Update on daycare / sickness thread (long again!)

TheRealMacGyver

After much thought and consideration we decided to take our son back today to try it one last time (at the same place). We also scheduled a meeting with the owner to address our concerns. As we approached the front doors we noticed 3 different signs warning of rotavirus! One explained the symptoms, another explained that a doctors note was required to return if diagnosed with rotavirus, and another had a list of child's names that were not to enter without a doctor's note! So as we stood in awe reading these notices, we looked at each other and said, "we're not putting him back in here"! So, my wife went in to meet with them and I did an about-face and returned to the car. It really does sound like they are doing everything they can to prevent this. It just sounds like this virus has snowballed before they could get a handle on it. For now we really don't have to have him in there, so it just makes sense to keep him out another week or two before we try again. Another curious thing happened yesterday. My friend took her newborn in for his first Dr's appointment yesterday. She uses the same doctor as we do. Her son got his normal shots plus a rota-tech (SP?) oral liquid to prevent rotavirus! I'm going to ask my doctor about this, but I'm guessing it is either new or there has been a definite outbreak that has initiated this, because my son never got this. One thing I know for sure is this stuff is nasty. It has been so good to see my son back to his normal self after all this.

ADS

Dillipop

My son had the rotovirus vaccine at 2, 4 and 6 months. I asked about getting it for my older, but it is only approved for under 2 years, I believe. Once your son has had it, I don't think it will do any good, however.

MySillyKids

They are NOT allowed to post on the door, WHO was sick, thats just ODD. We could say the Classroom Number (1-4) and that was it. There's something going on with that day care for sure. (i was a preschool teacher for 3.5 years)

Mom2nj

My Niece had the rota-tech vaccination and it actually made her sick, she came down with the virus. The scarry thing was, she has/had absolutely NO reserve, she had to fight to gain every ounce, and at 11 weeks old she only gained 3lbs and she is forumla fed, so why they gave it to her is beyond me, but anyway... Just educate yourself on the vaccination before you decide to get it. From what I understood, it uses a live strain of the virus and they feed it to your child :eek: Your son as already had the virus, so he has some immunity already.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
The rotavirus vaccine can only be given within a specific age limit. I believe you cannot start the sequence of the vaccine after 6 months and the vaccine sequence needs to be completed by 9months at the absolute latest. I'm not 100% sure as it was JUST coming out and available to our health department as my clinical rotation ended, but if your DS is more than 6 months, you probablly can't get it. Bummer. Rotavirus is sooo not fun to deal with. Especially with those cloth diapers ;) *snortle*

TheRealMacGyver

Especially with those cloth diapers ;) *snortle*

Now you do know that anyone reading this that didn't read that other thread is going to wonder what in the heck you're talking about-right.:D Good dig though.
Actually I was thinking about the "blow-out" diarrea and wondering just how nasty that would have been to deal with if I was using cloth. I think I would have had to just chuck them out.

As for the rota-tech, I'm not running to get it anytime soon, just was wondering why they started it now and he didn't get it before. It may be that it is new, because I remember reading something about the old stuff being pulled because of some complications??

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
As for the rota-tech, I'm not running to get it anytime soon, just was wondering why they started it now and he didn't get it before. It may be that it is new, because I remember reading something about the old stuff being pulled because of some complications??

I believe that the current version of the vaccine just came back to the market a little over a year ago. My DS, 13 months, didn't get it because they weren't offering it at his ped at that point. I've seen signs at the ped lately for it.

BrookeSLP

Rotavirus is sooo not fun to deal with. Especially with those cloth diapers ;) *snortle*

Actually, I have never had a poopy blow out in cloth, not once with three kids. I've used disposables on vacations and have had at least 3 blowouts each time ('posies used for a week at a time). That is actually the main reason I use cloth. I cannot stand poopy blowouts, totally disgusting.

Melizerd

My son was born in December and he got it at his 2 month appt. My doctor told us it was fairly new.

skaterbabs

Yep, the only blow outs I ever had were with disposables as well, with one exception of an incrediably poor fit for my child with one diaper one time. We never used the diaper again, and all was good.

LuvBug

I had the same experience with cloth, no blowouts :shrug-shoulders:

back on topic... they were allowing children who were 'infected' to attend school as long as they had a doctor note? or did I read that wrong??

TheRealMacGyver

I had the same experience with cloth, no blowouts :shrug-shoulders:

back on topic... they were allowing children who were 'infected' to attend school as long as they had a doctor note? or did I read that wrong??

No, what they are saying is that if you have been diagnosed with rotavirus, then you need a doctors note saying that you are no longer contagious before coming back in. From what I understand you can still pass the virus for 8-10 days, so they are "asking" parents to keep them out for that duration (on good faith). It sounds like they had a mini-epidemic at this facility, because they even talked with the health department about what they could do to stop it.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
From my understanding, rotavirus is not a one time and you're immune thing - however, from the CDC "Immunity after infection is incomplete, but repeat infections tend to be less severe than the original infection."

The vaccine is live, and has been known to either cause rotavirus, or intusseption. Intusseption is where the bowels cross over on themselves and stop all elimination - obviously not good. The 1st rotavirus vaccine was pulled for intusseption, and the 2nd has already been flagged for it.

Not saying that rotavirus is good. It is bad, bad, bad, but these are things to consider.

Good luck finding a new daycare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC