Cosco Scenera 40RF &/or other suggestions for Grandma's car

TulipMom

We're looking for a convertible for Grandma's SUV. DS is 6 months and at the 95% for height/weight, so we want all of our seats to have high RF limits. I am a big lurker of the carseat blog and this forum, so I was convinced the Scenera 40RF would be the right option for us. I found one at our Target, but the seat just felt so hard and uncomfortable. I mean, it felt like it had no padding at all.

For those of you who have used this seat, have you been happy with it? Spending a little more isn't a big issue, but of course it's a bonus if we can get a good seat for less. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Links to other discussions/reviews are also appreciated. I saw one previous discussion from this summer about the seat coming out, but didn't see much about the padding.

Thanks!!!

ADS

Ninetales

I have one as a backup for my mom's truck. It works fine for us. I wouldn't want it for every day because it is a little sparse, but if I had to I could. But for the occasional trip with grandma it's just fine.

turtlemama

Kids really don't care so much about padding. I think that is more for us, we don't want our babies uncomfortable. I had a Scenera for my first 3 kids and not one complained about the padding. They really didn't notice or care much. I couldn't even afford the Scenera at the time and had to get it from the Health Dept, so I didn't even know plushier seats existed!
I can't recall how tall the top slots on the 40RF are, but my 36lb 38in DS (he just turned 4) only had a small amount of room above his head RF, probably less than an inch. He is on the short side though, I don't know how well it would do for a taller child. I have read that it usually will get them to at least 2, if not 3.
For other consideration, the Complete Air 65 is a very tall seat that RF to 40 lbs. My 47 in 43 lb 6 year old appears to fit RF still, but she has outgrown it by weight. She is on the second to top slot FF. My 4 year old fits at the second slot RF and would still be RF in it if he hadn't started complaining of his back hurting.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've always used Sceneras as back-up/spare seats for multiple kids of various ages/sizes. I'd say about half the kids do make a big deal about comfort, more so during longer trips. Especially if they show any signs of having sensory issues. That said, being prepared with their favorite music & soft toy/blanky/cloth book, etc. can often help ease their fussiness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC