Question Should I let DS ride a school bus on the highway?

hrice

My 3rd grader has a field trip next week. It is bus transportation on the highway 15 miles each way. I got permission to drive him to and from because I am leery of him on a bus on the highway.

Am I being a freak?

ADS

StPaulMom

Statically, your child is LESS safe in your car than in the bus. Let him take the bus. Plus, riding the bus with classmates to field trips is part of the experience and not one that I think is worth taking away.

hrice

Statically, your child is LESS safe in your car than in the bus. Let him take the bus. Plus, riding the bus with classmates to field trips is part of the experience and not one that I think is worth taking away.

I thought I had read that here before buty wanted to be extra sure. Thank you. Ugh...it's hard letting go:(

StPaulMom

I know, it really is hard :( For the first few field trips my daughter went on, I volunteered to be a chaperon because I wanted to make sure she sat correctly on the bus :whistle:

hrice

I know, it really is hard :( For the first few field trips my daughter went on, I volunteered to be a chaperon because I wanted to make sure she sat correctly on the bus :whistle:

He rides the school bus to school but it is a 3 minute drive max. They won't let me on the bus because there isn't enough room and the facility they are going to doesn't have space for parents either. I asked about chaperoning and the teacher said that only teachers and students are going :confused:
I thought there were always chaperones on field trips.

Meg

Statically, your child is LESS safe in your car than in the bus.

Do you have a link with that info? I need to talk myself into letting my son take the bus next year.:rolleyes: I've seen some bad bus accidents locally and would love reassurance.

Evolily

A rides the bus on the expressway daily to and from school :) . Like other said, it is very safe. Actually, I believe freeways/expressways are actually statistically safer than other forms of travel, due to the lack of intersections and the fact the traffic is all moving in the same direction.

I don't have a link ATM, but there was a study that showed (paraphrasing here) 800 children had died traveling to and from school in family vehicles in one year. In that same year something like 12 or 14 people died on school buses, I believe 8 or so of those deaths were children.

hrice

Thank you for the reassurance! I feel so much better now. And DS will be happy to ride with his classmates!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC