Graco Nautilus 3in1

MommiJenn

My 6.5 yr old and 4.5 yr old both have a Nautilus and we all love them! My #3 is almost 2.5 and still RF in a Cosco Scenera. I noticed when buckling her in the other day that her straps would come loose if I pulled firmly enough (without pushing the release button). So she's in desperate need of a new seat, but I was planning on putting her in a Nautilus as well when she was big enough. I just read the weight limit starts at 20lbs. She's 24 (and really tall for her age as well). Would you ladies go ahead and make the transition to FF in a Nautilus? I don't wanna spend money on another RF seat when she's so close to FF. Any opinions? I've also got to move my 7m old (20 lbs) into a convertible seat, he looks so squished in the infant one!

ADS

ericarizo

Cosco just had a huge recall on a ton of seats and it sounds like your is one of them. I would contact Cosco to find out for sure and if it is recalled they will send you the lube to fix it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You need to report the Scenera issues to NHTSA as soon as possible. This is an issue that is known by Dorel with some of their other seats. They tend to replace, and the seats disappear. Please report this.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
2 years old and 24 pounds doesn't have to be "so close to FFing" if you don't want it to be. There are plenty of reasonably priced (Nautilus range) seats that will keep her RFing for 1 or 2 or more years.

Baylor

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Boulevard-Convertible-Seat-Onyx/dp/B003OUWILW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299516689&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Britax Boulevard 70 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame]

That is the seat I wish I would have bought for my big 2 year old. It RF to 40 lbs and forward faces to 70lbs.

Tt is awesome you have RF'd to 2.5yrs
but at her size!!! If it were me, I would be still rf with a seat that I could get a lot of use out of FF too.

ETA: Or you could get 2 of these..
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Roundabout-Convertible-Seat-Onyx/dp/B003OUWIIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1299516689&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: Britax Roundabout 55 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame]

One for baby and one for 2.5 yr old. They RF to 40 lbs too.

PurpleLucy

Ditto that it sounds like your scenera is one of the seats recalled! If you want to keep it for her, definitely contact Dorel to get the "fix". Do NOT use the seat until you get the fix!

If you want to get a new seat, I would definitely stay with a convertible. She sounds tiny, she could probably RF MUCH longer in the right seat. Since you like the Nauti's so much, I'd recommend getting the MyRide65 for her to keep her RF longer. If you want to venture from Graco, I'd recommend the Complete Air. It has a very tall shell so she can RF the longest in this seat. It also has very tall slots, so you would likely not need to get her a Nauti down the road. It's possible he could make it to booster age in that seat. Unless of-course she has a really tall torso.

MommiJenn

I've really been torn between keeping her RF or turning her, but with our vehicle situation it's been a big struggle to have two RF seats for this long. Turning her would make getting in and out easier on the big kids, and getting groceries in and out as well. If we could get a roomier vehicle I think I'd be more willing to keep her RF. Thanks though!

MommiJenn

She's thin, but tall and does have a long torso. The reason I'm so set on the Nautilus is that it can be used until we're done with seats period and wouldn't have to buy another one at all. The less seats we have to purchase, the happier DH will be! Right now I'm feeling like turning her around in a Nautilus would at least be safer than having her in the Cosco. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into reporting the issue with the Cosco!

Irishmama

How close is she to the top of the shell in her Scenera? I know she is under the weight limit for rear-facing, but how is she on height?

If she has an inch or less of hard shell abover her head, she has outgrown it rear-facing. That may make your decision about what to do next a little easier. :)

Lemonade

Is your 6.5 yr old ready for a booster? If so, you can pass that Nautilus down and get the older child a booster. At 2.5, I would FF but I know many here would still RF a lot longer.
Or, if your baby has a few months longer in the infant seat, you can get another convertible and use it RF for your 2 yr old until the baby needs it, then maybe pass down the nautilus.

Baylor

What kind of car do you have? Because some of these gals are amazing at puzzing seats to make them fit and easier for the the older ones to have access.

henrietta

If you are set on turning her around and putting her in a Nautilus, I would hand the 6.5 yrs old's down to her, and buying her a dedicated booster. The Nauti doesn't always make the best fitting booster--it depends on the kid and the car...plus, it's wide. I'd look at a Graco Turbo, Recaro, or Britax Parkway for your 6.5 yr old. For the baby, I'd buy an SK Radian or a Graco My Ride (if he looks like he's going to be small like his sis).

Buying a dedicated booster plus one convertible is going to be cheaper than one Nautilus and one more convertible depending on what you buy.

If you want to keep her rearfacing, which would be wonderful, I would probably try to go w/a Radian b/c of how long it will last and get the younger baby something cheaper like an Evenflo Tribute Sport (b/c he can move up into the Radian in another 2 yrs and she can have one of the Nautilus).

GL!

cookie123

If you get the Scenera fixed with the recall, you could pass that down to the baby and get a bigger seat to rf your toddler, then later that could be passed down to the baby, the toddler could go to the Nautilus, and the oldest could get a booster.

What vehicle are you using. Do you have to do a 3 across? There are 4 kids, is that correct?

henrietta

Amazon.com: Britax Boulevard 70 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: Baby
Amazon.com: Britax Boulevard 70 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: BabyAmazon.com: Britax Boulevard 70 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx: Baby

That is the seat I wish I would have bought for my big 2 year old. It RF to 40 lbs and forward faces to 70lbs.

I LOVE our Britax seats, but wanted to point out that my 2.5 yr old outgrew them rearfacing a few months ago. (and ours are the 65's, so taller than the new ones). He's tall and long torsoed, but he's not a huge kid. He wears 3T, 36-37" tall, and 33 lbs. They definitely are not the longest lasting rearfacing seat out there, even w/the new 40 lbs rearfacing weight limit.

;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC