Vent Weird and aggrivating visit at a local baby store

Calleiah

We were out today and we were going right past a well known Texas only baby store that has an awesome seat selection. I've been dying to get my hands on a few different items so in we went. I had my 4 year old in a Recaro Prosport when one of the employees comes up, an older guy and we start talking seats. He was going on and on about side impact stuff and how they crash test seats with child sized dummies in them :rolleyes: (and is being quite graphic) and before I realize what he's going to do, he reaches up to my 4 year old and kind of shoves her to each side to show off the side impact stuff! :eek: And while Im sitting there with my mouth open in horror, he did it to her head!:eek::mad::hitselfonhead:
She looked over at me blinking like "Uh mom, wtf?"
I intervened before he could "show" us anymore of the seats benefits, and he starts talking about Cybex, and how their "convertible" in Europe has no 5 point harness, but a shield. I tried to tell him it was a forward facing only seat, but he was adamant that its a rear facing seat, because their Cybex rep told them so. :rolleyes:
At that point, I think I said something like "Mmmmmkay, nice talking to you!" and we hauled butt out of the car seat isle.

Im still sitting here shaking my head over the whole thing. Am I wrong? I've been looking and everything I find shows that model seat to be FF ONLY. But man, he wouldnt hear anything against it, was totally set that it was a Convertible seat, used rear facing. Anyway, tried out the prosport, loved it, but unfortunately I did not get to do my usual check for strap heights, pics, etc cause of Mr. Nosy-lets-crash-test-your-kid-in-the-seat-right-here!
Oh, and I tried out the B-ready. Loved it. :D

ADS

wvmommy007

If that had happened in the presence of my husband, that guy would have a black eye (or 2). I would've probably just screamed his face off. I hope you complained to the manager. What if he chose to crash test a newborn?!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No employee should be doing anything of that nature. I hope you told his manager.

Calleiah

Ok here is the super awesome kicker. I called them about what happened, asked for the manager, and told her I wanted to talk about the older guy in the car seat section.... And she says "oh, you mean my husband?"
Doh! I did my best. I explained what happened and that it would uh be best if he didn't show people crash dynamics ON the kids. She sounded less than receptive. I got the impression he's not there a lot thank heavens.
I was honestly just stunned and didn't react quite quick enough.

Baylor

Holy Car Seats Batman...

What a goober. he is lucky you did not try it on him..

Scares me what kind of " help" people are getting when buying car seats.

Calleiah

Lol well it was their seat. I never actually buy seats from them, just try them out. They are usually way high priced, but they also have the widest selection. I'd actually really love to work for them, just because of the seat selection.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Maybe next time it happens someone will call the cops on him for assaulting their kid. Perhaps you should write a letter to the manager and mention that possibility.

And yeah, it's not a convertible. It's a booster with shield (from 9 months up.) They have an infant seat that rear-faces.

mommyfrog

Also, in Europe the one with the shield can be used on a rear facing seat, like the third row of a station wagon. Maybe that's what had him confused.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC