Question bringing up car seat advice to others - advice?

amandav

is there any nice way to do this? I know my friend who knew more about car seats came to me and explained that I had one of my daughters in a seat that was too big for her. (this was back in 2008) and I thank her for that.
I pick up my older DD from school, and noticed one of the moms had an old car seat, the ones with the hunk of plastic that comes down in from of the child. I know those have to be expired, and I want to say something but I don't want to sound mean, or rude, I just want to let her know in case she didn't realize they expire.
also another mom, her son is in my DD's class and I talk to her when we go to pick up the kids, and I was parked in the line so I was standing outside my van, and it was "filled" with seats, and she said "wow thats alot of seats", and she is PG due soon so I ask her what she has (car seat) for her new baby, and then she goes on to tell me how her son (6) refuses to sit in a car seat so she doesnt make him, but that they dont ever drive far, etc...
I want to say something to both moms, but I just dont know how. esp the 6 yr old who isnt even in a booster, that is illegal here in Texas 8yrs old or so tall before they can go without a seat, and he is def not close to the height..

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
"I found this great website that has helped me learn SO much about car seats. I found out so many things I wish I'd known sooner, I had no idea there was so much to know in order to keep my kids safe. You should check it out (hands them a paper with www.car-seat.org on it)."

Then leave it at that. Lots of people get offended when you mention car seats. They can choose to research here and ask for advise if they choose. Otherwise, they may choose to hate you if you push it.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My best line is 'May I share something with you?'. If they say yes, then I share. :)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Her overhead sheild seat may not be expired. They were still made into 2008 or 2009, I believe.

Susan

amandav

good advice, I should just have a couple of brocures with this website on it, nothing "crazy" of course..
THANKS
-
I would bet money the seat is expired. the seat even looks ragged from far away.
she has older kids around the age of 10 or so, so Im wondering if its fromthem. also by the looks of the stroller I saw her whip out, that thing was not only old as far as style the thing was on its last leg.
hm this reminds me not too long ago I saw a mom and dad with a new baby and they had older kids, and the stroller system HAD to be from the much older children because the car seat infant carrier and stroller fabric was VERY faded almost white denim, and that when out of style YEARS and YEARS ago

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC