Which is a safer installation?

sage

My vehicle has latch available only on the two outboard seats, not the middle.

I would like to keep my son in the middle because it feels safer to me.

Is it a safer installation to use latch vs. the seatbelt?

Is it truly safer for the child to be in the middle vs. outboard?

***and this may be a silly question, but please don't flame me. At least I am here asking questions rather than just doing it, right? ;)

Can I install in the middle by using one latch point from each outboard seat? Sounds like an obvious no, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thank you!!

ADS

oxeye

If you can get a solid install in the center with the seatbelt, that's the best spot. LATCH is not any safer than a seatbelt install provided they are both done properly. It's supposed to be easier to install with LATCH so for the general person who doesn't know what they are doing it might be safer, but provided they are both done correctly, one is not safer than the other.

It depends on the make of your car and the car seat you are using, but probably 99% of the time you can't use LATCH in the center by borrowing a hook from each outboard side.

I don't know of any statistics saying that center is definitely safer than outboard. Just using my instinct, I'd say it is just because it's never going to be right next to a point of impact. Hopefully some one else knows of a study.

All that said, if you can't get a good install in the center with the seatbelt and can get a better install outboard with LATCH - that is fine too. I'd rather have my child outboard with a solid install than center with a so-so install.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Assuming you can get a good installation, the middle is safer. However, if the seat will not fit properly (rare, but it does happen), a good installation outboard is better than a poor installation in the center. Please note that LATCH is supposed to be *easier* to use, but it is not *safer*. It's also not always easier. ;)

Can you install a seat in the center using the outboard LATCH connectors? Rarely. Check your vehicle manual first. If you post the make & model of your vehicle, we can give you any information we have as well.

TheRealMacGyver

I am going to go out on a limb here, but why is it that you can't borrow the inside of outboard LATCH hooks for the center location? I'm guessing this response is going to "because the manual says you can't". But if it's strong enough to support a seat outboard, why wouldn't it support one center? I mean I'm all for following manuals, but this one just bothers me. My Prius says I can't (I think-have to check again) and I'm thinking I'm going to ignore that advise. It just goes in much better and easier with LATCH. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

That's not the only reason. Generally speaking, when it's not allowed by the manufacturer, there are also other issues. For example, the hooks are too close or too far apart, or the seat is split.

southpawboston

I am going to go out on a limb here, but why is it that you can't borrow the inside of outboard LATCH hooks for the center location? I'm guessing this response is going to "because the manual says you can't". But if it's strong enough to support a seat outboard, why wouldn't it support one center? I mean I'm all for following manuals, but this one just bothers me. My Prius says I can't (I think-have to check again) and I'm thinking I'm going to ignore that advise. It just goes in much better and easier with LATCH. Just my :twocents:

it has to two with two issues:

1) the spacing between the two center-most outboard anchors may not be within specification (i forgot the allowable range... 11-17"???)

2) the support structure behind the anchors may not be designed for the type of use in question. usually each set of anchors has a dedicated support bar behind them (behind the sheet metal). some mfrs deem the type of use in question to be acceptable, others not.

ETA:

on a side note, when we had our first seatcheck, the tech wrongfully allowed us to LATCH our triumph 5 this way, which was NOT allowed by our car manufacturer... we never knew better or to even question him (after all, HE was the tech, not i), and i only learned he was wrong after learning it from this forum, over a year after the fact!!! :mad:

sage

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

It's a 2003 Ford Explorer. My manual only identifies where the latch points are located on a diagram, it doesn't say yay or nay on whether you can use them in the middle. Pretty useless to me.

Here are the excerpts from the manual (the underlining is mine):

Attaching safety seats with LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for
Children) attachments for child seat anchors

Some child safety seats have two rigid or webbing mounted attachments
that connect to two anchors at certain seating positions in your vehicle.
This type of child seat eliminates the need to use seat belts to attach the
child seat. For forward-facing child seats, the tether strap must also be
attached to the proper tether anchor.
See Attaching safety seats with
tether straps in this chapter.

It doesn't say anything about rear-facing, so I am only assuming that it is the same.

I cannot copy the diagram here, but if you want to see it and everything else that the manual says re: latch installation, look on pg. 135 on this link to the manual.

http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/explorer_owners_manual_2003.pdf

TheRealMacGyver

Okay, spacing I can agree with, if it is too far apart it may not support the load properly. As for the structural strength, I wonder if they are meaning that if you have an outboard LATChed then another (center) should not be latched to the same point (which again makes perfect sense). So, if the spacing is within specifications and there is nothing outboard using latch, just the center seat, then there really should be no other issues-right?

southpawboston

even if you have only one carseat installed, there are structural issues to consider. i believe that the LATCH pairs are supposed to be reinforced by a structural bar behind the sheet metal. i believe that one seat is supposed to be supported by one contiguous bar, via the LATCH anchor on each end of said bar. by attaching the carseat to the center position, using one LATCH anchor from each side, the carseat is not utilizing one dedicated reinforcement bar.

this is how it looks:

o__________o o__________o

some vehicles that allow center latch have this:

o__________o_______o__________o

or this (one extra center anchor to be used with one outboard anchor):

o__________o______o o__________o

or this (three dedicated pairs):

o__________o o______o o__________o

Jeanum

Staff member
Ford allows outboard LATCH anchors to be borrowed for center installations in certain Ford vehicle models if the carseat manufacturer also permits it. I don't believe the Explorer is one of models where borrowing the outboard lower anchors is permitted, unfortunately.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
after looking at your manual, it is clear that latch can only be used in the outboard postions. i would not trump this...and go by what the manual is saying. also, a seatbelt is just safe as using latch. and in some cases its easier as well. btw, lower anchors have limits as well, typically 48 lbs. how big is you child?

sage

Thanks! When I get my new Marathon I will try a center install with the seatbelt, but if that isn't snug enough we'll go outboard with the latch.

My son is only 6 mos old, so we have quite awhile before we reach the anchor limits. But that's good to know for the future. I didn't know they had limits.

I appreciate all your help!

UlrikeDG

Don't forget to have your installation checked by a tech. They learn some nifty little tricks that they can teach you that may allow you to get a good fit in the center, even if it doesn't seem possible at first.

twokidstwodogs

Also, don't worry too much if you can't get a good installation in the center. You should put the seat where you can get the best installation, whether it's outboard or center, LATCH or seatbelt. My understanding is that statistically speaking, the center really isn't much safer, if at all. It's true that being outboard is worse than center when there's an impact on that side of the vehicle, but it's *better* to be outboard than center when the impact is on the other side of the vehicle. So it's a toss-up.

TheRealMacGyver

I didn't see this mentioned and I could be wrong on this, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that if going outboard the passenger side is a better choice than drivers side statistically. As I said, I could be wrong (I've been wrong before ;) ) so maybe someone else can chime in.

southpawboston

I didn't see this mentioned and I could be wrong on this, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe here) that if going outboard the passenger side is a better choice than drivers side statistically. As I said, I could be wrong (I've been wrong before ;) ) so maybe someone else can chime in.

you may have gotten that from me :)

it may not be statistically significant, but as an urban dweller who street parks on the right side of the street, then for *me* it is safer to have the carseat on the passenger side, strictly for ingress/egress purposes. for me it is safer to get DD1 in and out from the sidewalk side rather than from the traffic side. of course, in a parking lot this does not apply, nor does it apply if you street park on either side of the street (like on a one-way street, for example).

skaterbabs

There is no statistical difference from a safety standpoint between driver vs passenger side, so it comes down to parental preference.

southpawboston

There is no statistical difference from a safety standpoint between driver vs passenger side, so it comes down to parental preference.

right, in terms of crash statistics, there's probably no difference, but depending on how/where you park, there *can* be a parked vehicle safety advantage as i mentioned above. you know the saying, "never open your door into oncoming traffic..." would you rather have a darting toddler get in and out of the side of the car facing oncoming traffic, or the sidewalk?

TheRealMacGyver

right, in terms of crash statistics, there's probably no difference, but depending on how/where you park, there *can* be a parked vehicle safety advantage as i mentioned above. you know the saying, "never open your door into oncoming traffic..." would you rather have a darting toddler get in and out of the side of the car facing oncoming traffic, or the sidewalk?

Seems like a good reason to go on passenger side to me. I guess that was the reason from where I had read it from originally.

UlrikeDG

Absolutely right, southpawboston. When I only had two kids, we lived on a one-way street and parked with the driver's side up against the curb, so it was safer to have the outboard seat behind the driver for loading and unloading purposes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC