infant carrier

N

newmom

I am having trouble choosing an infant carrier. I am not very strong and all the carriers seem so heavy...without a baby in them! I am afraid I will not be able to lift or carry the thing once a baby is in it. Do you recommend a certain brand or another option over the infant carrier?

Appreciate anyone's input!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I leave the car seat in the car and use a sling most of the time. Some seats are heavier than others, but I think even the lighter ones are awkward to carry, so I prefer not to.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

A sling is a much better option, it's just more comfortable for mom AND baby.

A great carseat is the Graco Snugride or the Safeseat, either with a 5 point harness and a front adjustor (the pull strap between the legs, to loosen or tighten the harness). The Snugride goes to 22 lbs, the Safeseat to 30, both can be installed with or without the base, but you don't have to use it as a carrier, you can just keep it installed all the time.

mommycat

Also wanted to chime in to say that mommy-hood will build some musle in no time, carrier or no carrier. :lol: Lots of lugging involved... baby (then toddler), diaper bags, lifting strollers in and out of cars.... Har!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, motherhood is a terrific upper body exercise (think of it as weight bearing that will prevent osteoporosis...)
The Combi Connection is super light and very easy to carry, though :)

newmom

Thanks for the input. I had the same thought-to use a sling but other mothers have been telling me I need the infant carrier for when I go to the grocery store or out to eat. I figure I want the baby right next to me while I shop in the grocery store but what do you do when you go to a restaurant?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I kept the baby in the sling for a couple months when we went out...it's at 4 months they start reaching all over to knock your drink over, lol... I think dh and I just passed our first kid back and forth and learned to eat meals that didn't require knives from about 3-7 months, then we started putting him in the highchair. With my subsequent babies we had the infant seat and used it a LOT for dining out... my 15 mo will still nap through a meal out, which is fine by me :D

mommycat

I really enjoyed having the carrier, but I can imagine finding ways to get things done without it. I did like it for the fact that eating out I didn't have to worry about dropping my food on baby's head, and for the times when baby was sleeping you don't have to disturb them to get them out of the seat, and some kids will wake up. And grocery shopping would be easier on the back without the carrier. But you really don't need one. If you are going out to eat you can bring a small bouncy seat or something, most stores have shopping carts with baby seats (bring a blanket to cover it though, ick!) and a lot of kids do sleep through being transferred from the car. Mine still does sometimes at 2-1/4 years.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My babies wouldn't stay happy in an infant carrier long enough for us to eat at a restaurant anyway. If I went out to eat, I'd hold the baby while eating the least messy thing on my plate and then I'd pass him/her over to hubby for a turn. Heck, most of the time, if we went out to eat, it was with family who were beside themselves about the opportunity to hold The Baby. ;)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I too used the sling a lot, and we didn't eat out much after the first few months. I don't like to take older babies & young toddlers to restaurants, they get bored & noisy. We start going to restaurants again around 2.5-3 years old when my kids can use manners and sit nicely.

ThreeBeans

Thanks for the input. I had the same thought-to use a sling but other mothers have been telling me I need the infant carrier for when I go to the grocery store or out to eat. I figure I want the baby right next to me while I shop in the grocery store but what do you do when you go to a restaurant?

You don't ;)

I mean, you don't need a carrier with you. You put the baby in a sling in front of you and eat that way :)

skipspin

Or, you *could* get a snap and go type stroller frame for the few times you really want the infant seat, but can't carry it. (Check Craigslist or look for one locally on ebay. I got one for $6 that's like new.) I don't like to leave DS in the infant seat long and I LOVE my sling, but every once in a while i really want him in his seat. Most of the time he's in the sling or laying in a fully reclined stroller.

Just another thought...

Last edited:

southpawboston

it all depends. there were times that DW had our infants in a sling, but there were other times that we *really* enjoyed having the carrier, especially on cold windy wintery days. plus we already had a toddler to deal with once it came time to use the carrier with infant #2. being able to just pull the carrier out of the car and into the house (or store) was a real convenience. there were other times, though, that we didn't bother to use the carrier as a shuttle.

it all depends on you AND your infant... some love the carriers, others can't stand them. you don't really NEED it, but that's not to say it may not work great for you.

skaterbabs

I honestly could not have survived DD's babyhood without the carrier and travel system. Then again, the car seat was the only place she would ever sleep alone, and we were (are) always on the go, to cub scouts, tball, PTA, ect.

littleangelfire

I'd go with a sling most of the time, too. Most babies will love to be in it right up to the time they're walking. IT makes grocery shopping much easier, as well as almost anywhere else I went. My son wouldn't stay sitting in his seat at a restaurant past about 2 months, so it was just another bulky thing to carry in and not use! I'd hold him in my lap and eat. I'm not a big fan of all the differnt pieces of furniture they've come up with to 'stick' babies in all the time. They should be held. The carrier isn't an evil device, though. :) When it's cold out, or even just because little tiny babies don't always fit so well in strollers, but will fit in an infant seat on top of one. You could buy an inexpensive travel system, and just not always carry the carrier. Just b/c the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, but it is nice to have for occasions when it makes things convenient.

newmom

thanks everyone for their posts. This helps my husband and I a lot. And, I will be reading the advice you give on the other posts! Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC