Scenera, or something else?wwyd?

brelza

Just curious those of you who use/used a scenera rear facing for your little ones. What age/approx height did they outgrow it? My 5.5 mo old is 27"/12.5lb and I'm contemplating this as a transition seat(and then spare seat for daddy's car which will rarely be used) as we need something that sits UP like the britax seats. Right now a new britax seat probably isn't in the finances for at least 6+ months and he'll have outgrown his bucket(evenflo discovery 29") probably within the next 2 months.

I have the following children
k-11yrs 57.25" 71lb 4' 9.25" 3rd row FPSV NBB
b-9.75yr 55.25" 65.4lb 4' 7.25" 3rd row graco NBB
r-8yrs 54" 51.6lb 4' 6" 2nd row britax monarch
e-6yrs 45.5" 44lb 3' 9.5" 3rd row britax boulevard(lap only seat belt)
s-5.5mo 27" 12lb 7oz 2' 3" 2nd row evenflo discovery
Vehicle is 2001 Nissan Quest.

Currently E sits in the boulevard and it has just enough "lift" due to the base to allow the other 3rd row seaters access to buckle their seat belts. Her seat will expire in about a year. She is also approaching the max on this seat in regard to torso height(maybe 1" to go?)

Originally, I thought of getting a britax frontier85 for her and passing down her seat to S until it expires and then getting him a touriva until she outgrew the frontier OR he outgrew the touriva. The base on the frontier 85 appears flat on the seat so I'm not sure if it will fit in the middle 3rd row allowing the other 2 access to the seat belts by doing that.

So I'm contemplating putting K in the 2nd row driver side, R and B in the 3rd w/a rear facing touriva/boulevard for S, and E in the 2nd row passenger side in her britax regent. I will be killing my back doing this, but it would allow me to put his NBB on the floor and flip the seat front to get S into the van.

Now the kids have grown pretty much since I last did a seat rearrangement about 8 months ago so I am going to try to 5point test the older 2 to see if they can sit w/out their boosters. They were close to it last check,but they felt more comfortable with the boosters and the shoulder belt fit better too.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Just wanted to point out that the Discovery handle must be down, with 1 1/2" between the handle and the seat in front of it.

About E. Where are her shoulders, compared to the tallest postion for the harness?

Pixels

I think DD still fits, though is close to outgrowing. She is 2y10mo, 29 lbs, 35ish inches. The height is very approximate, as it varies significantly every time I try to measure.

Keeanh

I think DD still fits, though is close to outgrowing. She is 2y10mo, 29 lbs, 35ish inches. The height is very approximate, as it varies significantly every time I try to measure.

My daughter is 2y9m and exactly the same stats. She still fits RF with maybe an inch to go before it's outgrown, probably a bit less (it's a spare seat, haven't had her in it in a few weeks).

brelza

Just wanted to point out that the Discovery handle must be down, with 1 1/2" between the handle and the seat in front of it.

About E. Where are her shoulders, compared to the tallest postion for the harness?

I just checked her when we went to go pick up R at school and EEK! This summer she had a good 2-2.5" before her shoulders were even w/the slot. Now she's about 1/2" from the top slot. :(

R has the monarch HBB and he has about 1.5" until he can no longer use it in HBB mode.

Also, I didn't realize how tall my other 2 had gotten too especially with the boosters under them. Their ears were above the headrest. :eek: So now they are boosterless. So I guess I now have K&B w/out boosters, R in a HBB, and E almost out of hers and S in the bucket....I'm thinking E and S might outgrow their seats in the next 2-3 months :thumbsdown:.

Looking at this I'm thinking I should probably just use E's seat for S until it expires and play musical seats since we no longer have the 2 older children in boosters. Possibly pull out E's regent or even R's regent and get some more use out of one of them for her and sell the other to help w/a replacement for S's seat when it expires.:whistle:

I do know about the 1.5" and we end up with about an inch. I know an inch isn't an inch and a half but it really depends on if I'm driving or not.

brelza

Do K and B pass the 5 step test?

Yep...the only thing I can't test is the LONG trip. We normally do short rides anyhow. Now I drive to school and back (30 min round trip) but I did check the seatbelts when they went into the van, checked when we arrived at school and then when we got home and the seat belt was fitting them just fine.

DaniChildcare

Does the seat where S is have a lap shoulder belt? If it does, you could pass down the BLVD to the S, and move E to a booster.

As for putting S in the van in the back, you could put him in through the Cargo area, and not kill your back as much,

brelza

Does the seat where S is have a lap shoulder belt? If it does, you could pass down the BLVD to the S, and move E to a booster.

As for putting S in the van in the back, you could put him in through the Cargo area, and not kill your back as much,

No. The middle back seat does not have a shoulder belt. That is what is such a problem with this. I did try an 86Y harness w/the monarch back there about 8 months ago For R, but it kept tipping when I turned. I hadn't thought of putting E in a booster with that--it might be a possibility w/the FPSVB. Maybe that wouldn't tip like the monarch. I'll have to try combinations this weekend.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC