Minivan or SUV

U

Unregistered

I am in the process of looking for a new used car. I have one child who is FF in 2 Britax Boulevards. We are thinking of having another child in the next year. As I refuse to have a car payment our budget is very limited right now. I have an Landrover Discovery right now and love the car, but maintenance is getting costly as it is getting older. I love SUV's but I seriously doubt we will be able to afford one with a 3rd row. We don't NEED one with a 3rd row right now, but I'm afraid when we have 2 children plus friends and family we may need more space. My husband thinks I should just give in and get a minivan, but I really like the look of SUV's so much better. I'm looking at a 2003-2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander or a 2003 Honda Odyssey.

1-How much more convenient is a minivan?

2- How do carseats fit in these cars- particularly Britax Boulevards as we already have those?

3- Are there any annoying things about any of these cars with regards to children/car seats, etc?

Thanks!

ADS

luckyclov

*I* prefer a minivan.

You get more space, both leg room and cargo space wise, you generally get better gas mileage, 3 rows of easy-to-get-to useable seats (most, if not all, of which have removeable/adjustable headrests), you typically get better crash ratings, and you have better visibility due to the large front/rear/side windows. Plus, dual sliding doors - power or not - are soooo much better than dealing with traditional doors.

Britax convertibles tend to install fairly easily in *most* vehicles - I don't think you'll have much of an issue there...but, of course, you should always bring your carseats with you on test drives and try them out as well.

DW was a "minivan over my dead body" person... until we rented one on a vacation. With just 1 kid (and her mom). After living with one for a week, she's ALL about the minivan space. Even if you don't technically need it, it's GREAT to have. Particularly if you spend a decent amount of time in the car (she likes to wait in the car with the kids while I run into the store to get stuff).

I grew up with minivans and I never got the stigma against them. The usefulness just so far outweighs a SUV that the image thing (in my mind) can't rise up enough to be enough of a counterpoint. I recognize people have a strong stigma against minivans (DW formerly being one of the most die hard against them), but I figure by the time you have kids and have drool over you, diaper bags, strollers, etc... sorry, it's kinda pointless to be "cool" by driving a SUV.

Just for fun, I even directly compared a new Sequoia (cuz I love how it looks) against a Sienna. Just way more useable space in the Sienna, which is like 2/3 the size of a Sequoia.

Spam

I've always been anti-minivan, until I started riding in my moms a lot. Now, I'm lusting for one. I have a durango, w/ the third row and there just isn't the same amount space. My truck is roomy enough, and I can easily get four kids in it, it just doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff. And seriously with gas prices, I rarely drive it anywhere.

My friend owned an 03 santa fe. It was fine, seemed a little cramped to me. Pretty sure she had her dd in the middle rfing as an infant due to space issues, then moved her outboard when she turned her. She traded in her 03 and bought 08, so she really likes them. I installed a classic blvd outboard rfing for a shopping trip w/ her once and it was doable, not much room between the two seats though.

I'm sure whichever you chose the blvds will fit nicely in. I test drove an outlander and liked it, but probably out of your choices I would go with odyssey. I can't wait until I can finally convice dh it's time for a van.

wyomommyx3

I swore up, down and sideways I would never be a mini-van mom... but I am... and don't tell anybody, but I love it!;) I have an '06 Town & Country for what it's worth.

We've had an Escape, an Explorer and a Pathfinder, and while I did love the 4 wheel drive for winter (SD... brrr) I love the room, ease of getting kids in and out, and the built-in carseats and DVD are nice in an emergency or for field trips. (Not to mention, our car payment is about $300 less a month than it was with the SUV)

I never thought I'd say it, but I honestly think our next car will be another van too.

ETA: I currently have a SS1 and a Britax RA in the 2nd row... and a Marathon and a Frontier in the 3rd row. There is room in the 3rd row for a booster or a Radian in between (tried both and they fit... though the booster is a PITB to buckle... but it's skinny enough to do it if needed)

Last edited:

Emi's Mommy

I swore up and down that I would never ever get a minivan. I was looking at Santa Fe's, Vue's etc to replace my sedan. I had a van for a rental for two days while my back bumper was being repaired after an accident. My life was changed.

The sliding doors(which weren't even power) were amazing to have with a baby. It was SO much easier to get her in and out of the vehicle, especially when people parked too close. My stroller, tons of bags of groceries, a case of bottled water and a giant box of diapers fit in the back, even with the third row up, with tons of room to spare.

I can see it being useful when my kids are older and we're taking trips and doing sports/dance etc. Right now, because I'm only in my early 20's I'm not quite ready to make the jump yet, so I'm strongly considering the Mazda5. But in the next 5 years or so, I'll be a minivan driving mama for sure!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Another "death before I'd own a minvan" convert here, 6 years and counting since we bought our '05 8-passenger FWD Sienna to replace an '03 Saturn Vue (a small/mid-sized SUV). :) The Sienna's mileage is better than our former V6 AWD Vue and it has a smaller turning circle than the Vue, but I do pine for something smaller with better gas mileage of late, though, and I tend to swipe DH's Scion xB whenever I can. The sliding doors, seating flexibility, and cargo room are a boon in the Sienna, particularly when we have friends or extended family riding along with us or for longer road trips, and I will definitely miss those features if and when we downsize to something smaller and more fuel efficient.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC