Am I stupid to put my 4 year old in his Radian on the flight?

Kaykella808

Hi all...
Am thinking to myself... kinda wondering. I bought this Radian80SL for the upcoming trip I am taking with my 4 year old son. He is about 43lbs, and 42" tall. I am traveling alone in April with him from Hawaii to LA. it's about a 6 hour flight. EARLY in the morning, so my plan was to bring a comfortable seat for him to SLEEP in... So when we arrive at LAX he will be a little more rested. I had the GOGO kids travelmate that I will use to wheel the HEAVY Radian around with.

Im debating having him SIT in the seat on the plane, and fold the seat leaving it in the carry on storage. What is everyone's thoughts?! I think that with a little person, they are more comfortable in a seat made for them and since the tray table can still go down, he can watch his DVD, and eat just the same. I dont want him to wonder around the plane, and he still used a 5pt harness in the car, as he's not really mature enough for a booster yet. He just turned 4. Im more comfortable knowing he's safer in the 5pt seat. He actually cannot latch himself into the seat alone, either... so I think that states he's def. not mature enough for a seatbelt booster.

Also, I was just reading some replies on other threads about some flight attendants giving you "heat" for putting in a carseat. If anyone has the litterature on the protcalls for seats, im flying with Hawaiian Airlines, and I would GREATLY appreciate it, so I can make copies to bring along with me.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

Chely7425

You are not stupid for bringing it!! Installing it FF shouldnt take long at all (though I am sure someone else has more input on that front) and who cares if the flight attendants don't like it... a momentary pause for you to put in a seat is worth a happy, well rested and SAFE kid!! Good for you :)

DaniChildcare

I don't think it's stupid. You will need a seat at your destination anyways.

Someone in another thread said their 6yo didn't like the Radian on the plane because she couldn't cross her legs, and since there was no support under her legs, it bothered her.

That's something to consider too, but other than that, you need the seat anyways, so he may as well sit in it.

If he finds it uncomfortable you can always fold it up and stow it.

MomToEliEm

I think you have a good plan regarding using the seat on the plane. If he really doesn't like it after a while, just fold it and store it.

Here is an FAA document which indicates that you are allowed to use the carseat on the aircraft.
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf
Under the provisions in parts 121, 125, and 135, no certificate holder may prohibit a child from using an approved CRS when the parent/guardian purchases a ticket for the child.
Print it off and store it in your carry-on luggage just in case you run into any issues on the plane.

jubgulia

We used the Radian on a flight to Hawaii and back and the flight attendents thought it was cool! It was much better for sleeping I think because it held him upright and he could use the tray table when he was awake.

LittlePeanut

I fly with my DS's Radian frequently. Besides, it's safer for him and it protects your seat. My DS's just over 5 now, 41" and 37 lbs and he finds the XT very comfortable (even on long haul flights) and it gives him somewhere to rest his head too. It's SUPER easy to install FF. Takes just a few seconds. Honestly, most FAs have applauded me for bring the seats onboard rather than scolding me for taking the extra time or space for installation.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
He'll be much more comfy in a car seat. Also, he'll know that "car rules" apply and may complain less about staying buckled, etc.

If you're bringing it on board, there's no reason not to use it, and several I can think of to not stow it!

Dillipop

Until my kids are old enough for a booster at the other end of our trips, they fly sitting in their 5 point car seats. Both of my kids have flown with our radian, ds1 until age 5+ and ds2 this past summer at just turned 4. They are much more comfortable in their own seats than without. It reminds them that they have to stay put. With the tray table usable, it works so well and the radian is really a quick and easy install on the plane.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper used her Radian until 6.5. Granted, it wasn't until that old that the lap belt fit her (and we switched to an RSTV for travel), but now she doesn't sleep as well at all. She needs two seats so she can lay down. She used to sleep every time in her Radian if the flight was early in the day or late at night, or a very long flight.

Wendy

Kaykella808

Thanks for the reply everyone! I feel really good about him being in the seat... I have the radian and a GN. I kinda like the Radian a little better, esp. for this trip! It's a GREAT carseat. I read somewhere that it fits on the GOGO down the aisle too! We're flying in the BIG plane that has 2 aisles, so if anyone is "upset" about the wait, they can go down the other aisle. My son and I tested the radian on the GOGO the other night, and he thinks its really "fun" and "cool". lol! Im not sure why some people say they cannot cross their legs on the seat, I find that this seat is the ONLY car seat where my son can sit indian style. Another thing I LOVE about it is that he can actually get into this seat by himself, it was killing my back lifting him into our SUV. It's MUCH easier getting him in and out of! I only wish I bought this seat sooner, when he was younger to actually use it more. I have a 2009 Honda CRV that has leather interior. I had a Britax marathon in there, SOLD it, the GN, and this seat is now in the middle back seat, and fits PERFECTLY! It is amazing, as I can still have 2 adults on each side, NOT squished! I have to say THANK YOU again SO much for the mom's on here that helped gave me so much GREAT information on this seat. PS, YES it is heavy... but I think what makes it seem MORE heavy than others is the SUPER LATCH, lol! It itself it a lot of lbs! Also, I was surprised how EASY it is to fold the seat. From reading other reviews, it seemed like it was a pain, but i can do it in a matter of seconds.

Another side note OFF subject... At my son's private preschool he goes to it infuriates me as Im picking-dropping off my son seeing the other parents pulling in with seats that are either NOT installed properly, OR they're sitting in booster seats?! Some of these children are 3 years old. In a HIGH BACK BOOSTER! AGHHH! Makes me cringe when I see this! Even more so when these kids sitting in them are MUCH smaller than my big 4 year old! Even some that arent even IN a seat at all! (eek) These parents are paying over $600 for their children to go to school at a good school, but their safety isnt worth keeping them in a proper seat?! Just food for thought. Ive even thought about putting a flyer up. It kills me how many people do NOT have their kids carseats in correct car seats, and even worse, NOT properly installed! When I was pregnant with my son, I took a class to "learn" how to properly install seats... I now try to do ALL my friends seats... It's SO important! So good job to all of you spreading the word on safety for our keiki (kids).

I have a pic of Kaden in his seat below... on his way to school. We also have the side rider by sunshine kids that I purchased which works well and fits fine. I had read some pretty weary things about it, but i like it. I think he has tic tacs inside, lol! It still holds his drinks and his toys...

I plan on taking several pics of when I get the gogo installed, and some more pics of him on the plane in the seat. I think they're neat, as I looked at a dozen pics when I was considering this seat. :)

View attachment 9395

Eclipsepearl

We used the Radian on the airplane until my youngest was almost 6 years old. We needed it in California.

Instead of an expensive Gogo, I used a metal luggage cart I already owned and secured it with a bungee. Worked just as well (if not better, easier to take off and on).

This last flight, at almost 7 years old, she actually protested that we were not bringing the Radian! She wanted it in California but we weren't doing that much driving and my parents have boosters.

I thought, oh this will be SO much easier. No heavy car seat... NOT! I had to actually wear my backpack the whole time. No more chucking it in the car seat and pulling it behind me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC