Got the Boulevard, kicking myself now

CarrieL

Hi guys! I'm not new to car seat safety... I've been reading this forum for years to get all the best advice (thanks, it's been great!!). My son stayed rear-facing until his 3rd birthday, and then we moved to a Britax Frontier.

Last year, around his fourth birthday, I needed a second car seat. The Frontier fit well in my husband's car, but not mine. Because the Britax Boulevard was advertised to be good until 49 inches and 65 pounds, and had an easier install, I went for it!

A year later we are nearing his fifth birthday, my boy is 40 inches tall and 39 pounds ... and he has maxed out the shoulder height in his Boulevard. :doh:

What do I do now? Any recommendations? I really wanted to keep him harnessed for another year or two. I drive an '04 Subaru Outback, his Frontier does not install easily in my car (only my husband can manage to muscle it in) and I can't afford another $250+ car seat.

I'm afraid to go check the strap height on his Frontier, too. I bet he's getting close to the limit with this long torso of his. :crying:

ADS

CarrieL

What is his torso height?

I just measured, and it appears to be about 16.5 inches.

Thanks! Keep the recommendations coming; I love options. :) My fingers are crossed that I can find something that will work with our budget and keep him harnessed.

Pixels

At that weight and with that torso, your choices are Maestro, Nautilus, ProSport, or Frontier; or another convertible.

henrietta

Hi guys! I'm not new to car seat safety... I've been reading this forum for years to get all the best advice (thanks, it's been great!!). My son stayed rear-facing until his 3rd birthday, and then we moved to a Britax Frontier.

Last year, around his fourth birthday, I needed a second car seat. The Frontier fit well in my husband's car, but not mine. Because the Britax Boulevard was advertised to be good until 49 inches and 65 pounds, and had an easier install, I went for it!

A year later we are nearing his fifth birthday, my boy is 40 inches tall and 39 pounds ... and he has maxed out the shoulder height in his Boulevard. :doh:

What do I do now? Any recommendations? I really wanted to keep him harnessed for another year or two. I drive an '04 Subaru Outback, his Frontier does not install easily in my car (only my husband can manage to muscle it in) and I can't afford another $250+ car seat.

I'm afraid to go check the strap height on his Frontier, too. I bet he's getting close to the limit with this long torso of his. :crying:

Okay, even w/a long torso, at only 40" tall and just now outgrowing the harness height on the BLVD, he's nowhere near outgrowing the Frontier's harness. It's 3 inches taller than the BLVD.

Since he's almost 5, almost 40 lbs, and just now outgrowing the BLDV, any of the other combo seats will probably get him to a safe booster seat age. I would try him out in the Evenflo Maestro for $80, and then when he outgrows that get him a Britax Parkway, Recaro booster, or Sunshine Kids Monterey. Or you could check out the Graco Nautilus. The harness height is a half inch taller than the Maestro, but double the price, and it doesn't always make a very good booster--just depends on the child and the vehicle.

FWIW, my 2.5 yr old has less than an inch in the BLVD's harness, and he's only 36" tall! So, we know all about long torsos! LOL My 5.5 yr old's torso isn't too much taller than my 2.5 yr olds, and he's using the third slot of the Regent (but just over the second). The BLVD has the shortest top harness "slots" of the Britax 65 seats, a good half to one inch shorter than the Marathon.

hths

henrietta

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is it a Frontier, or Frontier 85? The Frontier has 18.25" top slots, the 85 has 20" top slots. So you're good there.

If you have no other children you could sell the Boulevard to fund a new seat.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC