yes another wwyd?!

stephie1012

DD is about 47.5lbs now. Shes in a regent, i drive a hyundai entourage which defers to the seat manufacturer for latch, its 48lbs. She sits in the 3rd row. I cant get a good seatbelt install. I actually suck at all seatbelt installs. She also has a booster back there as well. She does amazing in the booster. DS and DD are in 2nd row. I will also be watching my new nephew when his mom starts work. So im going to need the seat in the back for his seat.
Ok so should i buy a new seat to keep kyleigh harnessed? I cant put DS back there, he has SPD, PDD and some other issues, he gets car sick and is very needy. I would also prefer not to have the 2 babies back there by themselves.
So i have dd is the regent (im sick of that huge seat lol) DS 39lbs in the TF and DD2 18lbs in the OB35 and my newborn nephew in a snugride 35.
so what would you do??

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
She could go in a booster. But I an worried that you suck at seat belt installs. :p Is there any way you can get with a tech and learn about them? They aren't that bad when you do them awhile.

stephie1012

She could go in a booster. But I an worried that you suck at seat belt installs. :p Is there any way you can get with a tech and learn about them? They aren't that bad when you do them awhile.

lol yea it concerns me as well. I did good installing the base with lockoffs but the regent is so big with no lock offs i couldnt figure out how to get the seatbelt to tighten it was a mess.
There are no techs listed on c-s.org in NJ. I know there are 1 or 2 on here tho. I went to a check a few years ago and i was showing them how to install the seats, it wasnt pleasant.

Chameleon

I wouldn't buy a new seat to keep her harnessed when you already said she does amazing in a booster.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well, it is a Hyundai ;) I have more issues in them for some reason. First thing you need to figure out is how you seat belt locks. Is it at the retractor (switchable) or at the latchplate?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've been in 3 different Hyundai's for installing--1 SUV, 2 sedan's---and all have them locked at the retractor. You pull the belt all the way out and you'll hear/feel it switch modes. As it goes back in, you'll hear a ratcheting sound. If you try to pull more out, it won't allow you to until you let the entire belt reel back in.

Susan

afdani1984

I did a seatbelt install in a completely different make of vehicle (Chevy) but this is what helped me.

- Run the seatbelt through the correct beltpath (i was doing a RF install with a RN) and tighten the lapbelt as much as you can.

- Pull the shoulder belt alllllll the way out until you hear the click and it switches modes. Let a little bit of the shoulderbelt back at a time while occasionally feeding the lap belt through the belt path just to make sure it stays tight and there's no slack.

It took me about 5 tries to get it good and tight. I tried putting myself in a few different positions too. I put my knee in the seat and pulled the shoulderbelt away from me, then jumped out and made sure the lapbelt was fed through as much as I could possibly get. At one point I was kneeling on the ground next to my car to push the lapbelt through with one hand and pull the shoulder belt with the other. I had to really put my body into it to get the shoulderbelt all the way out in one shot. The rear seatbelts in my car only unlock when the seatbelt is unclipped.

stephie1012

ok if i have time i will play with the seatbelts tomorrow....i can always get the front passenger locked when i sit there and it annoys me but never the back lol. And judi i have no clue what you said about switchable things lol im totally lost on the seatbelt thing!

afdani1984

ok if i have time i will play with the seatbelts tomorrow....i can always get the front passenger locked when i sit there and it annoys me but never the back lol. And judi i have no clue what you said about switchable things lol im totally lost on the seatbelt thing!

What year is your vehicle? I know alot of people say refer to your owners manual to find out what type of seat belts you have. That was a load of bunk in my case, as my manual said nothing about locking mechanisms in the seat belts. Just how to wear them properly.

Seatbelts typically lock one of two ways. They lock in the retractor, which is a switchable mechanism. This is up inside the housing for the seatbelt shoulder strap. You will know if your seat has this type of locking mechanism, because if you pull the shoulder strap all the way out you will hear it "switch". Then if you let a little of the seatbelt feed back into the retractor, stop, then pull back towards you..the seatbelt will be locked.

Seatbelts with a locking clip at the latch plate will have something like this seatbelt pictured. See how the belt feeds through that plate in two spots?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Seatbelt.jpg

This is what the latch plate in my car looks like. The latchplate only has one slot and the belt moves freely through it.

http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a06/hb/ao/do-seats-2008-chevy-cobalt_-800X800.jpg

If your auto seat has one of those two locking mechanisms..you shouldn't need to use a locking clip. My husband currently drives an old 1993 euro spec Mitsubishi Lancer, with no latch and no locking seatbelts whatso ever..so to install a seat in his car with the 3-pt belt..I'd need to use a locking clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC