I have a ? the seat belts in a 1995 GMC Rally 15 pass van with car seats.. Pic

Littlestinkers

Ok we are looking at buying an older van a 1995 GMC Rally 15 passenger van we have 4 radian car seats and then plan to use a keyfit 22 with our next. Here are a pics of 2 different vans but I had to try and find good pics of the seat belts. on this pic you can see the driver side really well and from what I have seen in the other pic is this can be a should belt or a lap belt you just unbuckle at the shoulder and then bucket in the female end in the seat. if you look on the passenger side at the top you see what looks like belts just hanging in the top. look at the next pic but keep this in mind.
3125034_1c8071e7-0393-47fe-8b9f-2ac66521e7aa.jpg

ok the piece laying on the seat can connect as a lap belt only or can connect to the piece in the roof to be a shoulder belt.
van.jpg

in this pic is the driver side you can see the buckle that goes into the seat buckle to have it as a shoulder belt or unbuckle it there and have as a lap only belt.
van.jpg

Are these belts safe with my car seats? Are they safe period for me to ride back there. where and how would you install the car seats? I thinknwe were thinking to have the kids in their own bench seats and my 19 month old in the first seat then my be our 3 year old twins then our 6 year old. the twins can share the same row and then when we have another baby if i ever get pregnant again the new baby sit in the front row with our 19 month old... Please share all anyn thoughts I dont want to buy something that will not work out...

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You'd have to check how those seatbelts work. It's possible they're just three point belts once you attach the shoulder belts and that's it. It's possible they have emergency retracting lap belts only, in which case you need a VERY experienced tech and several belt shortening clips (I've done over 500 seats, I've been doing this for 4.5 years, and I would never use a BSC without supervision). If they're automatic locking lap belts, no problem to install carseats.

However, without headrests it's not at all safe for you to sit back there ever. Your kids are fine as long as they're in high back boosters, but if you're planning on keeping this car for 10 years or so you'll run into the case soon enough of having kids too big for boosters and having no head support at all, which puts them at severe risk for whiplash.

My daughter got into a newer version of this van today. It has regular seatbelts, so that's not a problem. The kids with her were all saying, "I'm over eight, I don't need a booster." I finally said, "None of you have head support, you ALL need boosters." That quieted them. My daughter is riding in a high back booster, and other than the adults in the front, she's the ONLY safe child. The other kids either have the lap belt too high, or their heads are too high. :(

I'd find something with headrests for everyone, especially if you plan on having the car more than four years, and I'd check to see what kind of seatbelts are there.

To check, pull the lap belts out. Do they lock as they retract? Do they lock if you pull hard like in a collision? Do they not lock and just act like a normal front seat seatbelt? Does the shoulder belt lock (pull it all the way out and let it back in, listening for a clickclickclick).

Wendy

Littlestinkers

Wendy thanks for your help. So since there are no head rest it is not safe for any one out of a car seat? So this newer van too is not safe? http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/2219911434.html sorry I had to post an ad on craigslist but this is how I am shopping for a van. I cant afford this one right now but if this one is not safe then I don't know what to do to transport my family... I need a van that is at least a 12 passenger that is sa for when my son out grows his radian car seat. I am guessing when he gets to 80 lbs at the age of 9 years old or so and I don't want to have to worry about replacing a van then right now. We have a mini van that seats 7 but we need bigger and still are paying on it for 4 more years and we owe way more then it is worth so no trading it in...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, other than the two spots in the back that have headrests.

But don't worry, there are seats that are much taller than the Radian. Most kids won't make it to 80 pounds in the Radian. But then he can use a booster. The Frontier goes to a 23" top belt guide height. That would accommodate my torso, but it doesn't fit my hips (and I'm above the weight limit). So after the Radian you get him a high back booster. But when he's 13 and 6' and 150 pounds, you're out of luck. Then the same when your younger kids come up in age and size too.

Wendy

Littlestinkers

So then the only seats that are safe for me are the ones with the head rest? So how are large families able to go places? Is there a safe 12 passenger were all seats are useable for older kids? Our hopes are to add to our family and be able to transport some extended family too. Do all large family ride unsafe?

Littlestinkers

The van I posted from craigslist was a 2010 I am getting to be really stressed out that there is no way we well ever afford a larger van quick means we cant have anymore kids... As of now we have one extra seat and are trying to get pg and I watch 2-3 kids Monday - friday. I need to be able to pick up my kids from school if something happens or if I need to take one of mine to the doctor. My would not fit into a car at lol and my mom is almost 300lbs and we transport her to the doc some times and need the bigger room and buying something thinking I'll just spend more money to buy high back boosters to seat them all. I can buy them for adults and once they out grow that seat then what? Looks like we better stop trying for # 5. :( I could just cry this is so stressful.

Littlestinkers

I just looked again that is not head rests it is the part for the shoulder belt... So no seats are safe unless they are kids in car seats but the driver and passenger front seat....

Littlestinkers

The van posted if you count the seats is only a 7 passenger van and one of those has no head rest. So I am right now better in my current van. We are looking at getting an older one so we can have a back up cause we well keep our current van we can't afford to get rid of it we are very upside down on it now. We are only planing on spending $3000.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The van posted if you count the seats is only a 7 passenger van and one of those has no head rest. So I am right now better in my current van. We are looking at getting an older one so we can have a back up cause we well keep our current van we can't afford to get rid of it we are very upside down on it now. We are only planing on spending $3000.

I'm sorry, and I know this isn't what you asked, but I don't think you can get safe transportation for 8+ passengers for $3000 (and if you have to buy Frontiers for all positions, you're looking at another $1000+). Perhaps you could put that $3000 towards paying off your current vehicle so you can trade it in on something safe for everyone? Or if you need two vehicles now, buy a $3K sedan and take both the sedan and the minivan when you travel as a family.

Last edited:

Littlestinkers

I can't u to cars to take my mom to the doctor my mom is very sick and can't drive. Right now when I have all the kids including the 2 I watch I have to have my oldest in the front seat and even if I did buy those seats I can't sit in one nor can my mom or hubby. What I have found is the newer vans seat backs are higher up then the older ones. So what about the smaller cars that don't have head rests are you saying those are not safe?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right. Any seating position in any car without a headrest or support to the level of a person's ears means they are at a huge risk for whiplash.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Let's start from the beginning. What vehicle do you currently own, how many people do you need to transport, what are the kids' ages/sizes, and what seats do you own?

You mentioned that you have $3000 to spend and you were willing to buy high-backed boosters for everyone, so at least another $600?

Kat_Momof3

I swear I'd posted on this thread... I don't see it, though... anyway... those seatbelts have traditional locking latchplates (not lightweight ones like in newer cars)

I would look at dodge/chrysler conversion vans... they come in various passenger numbers... because those have headrests

daycaremom2002

The main concern at this point is making sure that the belts lock and are not emergency locking retractors. If you sit in the seat and buckle the belt, try pulling up in the middle(by your belly) If the belt stays tight, then it locks at the buckle. These types of belts work well for carseats. The shoulder belts that are one piece should lock in a similar fashion.

If you have kids that are still harnessed or boostered, then I would have no problem putting them in this van if the seatbelts lock. You can easily get 3 radians in a row, and the 6yo can use a booster in the inside(by the window) with one of the shoulder belts. You would want all adults in one of the front 2 seats with the high backs and shoulder belts. Most 15 passenger vans do not have headrests. Some have tall backs, but I think there are very few, especially with a low cost, that have headrests.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We just bought an 8-passenger suburban. E can use all the spots. It has 6 lap/shoulder belts all with head support. The 2 lap belt only spots have no head support but we have 5-points for there.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
By the way, the suburban was only $3600.

How many kids do you currently have? 4? Trying for #5 and needing 3 adults, right?

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC