Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

bringing up car seat advice to others - advice?

is there any nice way to do this? I know my friend who knew more about car seats came to me and explained that I had one of my daughters in a seat that was too big for her. (this was back in 2008) and I thank her for that.
    I pick up my older DD from school, and noticed one of the moms had an old car seat, the ones with the hunk of plastic that comes down in from of the child. I know those have to be expired, and I want to say something but I don't want to sound mean, or rude, I just want to let her know in case she didn't realize they expire.
    also another mom, her son is in my DD's class and I talk to her when we go to pick up the kids, and I was parked in the line so I was standing outside my van, and it was "filled" with seats, and she said "wow thats alot of seats", and she is PG due soon so I ask her what she has (car seat) for her new baby, and then she goes on to tell me how her son (6) refuses to sit in a car seat so she doesnt make him, but that they dont ever drive far, etc...
    I want to say something to both moms, but I just dont know how. esp the 6 yr old who isnt even in a booster, that is illegal here in Texas 8yrs old or so tall before they can go without a seat, and he is def not close to the height..
    SAHM to Veronica 7yrs, in a GN, Valerie 6yrs also in a GN & Baby Vincent 12/01/2010 RF in a True Fit Premier

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: bringing up car seat advice to others - advice?

"I found this great website that has helped me learn SO much about car seats. I found out so many things I wish I'd known sooner, I had no idea there was so much to know in order to keep my kids safe. You should check it out (hands them a paper with www.car-seat.org on it)."

Then leave it at that. Lots of people get offended when you mention car seats. They can choose to research here and ask for advise if they choose. Otherwise, they may choose to hate you if you push it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar
    My best line is 'May I share something with you?'. If they say yes, then I share.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

CPS Technician

Her overhead sheild seat may not be expired. They were still made into 2008 or 2009, I believe.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

good advice, I should just have a couple of brocures with this website on it, nothing "crazy" of course..
    THANKS
    -
    I would bet money the seat is expired. the seat even looks ragged from far away.
    she has older kids around the age of 10 or so, so Im wondering if its fromthem. also by the looks of the stroller I saw her whip out, that thing was not only old as far as style the thing was on its last leg.
    hm this reminds me not too long ago I saw a mom and dad with a new baby and they had older kids, and the stroller system HAD to be from the much older children because the car seat infant carrier and stroller fabric was VERY faded almost white denim, and that when out of style YEARS and YEARS ago
    SAHM to Veronica 7yrs, in a GN, Valerie 6yrs also in a GN & Baby Vincent 12/01/2010 RF in a True Fit Premier