Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

after market car seat cover?

Hi everyone! I just purchased an EFT65 but I'm not a fan of the Oh Pattern. I found some really cute car seat covers but I'm wondering if you can tell me if it will compromise the car seat's safety or not. Here's the link.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69086513...eversable-fits

Thanks for all your help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician eyeslkethesky5391's Avatar

Re: after market car seat cover?

Quote Originally Posted by STfizz73 View Post
    Hi everyone! I just purchased an EFT65 but I'm not a fan of the Oh Pattern. I found some really cute car seat covers but I'm wondering if you can tell me if it will compromise the car seat's safety or not. Here's the link.

There isn't any aftermarket covers that are safe to use. They void the warranty of your carseat...aren't tested with the carseat and don't meet the standards for flame retardants material

but I am sure that on our swap board there might be somebody selling their seat covers

Seats are not crash tested with these items therefor we don't know how they would perform. As a rule you shouldn't use anything with the car seat that it didn't come with or put anything between the baby and seat besides clothes(expect coats!).

I am sure some CPS's may have a better answer but that is my .
    DD 7 (55", 72 lbs) Boostered, Cowmoo and Onyx FR
    DS 3 (36 lbs) FF ProRide

CPS Technician eyeslkethesky5391's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STfizz73 View Post

There isn't any aftermarket covers that are safe to use. They void the warranty of your carseat...aren't tested with the carseat and don't meet the standards for flame retardants material

Aftermarket covers are not safe. As said, they do not have the same fire-retardant properties as the covers that come with the seat, in case of car fire.
    Another thing to consider is that when covers are made by hand and do not conform to seat like the ones made by the manufacturer, it's entirely possible that the slots in the aftermarket cover will not line up with the slots in the seat shell, interfering with the function of the harness.
    And beyond that, of course, they haven't been crash-tested and could cause the seat to malfunction in ways we may not even think of.
    The general consensus: Aftermarket covers (And all aftermarket products) are to be avoided. If it didn't come with the seat, don't use it!

Thank you for your help everyone! Maybe this won't be an issue since I might take back this EFT65 because I just read the thread about the crotch strap fraying. Maybe I'll go with a MyRide 65...

I wouldn't return a seat because 2 person had a problem with theirs. Who knows, a mouse may have done that... (not saying it did but anything is possible). 1 out of thousands sold would not scare me. 100 out of 1000 yes, but no.

You can get different evenflo covers