I've never installed...

christineka

a britax convertible. I know they are popular seats. They might come to the seat check on friday. I've never installed one! Ack!!! (I know that's what cpst class is for. They have a bunch of car seats. I've installed at least half of those models.) I'ven't installed plenty of other seats too, but I think it's more likely to have a britax come to a check than a safeguard. Oh, I've never installed a dorel 3 in 1. I'm worried.

Okay, anyone else not installed a popular car seat? How about you seasoned professionals, is there one you haven't installed?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Aren't there some at the class? Install on there. You can do this.

Oh, and if not. Just read the manual.

autumnlily

If you can handle a TFP and Radian you can handle the others that come your way. The rules are so specific on those two seats and just kind of awkward compared to other belt paths that are more common. :twocents:

You're going to do great!

ConnorsMommy

Britax seats (at least the convertibles) are very easy to install. I can have my son's Marathon installed in about 2 minutes in most vehicles. I'm sure that you will have no problem figuring it out since you have so much experience installing other seats. The built in lock-offs are great for vehicles that don't have locking belts or that you can't get tight enough.
The Frontier is kind of a pain to install with the seat belt in some vehicles (like my 02 Odyssey!) so it may take more time to figure out.
I'm not a tech (although I am hoping to take a class this summer!) so I can't comment on the professional part. Oh....I did help a friend install a Safety First 3-in-1 seat in her vehicle and mine with LATCH and it was a pain in the neck! Add that to the list of reasons why I don't like those seats. I also played with an AOE once and it was a pain to install too.
Have fun!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Seriously, if I found a seat that I didn't play with before, I would probably squeeeee!

autumnlily

I haven't installed a Recaro seat (other than booster), Combi Shuttle or Orbit.

I find moving the cover helps with nearly every seat I help install... and pulling the seat belt or latch belt through the path.

I usually work in the distribution line at our seat clinics and have seen enough scenera's to stock an entire Walmart two times over!

If you have done a Complete Air or Complete Air LX... they are pretty similar to the Cosco 3 in 1 seats.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Relax!

Of course there are seats I haven't installed and I'm not likely to see them at checkup events either.

msg221

There was a classic Britax MA for my CPST class along with a slew of Evenflo seats like the Titan and a combination seat and Evenflo infant seats. We also had a Graco SS and a Chicco Key Fit 20 for the infant seats and there was a Graco Nauti as well.

The instructors for my class had never seen my TFP's and told me they never come across Britax seats for the seat check events they host.

Anyway, I don't think you will have any problem installing the Britax seats. They are the easiest seats I've ever installed in all of the vehicles I've installed them in.

mykidsmylife

no orbits, smart seats, safety first infant seats, or vest or special needs seats. I have installed pretty much ever other current seat.
It is pretty cut and dry, read manual and have pool noodles and locking clips on hand!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've never installed a TF. I've had Britaxes, Radians, Recaros and even a Coccoro show up at seat checks, but the only TF I've seen IRL was a friend's, and it was already installed and we didn't have time for me to play with it.

Don't sweat it. I had a check yesterday with a RA55, and the first thing I did was open up the manual to see what had changed. I owned one of the first RAs, but just because it looked familiar doesn't mean much. They're making changes to seats so fast now, all techs should be checking manuals frequently.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I did my first Chicco during my class...and promptly fell in love! :love:

I think you'll do fine, no matter what seat is offered to you! :thumbsup:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have absolutely NOT installed every seat out there. I have seen many at checks for the first time. The basics are still the same. Read the manual for the seat, read the manual for the car.

tarabelle

There's a ton of seats I've never installed, but even on the seats I have installed I haven't installed on every vehicle, KWIM? For example, in class we had a Caddy with a locking latchplate and a snugride base. I've installed a snugride, seat belt and LATCH, before but this time I struggled with it because the latchplate kept locking up on me. Biggest thing I learned that day?

Don't get flustered. Figure it out and it will click. In my case? Had to twist the stalk because the latchplate was sliding back into the base a bit which was making it lock on me. You're gonna rock, no worries :thumbsup:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've only ever installed the MA once, and that was in class. Plopped it on the seat, ran belt through, knee in, lock lock-off... firm handshake at the belt path and good. No tether in the car (which had slippery, squishy leather seats.) My instructor seemed impressed with the install, all I said was "thanks," while thinking, "Um, that was cake?" The gal working on the other side of the car had been working on the same seat FOREVER, maybe that's why she was impressed lol.

Anyways, point being, they're not difficult and you're like me -- you've installed a billion kinds of seats, including tricky ones. There are very few I've never worked with, and generally it doesn't take too long to figure them out. You'll do great. :)

ElfJewel

I had never installed one before my class. They are pretty easy. I had to lift the cover to get the belt through, but it only took about a minute. If you've installed lots of seats you should be fine :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC