Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town & Country

2nd

I really wanted the best, Toyota or Honda but money isn't there right now. If you had to choose between the Dodge or the Chrysler for safety and best bet for the 2006-2008 models which would you choose and why?

I need to use 3 seats for car seats and 1 for a booster.
Right now its 2 ff Radians, 1 Turbo booster or Britax Parkway, and in the fall Snugride 30.

Just curious.....

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
they are exactly the same. they were redesigned for the 2008-current years though. 2007 and older are rounder looking, 2008-current are more square.

Have to take DD to school but can be more car seat specific after I get home :)

luckyclov

I just posted in your other Mazda5 thread, but...

Chrysler (including Dodge) redesigned their minivans in 2008. Since then, crash safety ratings have been identical to the Sienna and Ody.
The GC and T&C are cousins and are typically the same, they just wear a different nametag.

ETA: This is my response from your other thread:
I have an '09 Dodge Grand Caravan (it's my 2nd, actually...I also had an '05. My Mazda5 was in the middle). While I don't LOOOOOOVE it, it's not unsafe. I would never put my family in an unsafe vehicle. Since Chrysler redesigned their minivans in 2008, they have had identical crash safety ratings as the Siennas and Odys. You still get 3 rows of side curtain airbags in a Chrysler/Dodge. They also have large floor compartments (where seats go in stow n go mode) to store projectiles. There are removeable/adjustable headrests in all seating positions. There's lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions. Installing SOME carseats can be hard work in some of the seating positions, but it's not impossible...and I have yet to meet a convertible carseat that's flat-out incompatibe. I've only had issues with (some) boosters and only in the 3rd row. Radians install like a dream RF in the captain's chairs. That said, 4 kids is probably the max due to the seating in the 3rd row. There's only one set of off-center LATCH in the 3rd row, so if you use it, there's only room for 2. The center seatbelt is kinda funky - but the ParkwaySG fits great there...and that's where my 8-year DS1 rides. I have my RF 1-year old in a Marathon 70 and my FF 6-year old in a Frontier 85 in the captain's chairs. Great installs with both. With my DS1 in the center of the 3rd row, there's room for 1 more carseat/booster on the passenger side. Due to the layout and 60/40 split, when a booster or carseat is in the center, it compromises the outboard spot on the driver's side. A seatbelt-ready child could fit there, though, I think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC