What to do about my seat?

tl01

I posted earlier about my friend who has my radian XT in her car for picking up DS1. The seat is trashed... It has dog hair all over it, has ice cream all over the harness bc she puts her kids in it and lets them eat in it, her son drew all over it with a ball point pen, and yesterday her DD peed in the seat. I have her radian SL. It is in perfect condition. She joking said yesterday that I just might want to keep that seat instead. What would you do? I bought the XT for the wings which her SL doesn't have. In fact I sold a radian 65 to buy the XT. Should I just keep the SL? I don't value the SL bc I don't trust the super LATCH at this point. If I keep the XT I'd at least replace the harness and the memory foam under the seat.

ADS

turtlemama

I would be a bit upset at her trashing my seat. I don't know how big a deal that is to you, but if it were me I would have a talk with her about that.
Can the cover be washed? I suppose replacing the harness and foam and cover(if it's beyond washing) would be cheaper than getting a whole new seat.

tl01

So weird... I thought I just responded but now it is gone.

I was saying that I had written off the seat when I put it in her car. I guess I could replace the parts instead. I just saw the harness is only $7.99 which isn't a big deal. I'm wondering if I can get the memory foam though. I'm not sure how to thoroughly wash it. I don't think I'd worry about the cover right now. I think I'd just wash this one really well and forget about the pen marks. Pen marks won't make it unsafe. I just won't put DS1 in a seat that is too gross for me to sit in.

christineka

I think I'd just accept the nice seat. You could sell it, then buy a new xt. Sure, it'll be more, but you'll have to spend more money fixing up your own seat and it'll still be visibly "used". No matter how much you wash the cover it isn't going to get all the way clean. (This is why I only let people who have super clean cars and car seats borrow my car seats. That's been one person so far.)

tl01

I think I'd just accept the nice seat. You could sell it, then buy a new xt. Sure, it'll be more, but you'll have to spend more money fixing up your own seat and it'll still be visibly "used". No matter how much you wash the cover it isn't going to get all the way clean. (This is why I only let people who have super clean cars and car seats borrow my car seats. That's been one person so far.)

Well, to be fair to her, I wasn't letting her borrow the seat so much as we each put a seat in the other's car for carpooling. I wanted DS1 to the the XT headrests so we didn't just use our own seats in the our own cars. She didn't want to buy an XT seat. Now, I don't know why she then thought it was okay to destroy it by letting her kids ride in it all the time... it isn't even adjusted for them. The whole eating in it and drawing on it seems a little silly but what's done is done I guess...

PurpleLucy

I'd be super peeved with her!

But since you can't change the circumstance, I like the suggestion of selling her SL and getting an XT. You'll be out a little money, but at least you'd have a "new" seat vs. a trashed one.

njkj

I think what ever you do she should help pay for it. Wether she buys the replacement parts or she gives you the differance in the cost of a SL vs. a XT. She ruined your seat she should pay for it :twocents:.

Eta: sorry if there is a bunch of mis-spelled words, my spell checker is not working.

NannyMom

I'd keep her seat. I thought about just suggesting getting a new harness and switching the memory foam for the clean one in the SL. But then I started thinking, if they've been messily eating in it, who knows where else there is ice cream and stuff :eek: All down inside the seat? have moving parts no become sticky? And is there pee down inside the crevasses of the seat too? Keep hers, and sell for an XT.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I guess keep hers, but -- does this mean your son is riding around in a nasty, food-coated, peed in seat every day? :(

tl01

I guess keep hers, but -- does this mean your son is riding around in a nasty, food-coated, peed in seat every day? :(

Nope... he hasn't been in the seat in months. Really I have it in her car in case of an emergency and I can't get back to pick up DS1. I pick up her child much more often... probably once every other week. He hasn't been in it since before Christmas. I've been trying to get other there to adjust the harness since DS1 has grown and we haven't been trying very hard b/c I haven't needed her to pick him up. Then she took her DD's regular seat out and put it in her MIL's car and was using this seat for her DD b/c she didn't have another seat for her so I couldn't even use it if I wanted. ARG!

tl01

I'd keep her seat. I thought about just suggesting getting a new harness and switching the memory foam for the clean one in the SL. But then I started thinking, if they've been messily eating in it, who knows where else there is ice cream and stuff :eek: All down inside the seat? have moving parts no become sticky? And is there pee down inside the crevasses of the seat too? Keep hers, and sell for an XT.

She is going to wash the cover for me which is good since I don't want to touch the pee covered cover. I'll have to put it all back together for her afterward. After that, I think I should check the seat and see if it is gross underneath. If it is, then I guess I will just keep her seat and sell it. You all might just see it appear in swap soon;).

solmama

The memory foam can be purchased/shipped from SK. I called to get some for our seat (an older Radian65), and they sent me some free of charge. So I know you can at least get replacement memory foam.

lovemybabies924

i would check out your seat, but have her pay for any replacement parts it needs if u want to keep it..but if u dont have her pay u the difference so u can sell and get a new one..and never put it in her car again!

tl01

lovemybabies924 said:
i would check out your seat, but have her pay for any replacement parts it needs if u want to keep it..but if u dont have her pay u the difference so u can sell and get a new one..and never put it in her car again!

If she wasn't a friend, I would charge for the parts or the price difference but I don't want to create another issue. I'm going to evaluate the seat and then I'll decide to piece my XT together or just sell hers. No other seat would have fit in her middle seat so even knowing what I know now, I'd still put my seat in her car.

emandbri

That bites! You can wash the memory foam, I had to after Elizabeth peed in her radian. I soaked it in water and used hand soap. It did take a long time to dry but it is fine to use the seat without it.

babyherder

I'm going to disagree with everyone else a little. Yes, it sucks that she got your seat gross and dirty. And she shouldn't have. However, I remember another thread that you posted about how she let you install the seat and harnessed your ds correctly. Plus she leaves the seat installed in her car even when your ds doesn't ride in it often. A friend like that is worth having for emergency pick ups. I'd do whatever works within your friendship. If she wants her seat back, give it to her. If she's happy keeping yours and you're ok with that then do it. But I would save making a huge deal of out safety things, not seat cleanliness things. I'd just make sure it doesn't happen again by not putting an expensive seat in her car again.

tl01

babyherder said:
I'm going to disagree with everyone else a little. Yes, it sucks that she got your seat gross and dirty. And she shouldn't have. However, I remember another thread that you posted about how she let you install the seat and harnessed your ds correctly. Plus she leaves the seat installed in her car even when your ds doesn't ride in it often. A friend like that is worth having for emergency pick ups. I'd do whatever works within your friendship. If she wants her seat back, give it to her. If she's happy keeping yours and you're ok with that then do it. But I would save making a huge deal of out safety things, not seat cleanliness things. I'd just make sure it doesn't happen again by not putting an expensive seat in her car again.

This is true... And for that reason I'm not going to make her feel guilty or make her pay: though, I have done 4 times more pick ups of her kid then she did of mine. I'm not going to make it an issue, I am just trying to decide if i should piece together my gross seat or keep hers. She offered hers so I think I am entitled to choose it if I want. I also keep her seat in my car all the time more ready than mine has been for me. I've needed my seat lately and she's using it for her kid.

I agree though that having someone who can pick up DS1 in an emergency is a valuable asset plus she is my friend. Certainly though, I have treated her stuff much better than she treated mine. To me it is a bit disrespectful to treat someone's stuff that way.

babyherder

I agree though that having someone who can pick up DS1 in an emergency is a valuable asset plus she is my friend. Certainly though, I have treated her stuff much better than she treated mine. To me it is a bit disrespectful to treat someone's stuff that way.

I agree that its not very respectful to treat anyone's stuff that way (including your own). I tend to treat other people's stuff better than my own because I don't know how picky that are about it (and they have the right to be as picky as they want). I hope you find a solution you are happy with.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC