Dugger family almost at #17!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

Morganthe

{shudder}

Sorry, but that's just way too many childbirths for me to say automatically -- "Hey, great, you're such a mommy." Pre-birth control in my ancestral line, within the last 5 generations were about 8 kids at the most, so that could be an inherited shudder. ;)

Then again, maybe if I HAD a 7,000 square foot house, I'd be tempted to fill it like a stadium too :p

I just have a hard time conceptualizing that they're as involved with 16 children as other parents are with 2 or 3. After a certain number, the kids start raising one another more than the parents can possibly can. There's not enough time in the day :shrug-shoulders:

jmho
If she's happy, then that's all well & good for that family :)

Last edited:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
{shudder}

I just have a hard time conceptualizing that they're as involved with 16 children as other parents are with 2 or 3. After a certain number, the kids start raising one another more than the parents can possibly can. :shrug-shoulders:

jmho

i think they openly admit to this though. that the older kids always help...i dunno seems to work for them. definately not my cup of tea...but what can you say?

MsFacetious

They only got the 7,000 sq foot house after like kid number 15. Before that they shared 1 bathroom and had like 5 kids to each bedroom.

Carseats - they use expired t-shields for the ones who are in them. They have the 15 passenger vans too.

They don't watch TV, or have video games, or anything like that. So all time is spent as a family. I personally want my kids to be kids... I raised my brother from the time I turned 6 and I resent him for it. I don't think it's right to have so many children that your other children have to raise them. But that's just my opinion. I couldn't handle that, I have to take care of my own kids.

But, whatever works I guess. A few of the kids though have said that they don't want ANY kids.

Kellyr2

I really can't say anything about their lifestyle or how many kids, because I think if it works for them, that's great.
However, what I CAN say, is that I really wish they'd protect all those kids in the car better!
I can just imagine the coronary one of us would have if we saw one of their huge vans driving down the road, full of kids in expired t-shields and other crappy seats.

TheRealMacGyver

Wonder if there's something in that Ozark Mountain water!:eek: Hey if they are up for it, I say good for them. I just don't understand how you can find time to work on more when you have that many running around-if you know what I mean. Maybe they get a babysitter and go rent a room:confused:

Looks like chaoticoctipus has some competition huh.

mominabigtruck

I'm sorry but with that many kids you're not the one actually doing the raising of the kids. I feel bad for those kids having so much responsibiltiy put on them at an early age and being made into jokes because their parents apparently want to repopulate the earth.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I really can't say anything about their lifestyle or how many kids, because I think if it works for them, that's great.
However, what I CAN say, is that I really wish they'd protect all those kids in the car better!
I can just imagine the coronary one of us would have if we saw one of their huge vans driving down the road, full of kids in expired t-shields and other crappy seats.

No kidding... I wish they'd update their seat situation...I'd hate to see what would happen if they were in a bad crash...imagine losing like half your kids at one time (well, *I* imagine that all the time... )

:twocents:

cpsaddict

I grew up as one of six and yes, I did have to help with the younger ones. We all came along pretty quickly. All six in 10 years and 12 days! However, I don't resent my siblings. In fact, if there is some type of emergency they tend to turn to me. I don't mind that, really. They also ask my opinion on all sorts of things. Also, while I would not want that many kids, I don't begrudge someone else for doing it. I have watched every single Dugger episode and I have a lot of respect for them. My favorite is her schedule. She says they may not get it all done, but at least they have a goal!
The Dugger kids seem very polite and well-behaved.
I REALLY wish they would pay a little more attention to the car seat situation, though. Even just tighten the straps a bit. Yikes.

Loves2sing

I grew up as one of six and yes, I did have to help with the younger ones. We all came along pretty quickly. All six in 10 years and 12 days! However, I don't resent my siblings. In fact, if there is some type of emergency they tend to turn to me. I don't mind that, really. They also ask my opinion on all sorts of things. Also, while I would not want that many kids, I don't begrudge someone else for doing it. I have watched every single Dugger episode and I have a lot of respect for them. My favorite is her schedule. She says they may not get it all done, but at least they have a goal!
The Dugger kids seem very polite and well-behaved.
I REALLY wish they would pay a little more attention to the car seat situation, though. Even just tighten the straps a bit. Yikes.

:yeahthat:
While *I* didn't grow up with 6 kids in my family, my Mom grew up with 7, and when the last 2 arrived, twins, my mom and her older sister each "had a twin" to help take care of, and they loved it then, and it gave them a special bond that lasts to this day. I think, apart from the car seats, that they are doing a great job raising their kids, because from what I have seen on TV, they are all very well mannered, and show great respect for others. I wish the best for that family. I personally wouldn't want that many kids, Dh plan on only 2, but I also wouldn't want to display my life on Tv, so that I could be searching through forums to see that someone shudders at the very mention of my name. Ouch, keep in mind guys, they are real people, and not characters on TV. That being said, I guess they did choose to put their family on TV, and need to expect that there will be people talking about them, as they have definatley chosen a different path than most!

MsFacetious

No worries, they don't believe in using computers or TV's. So I have no idea what they would be doing on the internet.

Morganthe

:yeahthat:
.... but I also wouldn't want to display my life on Tv, so that I could be searching through forums to see that someone shudders at the very mention of my name. Ouch, keep in mind guys, they are real people, and not characters on TV. That being said, I guess they did choose to put their family on TV, and need to expect that there will be people talking about them, as they have definatley chosen a different path than most!

LOL -- I've never watched the show. In fact I didn't realize there was one until someone mentioned it here :p

I'm shuddering at the idea of going through childbirth 17 times! in how many years???? Yikes!

IMO, there's a big difference of traditionally large family of 6-8 children AND SEVENTEEN babies! That's one gi-normous family! My mind still boggles at the amount.

I came across a cousin in one of my Dustin lines in the early 1800s VT. The family is documented to consist of 21 children. Turns out, the dh had three wives. The first 2 died in childbirth each at the birth of their 9th child. I bet they were just plumb tuckered out. Wife number three only had three children. She must have figured out something to stop his libido. They had over 12 years together before he died at age 68 or so.

The amazing thing is that despite the high infant-child mortality rate of the era, all children survived to adulthood. :shrug-shoulders: Even the 2 whose mothers died at their birth.

17 children. :jaw: I'm still reeling at the thought. :jaw:

Loves2sing

True enough!!:D I guess that is just another reason why I wouldn't subject my family to that, cause I know I would find what was being said about me, although I do have a tough enough skin, that I would probably just laugh about it all, cause I am confident in my parenting. Well, as confident as I can be! lol

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I believe that they at least have computers. They researched their home on the computer, they have a family website and dad does something in real estate.

I really can't say much....after all I've gone through just to have ONE....what I wouldn't give for that kind of fertility.

My dad was the oldest of 10...my grandmother gave birth to 10 children in 12 years, all singleton births and all lived into adulthood.

Susan

lovinwaves

Aw, how sweet! May God continue to bless their incredibly wonderful family!

I wish I could be half the mom she is. She is an amazing woman, mother, and wife!

vonfirmath

I know. Every time I read about them I just want to pray God's blessings. Growing up, I always wanted a dozen kids. It doesn't look like we will make it there :( But I just love seeing a family that treats children as the blessings God intends them to be.

scatterbunny

I agree.

I actually love watching the shows except for the bad carseats. I think it works well for her family, and that's what matters. I wish it worked for mine! I can barely keep control of my household as it is.

Splash

I think at some point you have to stop toting the party line and start thinking about the children. Those kids might be happy, much in the same way that physically abused kids are happy or kids with no running water are happy. It's all they know, so they have no choice but to be happy. But starting in grade school (age, at least) to raise other kids is wrong. It's one thing if it just happens that way (parent dies, two families merge, et cetera) but to PLAN to have your children raise your children is cruel. There is a difference between a large family and a baby mill. She's not rearing children, she's producing them and handing them off to someone else to mother. She forces her kids to do the laundry, cook, put away the groceries, raise the younger kids, change diapers, get up with their siblings in the middle of the night, and all sorts of things children shouldn't be expected to do. Chores are one thing, but making a CHILD completely run a household while you sit back and make more employees is sick.

I've no doubt that she loves her CHILDREN, as a whole. But I wonder if she loves Jana, or Jessa, or Jinger (well, obviously not her, with that name), or Josiah. Does she love each individual child, or does she see them as a collective, in her race to get the church award for most used uterus?

I think this woman is having kids for show. She's not a parent, she's a collector. Some people collect trinkets, some collect coins, some collect cats. She collects kids.

And dude, cloth diapers. I mean, since she doesn't do any of her own laundry and forces her older daughters to do it all, you think she could throw some cloth diapers in there. Think of all the money they would have saved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC