Which Radians?

Three&Counting

Hi there! I'm hoping to get some advice regarding Radians. I can't check my manuals right now, so I have a few questions.

We've got 2 Radian Premiers which are currently being used by our 2 youngest kiddos. They're turning 2 and 3 years old, and our 2yo is RF, 3yo is FF. I'd like to keep 2yo RF as he's quite small.

I'd like to buy 2 more Radians, but I'm not sure which models. Are the differences significant?

One will be for our 5 year old. I tried him in one of his brothers seats and he's got a ways to go. Are the wings on the XT more for older children than younger? Would the XT be a better choice than one of the 'lesser' seats?

The other will be for a newborn. I was just going to get a Radian65 and switch with one of our others so the baby would have the Premier + cushions.

Our seats were purchased in 2008, so I'm assuming 2007 date of manufacture (I'll have to check). I think I read that the RF limits have changed since then. Does anyone know the RF limit on their 2007 seats?

We're getting a van, so we'll likely have the 2 RF in the 2nd row, and 2 FF in the back.

ADS

mommycat

From what I have read in the past, the headwings on the XTs cannot be used with the bottom few harness positions or some similar restriction, making them a bit of a wasted feature for smaller kids who are still RF. The infant padding that comes with the 2 higher levels of seat are sold separately in grey or cream under the name "Comfy Soft" so your older 65s can be retrofitted with the infant padding, or you can take the padding out of a new seat and move it over to your older seat. I would use one of your older seats with the nfant padding added for the newborn. Do they have the old chunky chest clip or the newer narrow clip? Not sure if these are able to be swapped out if you prefer the newer buckle for a teeny baby.

What are the RF weight limits on your current seats? The RF limits on the Radians changed a few times, so depending on your DOM your seats may be 30lbs RF, 35lbs RF or maybe 40lbs RF (some changes were retroactive via a statement on the website so you can use higher despite stickers) - what are your exact DOMs? I can't recall the dates of the changes. New Radians go to 40/45lbs depending on model. All the shells are basically the same so the shell heights or slot positions are same.

I would use XTs for FF kids who can get the benefit of the wings, and need it more for SIP. RF kids are ok without them since RF itself provides SIP and because of the issue with not being able to use the wings for lower slots anyway.

Are you considering switching the 3yo back RF at all? You probably could if child is not exceptionally tall/heavy. As for the 5yo, I am wondering why you would consider the Radian vs. a booster or a harnessed/booster combination seat like the Frontier, Nautilus or even a Maestro? It seems a bit of a waste to get a convertible for a child who will never RF, unless you plan to pas it down or need it because it is narrow.

Do you know the vehicle you are getting? The Radian has issues with a few vehicles with recline angle or tight installs/buckle stalks/etc., so it would be a good idea to check installs in the model vehicle you plan to get BEFORE committing to all the seats.

mommycat

Just re-read and it seems your older seats are Premier models with cushions... so yes, putting the baby in the older seat makes even more sense. :)

Three&Counting

We have no idea which vehicle we'll be getting, but it'll be a minivan. When we start looking I guess I'll be doing my homework as to which vans would be best with Radians.

I'm not sure of the DOM right now, the car's not here to check, but I will be looking tonight. We have one of each chest clip.

DH is not terribly fond of ERF and it's been a struggle to convince him. Our 2yo is only still RF (in DH's opinion) because he doesn't think they'll puzzle if they're all FF - he's staying RF for a while, though.

As for our 5yo in a Radian.. He's turning 5 in May. His seat is expiring and we needed a narrow seat for 3-across, so I was going to get him a Radian as well. Then we decided to get a van sooner and I never really thought to change the Radian to something else. Though, we do plan to have another kiddo in 3-4 years, so I'm sure his seat could be passed down through the ranks. Plus, if we end up with a 7-seater, chances are I'll need to squish in between seats in the back (DH drives, my mom in passenger) and I'd like to fit. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What are the RF weight limits on your current seats? The RF limits on the Radians changed a few times, so depending on your DOM your seats may be 30lbs RF, 35lbs RF or maybe 40lbs RF (some changes were retroactive via a statement on the website so you can use higher despite stickers) - what are your exact DOMs? I can't recall the dates of the changes. New Radians go to 40/45lbs depending on model. All the shells are basically the same so the shell heights or slot positions are same.

I believe the changes in weight limit weren't retroactive on any of the Canadian seats, only US seats. Until the 2010 model, the only model with a 35lb limit was the XT, everything else was 30lbs rf'ing.

mommycat

Thanks for clearing that up, Trudy! Sometimes it's hard to keep track of on which side of the border I read something. :p

Sounds like you have options, Three&Counting. Unless you 5yo is too close to the 47-lb harness limit, you could try out the Evenflo Maestro instead of a Radian, as an option. It's not hugely wider, ~same top slots, 47lb harness limit, does convert to a decent though short HB booster, I believe same 8yr expiry, and is about half to a third the price of the Radian (they are regular $129.99 at TRU/Zellers/I think Sears?, sometimes on sale for $99). And it has cupholders... LOL

mommycat

Oh yes, and you could also consider the Complete Air for older RF kids. Only a little wider and easily installs more upright. Puzzles well with Radians when facing same direction. Don't know what it's like to sit next to. Bottom slots too tall to fit smaller babies, so definitely not for a newborn. Can get a nice sale price sometimes, I have seen some of them clearanced at $129 lately.

Three&Counting

I believe the changes in weight limit weren't retroactive on any of the Canadian seats, only US seats. Until the 2010 model, the only model with a 35lb limit was the XT, everything else was 30lbs rf'ing.

Okay, so chances are mine are 30lbs? Boo, I thought it was more than that. It'll have to be my 2yo's Radian that I switch with the baby's then.

Sounds like you have options, Three&Counting. Unless you 5yo is too close to the 47-lb harness limit, you could try out the Evenflo Maestro instead of a Radian, as an option. It's not hugely wider, ~same top slots, 47lb harness limit, does convert to a decent though short HB booster, I believe same 8yr expiry, and is about half to a third the price of the Radian (they are regular $129.99 at TRU/Zellers/I think Sears?, sometimes on sale for $99). And it has cupholders... LOL

My 5yo is hovering around 38lbs, but a Radian would keep him harnessed until 65lbs, isn't that right? I'd like to keep him in a 5pt as long as possible. Right now he's got an Evenflo Chase, which I don't like at all and am happy to get rid of.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Okay, so chances are mine are 30lbs? Boo, I thought it was more than that. It'll have to be my 2yo's Radian that I switch with the baby's then.

My 5yo is hovering around 38lbs, but a Radian would keep him harnessed until 65lbs, isn't that right? I'd like to keep him in a 5pt as long as possible. Right now he's got an Evenflo Chase, which I don't like at all and am happy to get rid of.

Most kids outgrow their seats by height before weight, so if your 5yr old is 38lbs, there's no way he'd make 65lbs in the Radian harness. Probably not even 50lbs. There's a big difference between the Evenflo Chase and the Maestro, and a 47lb weight limit is going to be tons to get him until he's in a booster.

With older kids who are over 40lbs and mature enough to sit still in a booster without moving out of position, there's no known benefit to keeping them in a harness. He has to be consistently over 40lbs before moving him to a booster, but reasonably he's probably going to be 7 or 8 before hitting 65lbs and unless he's special needs developmentally, there's no need to harness a kid that long. :thumbsup:

mommycat

How much room did your DS have from his shoulder to the top slot when you tried him in the Radian? DS1 still had about ~1-1.5" to grow in his Radian before reaching the top slot (installed) but recently started to complain on every ride that he was uncomfortable, so we switched seats. I am not comfortable using the Radian past the top slot even though SK claims it's OK.

DS1 is just 6yo and only 42lbs at ~45" tall, ~16" torso. I am not sure he would have got to 65lbs before outgrowing by height. If he stays on his CDC growth curve (~25th percentile for weight), he won't hit 65lbs until 10.5yo. He should be 47lbs at just over 7yo. Your DS is around the same curve or a little lower (depending on whether he is closer to the 4yo or 6yo end of 5yo). 45" is ~40th percentile line for height, so it seems like DS1 might be 53" just ~9.5yo (I think that's the height limit for the Radian?) and might be at the top slot earlier than that. Not sure how your son would compare. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight by typical kids.

Personally I don't see any need to harness much past 6-7yo if the child is typical and can sit properly, unless you need a specific seat for a lapbelt only spot or a narrow seat, or whatever. There is no evidence that harnessing is safer. I wouldn't go out and replace a working seat with a booster, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy the highest harness, either. If you are worried about the safety of a booster, rest assured that it's not a huge concern, as long as the booster fits well and the child can use it as directed (including not slumping when he sleeps - DS slumps in the PW but not the TB :eek: ). If you love the Radians and want the seat to be narrow, and don't mind spending the extra money to get the seat you want, then the Radian is a great seat. :thumbsup: I totally understand being happy to get rid of the Chase. ;)

Here's another guideline for average growth for a quick check on how long you can expect DS to fit in the Radian:
http://www.oregondairycouncil.org/what_is_normal/pdf/weight_gain_children.pdf
Pre-Adolescence (about 6-10 years of age)
There is much variation among individuals. Children gain, on average, about 5-8 cm (2-3 inches) per year and about 2-3 kg (5-7 pounds) per year between 6 and 10 years of age. Sex differences are minor. As adolescence and puberty begin, growth rates increase, first in height and then in weight.

Three&Counting

Okay so I guess passing down an XT wouldn't be so handy, either, since by the time we'd need another Radian, our 3yo would be boostered as well and we'd have his. Hmm..

syd'smom

Just wanted to remind you to check the tether points when you go van shopping. The third row in my freestar has latch for only the middle seat and top tether for only the middle seat position, so I could only ever put one ffing kid in the third row.

mam521

:yeahthat:

Here's a current post of someone with issues with a third row Dodge Grand Caravan. There is a retrofit to get 3 tethers, but its definitely a question to ask if you're looking at different manufacturer's vans AND be aware that the sales staff may not be familiar with a retrofit. You may want to research in advance once you've narrowed your search :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=163927

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC