Mirror Question :)

Kyras_Mama

Assuming I can get the angle right, can anyone think of an issue with sticking a couple of these [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PPR-Direct-Marketing-Adhesive-Mirror/dp/B0010YRXFU/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1299624121&sr=8-20"]mirror stickers[/ame] on the seatbacks/headrests behind our rearfacers so we can check up on them from the front? Not thinking so much of the driver but I would like to be able to see them from the passenger seat on long trips.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't see them working, but if they do, sure.

I use a lightweight mirror that's pinned down. No, it won't hold in a crash, likely, but at 10 ounces in a 60 mph collision that's 37.5 pounds of force. It takes 2,000 pounds to the forehead to kill someone, 400-4,000 pounds to the chest, depending on age (let's assume Laine is 400 still), and 76 pounds of force directly to the throat. So even in a serious collision, even if it comes off, even if it hits her directly in her throat, it cannot kill her. Bruise, yes. I make the choice to use it as a parent.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is the issue of "gazing danger." At least one study has shown that drivers using these mirrors to view children were statistically slightly more likely to get involved in accidents because they were more likely to be distracted, looking at their child(ren.) However, some parents get very anxious if they CAN'T see their child, or sometimes there is a medical need to keep an eye on the child and no other way to do it. So, it is a parental decision you can make, once you know the risks (gazing danger as well as projectile hazards.) :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
There is the issue of "gazing danger." At least one study has shown that drivers using these mirrors to view children were statistically slightly more likely to get involved in accidents because they were more likely to be distracted, looking at their child(ren.) However, some parents get very anxious if they CAN'T see their child, or sometimes there is a medical need to keep an eye on the child and no other way to do it. So, it is a parental decision you can make, once you know the risks (gazing danger as well as projectile hazards.) :)

Another benefit to weigh against the risks is that with a mirror, a parent is less likely to forget that the child hasn't been dropped off at daycare or wherever and accidentally leave them in the car. It's one of those things where the parent wouldn't even realize they'd "forgotten" about the child for a few seconds - they'd just glance in the rear-view and see the kid, and probably never even realize they'd blanked out for a few seconds, yk?

Kyras_Mama

http://www.safefit.com/p_detail.php?select=brand&id_brand=3&id_subbrand=10&id_article=69

It's light enough that if I tossed it at Laine, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Wendy

How does that one attach? I've been looking at the mirrors online but have had a terrible time telling which ones are lightweight and how they fasten in the car. We'd need 3 to put on the three seats w/ headrests in our second row.

I'm not too worried about gazing danger as we had a mirror in the back when oldest dd was an infant and if I was driving I never looked at it, only when I was in the passenger seat. DH rarely goes anywhere with the girls by himself and when he does it's generally just the 3 year old who can respond to questions.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you have headrests it loops around the headrest back onto itself. Or it can attach to a tether if you have one nearby.

Wendy

ajewel

I have this mirror:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Adjustable-Back-Seat-Mirror/dp/B002A9JCYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1299790507&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Munchkin Adjustable Back Seat Mirror: Baby[/ame]

I particularly like it since it has straps that secure with a clip both horizontally and vertically. Honestly, the only way that mirror is going to come off is if the whole headrest comes off as well.

It's also adjustible left & right and up & down.

I think I paid $15 for it at walmart.

TXmom2

I use a similar mirror as Wendy. It's a Soft frame shatterproof mirror with no hard surfaces (I had one that had a light w/ a little plastic dome which I removed)
I prefer the ability to check on my rear facer periodically..especially when I am the passenger or at red lights and such. I feel that it's a parental choice I make to keep DD rear facing longer and to use the mirror :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC