Tooth damage from biting/chewing

TheRealMacGyver

My wife seems to think that our son has worn part of his teeth away from biting on stuff. I've looked, but I don't notice anything different. He does bite and chew anything he can get his hands on (we don't let him chew on anything other than teething stuff). Anyhow, sometimes he does chew on something before you catch him, and then you notice later. For instance, the bottom of his bottles and the plastic tray in his high chair have teeth marks where he bites into the plastic. Needless to say, we are keeping a closer watch on him now that we've noticed it. have any of you experienced anything similar and if so, do you have any tips other than the obvious.

Last edited:
ADS

LeeLi

Hmmm, I guess if it were my kid I wouldn't worry too much. I think that unlike with decay, chipped or worn baby teeth will not affect how his adult teeth look. Of course damaged enamel can cause decay, so that's a reason to be a little careful. Although I think that an average kid will not bite hard enough to do serious tooth damage.
The biting could be from teething or from a desire to explore. If it's exploration you can encourage him to mouth it instead of biting by letting him mouth whatever he wants but taking things from him when he bites down on them. Otherwise, maybe you can just find more things for him to chew on? As we were talking about in last week's thread about sickness, small exposures to dirt and germs are actually good for kids. With the 13mos I care for I let him mouth any of his toys etc. unless we are outside when I just tell him "we're outside so it's not for your mouth, use your hands instead".

Loves2sing

OMG, that sounds just like Jenna! I wouldn't worry too much about it, just obviously keep an eye on what he is putting in his mouth, electrical cords, ect. Jenna could find the grossest things to stick in her mouth, and her teeth are a-okay thus far! The only part that I always worried about were the cleanliness of the crap that she shoved in her mouth. Like my flip-flops on occasion!:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC