Does hip room in car specs = carseat room?

cookie123

I want to try to fit 3 seats - 2 FF and 1 RF infant in my Tribute. They say it's 53.08 inches.

So, does anyone know. Would hip room = carseat space?

ADS

ThreeBeans

It definitely doesn't, unfortunately.

According to hip room, I should be able to fit 3 accross in my Santa Fe. I can't.

There are a lot of variables...whether the seats have huge divets in them, how wide the flare on the carseat hip area is, and WHERE it is in relationship to the flare on the other seats, etc.

cookie123

I saw that the Santa Fe had the same hip room as my Tribute. I'm wondering if you've tried 3 across? I was thinking maybe 2 radians and a smaller infant seat might work.

ThreeBeans

I tried a Radian center, Scenera driver's side and Snugride passenger side. They appeared to be installed but when I removed the Radian found that both the Scenera and the infant carrier were dependent on the Radian....they weren't properly secured.

lynsgirl

I want to try to fit 3 seats - 2 FF and 1 RF infant in my Tribute. They say it's 53.08 inches.

So, does anyone know. Would hip room = carseat space?

ThreeBeans is right. Hip room doesn't really equal carseat space. Some vehicles that have more hip room would seem to accomodate seats better than a vehicle with less, but it really depends on the seats you're trying to install, how well *any* seat installs in that particular vehicle and how those said seats all fit together. And sometimes, 3 seats that don't seem like they're fitting well together will work out arranged in different order. It's definitely a trial and error process that requires a lot of patience and effort :p . What seats are you trying to work with?

cookie123

I have 2 Boleros, and there would be a snugride. I already tried to put the boleros together, and then I tried to rearface a Ra next to it (I have an RA, the snugride isn't available right now) Anyway, I thought I had them in there but then, when I was done and checking things, the middle bolero was partially up on the side!

What do you think of 2 radians/1 snugride. Or maybe the GO?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't have specific seat suggestions for 3 across in the Tribute, but wanted to share a couple of general tips for "puzzling" carseats side by side. RF seats often will puzzle better next to FF seats, and a carseat that's elevated on a base might puzzle better next to a seat that has a lower profile (like a Radian or some combination seats) relative to the vehicle seating area. It's also sometimes possible to install multiple seats side by side using seatbelt installations that wouldn't otherwise fit side by side if they were installed with the lower LATCH anchors. The lower LATCH anchors tend to be positioned more toward the center of the back seat in many cars, while seatbelt anchors are often spaced closer to the doors, buying you extra room for fitting carseats side by side using the seatbelts.

The Radian might be a better fit than the Go since it's narrower if it's compatible with the Tribute. The Go can also be installed with the seatbelt but it's much easier to install using the lower LATCH anchors.:twocents:

teekadog

I can more successfully fit 3 across in my Toyota Echo rather than my Camry. The Echo has a plan ol' bench, while the Camry has "extra" padding in areas that prevent a good simple car seat install. But when I have 3 across in my Echo, the outboard seats are almost touching the door... meaning any impact to the doors would translate to an almost immediate impact to the car seat and child within.

cookie123

Hmmm. I emailed SKJP and Skip said I would need 51 inches of interior room to fit 3 Radians across. I think he said door to door. Wonder where I could try that!

lynsgirl

Do you already have a SR that you'll be using? A narrower infant seat and base might help (or not, it depends). The Baby Trend Flex Loc, or Latch-Loc, if you could find that (it keeps popping up online at various retailers, but it's a mystery if it really is available or not :p ) is narrow. I'd try a low-profile seat with a higher-profile seat for puzzling purposes. Something like a Radian or even an Uptown FF next to maybe a MA next to the infant seat or another lower-profile RF convertible (Radian, Uptown or possibly even Scenera. I got a RF Touriva to puzzle with a FF MA in a 3-across in a Subaru Legacy). Or if it's possible, just keep one of the Boleros and try a MA (or DC/BV, just saying MA here) FF in the center with the infant seat OB next to that. If that doesn't work, try the Bolero in the center and the MA OB. Do you have a Babies R Us near you? If so, you could try various combinations in your car there. Hopefully, a solution to your puzzle will shout out at you while doing that!

cookie123

Yes, we have a sungride already, but aren't opposed to getting something smaller. I wish BRU had a radian. I've already tried the 2 boleros with the RF RA which we also have. The snugride is being used by a friend right now.

Will BRU really let you try out all those seats in your car? Do you use the ones on the shelf or what? Hopefully not ones people can buy!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I should try the RA in the middle.
Later - I have to get to work!!

lynsgirl

Yes, we have a sungride already, but aren't opposed to getting something smaller. I wish BRU had a radian. I've already tried the 2 boleros with the RF RA which we also have. The snugride is being used by a friend right now.

Will BRU really let you try out all those seats in your car? Do you use the ones on the shelf or what? Hopefully not ones people can buy!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I should try the RA in the middle.
Later - I have to get to work!!

Yes, BRU will let you try seats in your car from the shelf. I believe you leave your driver's license at the customer service desk and an associate accompanies you to your car (if they start installing or offer to, just say no :D. They are NOT supposed to be doing that and believe me, it gets old having parents come to SafeKids checks in the BRU parking lot saying "The guy right here at the store put in like this for me!" :eek: lol). They are supposed to be out there just observing, monitoring, whatever you want to call it (making sure you don't shlep any of their display seats :p hehehe)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC