Need seating position advice

Kelllilee

okay, so through a series of unfortunate events we are down to one car. It was our spare car for Jake to drive to and from work, and wasn't picked with the intention of putting carseats in it, but now we have no choice. It's an old chevy Blazer

Basically we have 3 spots for carseats. 1- front passenger seat (no airbags), 2 and 3 - back bench seat. No shoulder straps, no headrests, but there is a spot to attach an anchor strap. (only one spot for an adult, sucky)

we have 2 forward facing children in Radians and one rearfacing in a cocorro. Only 2 doors, so you have to fold forward the front seat to get into the back.

What would be the best seating positions? Right now I installed them with the 2 radians in the back and the cocorro in the front, since I figure the safest carseat is the rearfacing one. Is that the best option? Or would it be better to put Courtney in a booster (which I think she would be okay with - she's 5y7m 42ish lbs) or the radian in the front seat? The front seatbelt fits a little funky with the cocorro and I'm not totally happy with the install. It would probably install better in the back... The front seatbelt is weird and I'm not sure I could satisfactorily install the radian either. The lap portion and the shoulder portion lock independently of each other and I can't get the shoulder part to lock on it's own (only locks when you pull hard and fast)

ADS

PurpleLucy

That's a tough one. I'm not a tech, so please don't rely on my response. But IMO, if there's no airbag at all in the front passenger seat, then the RF baby should go there. I may be wrong though. I've always heard most protected child in least safe position.

Kelllilee

That's a tough one. I'm not a tech, so please don't rely on my response. But IMO, if there's no airbag at all in the front passenger seat, then the RF baby should go there. I may be wrong though. I've always heard most protected child in least safe position.

That was my thought too, which is why I put her seat there. But I'm thinking maybe a booster would be better there because of the install issues

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You don't have a center seat in the back? As I recall, Blazers sat five, not four, so you should have a center seatbelt. I'd put the Coccoro there, and the kids on either side.

If you have an 01-03 and your manual says not to put a seat there, Chevy has rescinded that, and so you can use your rear middle.

Wendy

Kelllilee

You don't have a center seat in the back? As I recall, Blazers sat five, not four, so you should have a center seatbelt. I'd put the Coccoro there, and the kids on either side.

If you have an 01-03 and your manual says not to put a seat there, Chevy has rescinded that, and so you can use your rear middle.

Wendy

There are only 2 seatbelts in the back seat. This is an 86 model - really old

Kat_Momof3

with no airbag in front, definitely rearfacing baby in front... without airbags, I'd view it more as comparing a 2nd row to a third row... but with the back row being a little safer because of being further from the most common impact side in this case, as well as being further from the windshield and all that.

I would see about retrofitting tether anchors, but the good news is that the Radian (SK releases their testing info and results) score REALLY REALLY well without the tether... they designed it to do so.... so I wouldn't spend tons of money doing it if they have to drill.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Is it the s10 or full size? The s10 is only a 4 seater. The full size is a 5 seater. We have owned a few of these over the years. My first car was a 1975 full size blazer.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Kelllilee

with no airbag in front, definitely rearfacing baby in front... without airbags, I'd view it more as comparing a 2nd row to a third row... but with the back row being a little safer because of being further from the most common impact side in this case, as well as being further from the windshield and all that.

I would see about retrofitting tether anchors, but the good news is that the Radian (SK releases their testing info and results) score REALLY REALLY well without the tether... they designed it to do so.... so I wouldn't spend tons of money doing it if they have to drill.

there is one rear anchor spot, so I have one of the radians tethered. I couldn't find any information in the manual, so I'm assuming I can only hook one tether to it. I'm not 100% sure it's intended for tethering a carseat, but it's attached to the frame of the car in the floor and the latch hook fits on it

Hopefully we can get another vehicle within 3 months so this is just a temporary situation. I may call up one of my CPST buddies locally to check out the front carseat to make sure it's okay.

Is it the s10 or full size? The s10 is only a 4 seater. The full size is a 5 seater. We have owned a few of these over the years. My first car was a 1975 full size blazer.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

it's the s10, so only 4 seats

Kelllilee

interestingly, among all the BIZARRE carseat advice in the manual it does mention using carseats with tether anchors, just doesn't specifically show a picture of where to anchor it

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are either of the Radian kids small enough that they can RF? If so, I would put one of them RF in the front passenger seat, and the baby RF behind them, with the FFer behind you (or wherever the TA is.) There's no entry for an 86 in the LATCH manual, so I would verify with Chevy that you do indeed have a TA.

Kelllilee

Are either of the Radian kids small enough that they can RF? If so, I would put one of them RF in the front passenger seat, and the baby RF behind them, with the FFer behind you (or wherever the TA is.) There's no entry for an 86 in the LATCH manual, so I would verify with Chevy that you do indeed have a TA.

My middle child is borderline with being able to rearface... I'd have to check the harness position and recheck her weight. She's 3y9m and somewhere near 40lbs, I believe she's right at the second from the top harness slot

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can you take a picture of that tether anchor for us? I've seen a few retrofitted TAs in older vehicles, as have many of the other techs here, so we might be able to recognize it and maybe say "Oh gee, that does look like the hardware used by Chevy" or something along those lines. I have had vehicles come into checks where a previous owner had done the retrofit and the current owner had no idea.

If you can get a picture of the bottom of the tether anchor (underneath the vehicle) as well that would be even better. :)

momtotwogirls

you may want to check your manuals for the car seats too. Im guessing since the lap and shoulder belt lock independently of each other they have separate retractors. i know in my Frontier 85 and True fit they both state a car seat cannot be installed with those kinds of seat belts.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
you may want to check your manuals for the car seats too. Im guessing since the lap and shoulder belt lock independently of each other they have separate retractors. i know in my Frontier 85 and True fit they both state a car seat cannot be installed with those kinds of seat belts.

That's a good point. It sounds like her front seat belt is similar to the one in my Astro, though. On mine, the lap-belt locks for carseats (switchable), but the shoulder belt only locks for crashes (ELR-only). The vehicle manual for my Astro does allow for front-seat installs, which is why the lap-belt locks.

I know we've discussed this problem on the board before, and it's one of those hands-in-the-air-no-one's-really-sure problems. It seems like carseat manufacturers tend to have an across-the-board ban on these types of seat belts, because so many of them were either attached to the door instead of the vehicle frame, or didn't have locking seatbelts, or both, and it's too complicated for them to include the "well, except in these rare cases, it's okay" instructions when most of these vehicles aren't being driven anymore anyway.

Chameleon

interestingly, among all the BIZARRE carseat advice in the manual it does mention using carseats with tether anchors, just doesn't specifically show a picture of where to anchor it

This is probably because some carseats back in those years DID have tethers. I remember specifically the Strollee that I rode in as a child had a tether and was used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC