Help me find the best seat for my 5.5 year old

bekah

Okay, here's the deal. I have three kids. My oldest is 5.5 years old in an EFTA. He is 39 lbs so he is not above the weight requirement and we do not need a high weight seat. He is about an inch from the top of the harness height on this seat.

My original plan was to move him the the Recaro Vivo Booster when he turned 6 but now I'm a bit nervous about it because he's been in a harness for so long. If a booster fits well, is it safe for a 6 year-old who will be over 40 lbs and over 43 inches at that time? Or is there something else I should consider?

My other issue is that my 3.5 year-old is barely any smaller in torso height than ds. So we have an EFTA and a Marathon but I think they will outgrow both of them very close to the same time. So if I was to get a much higher harness slot (what is there out there that is a lot higher?) I'd want to give it to dd1, not ds.

Oh, and also, how do you all feel about the Graco Snugride 35 as my dd2 gets older? Is it better to have her in the Marathon or in the infant seat? She will fit it for another 6 months, at least.

ADS

armywife12

There is no evidence that a harness is any safer for a child who is big enough and mature enough to be in one. If you think your 5 yr old will be able to sit properly the entire time and you find a properly fitting booster for him, he will be perfectly safe.
The Evenflo Maestro has top harness slots about 1.5-2 inches higher than the EFTA I believe. It should get your 3 yr old to proper boostering age (around 5-6 yrs old).
It really doesn't matter which seat you use for the baby as long as the baby fits properly.

momtotwogirls

it is safe for him to be in a booster as long as he is mature enough to sit properly and the seatbelt fits him right.
Can you sit your kids on the floor next to a wall and measure from the floor to the top of their shoulders? That will give us an idea of torso height and be able to recommend a seat to accommodate them until they are ready for a booster.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... I'd stick with your current plan for your 6yr old.

For your 3yr old, I'd think Evenflo Maestro, Graco Nautilus, or Britax Frontier 85

bekah

I measured them, ds is 14.5, dd is 14 inches.

I thought the EFTA was 16.5 inches but there is no way my ds has 2 inches of growth in that seat. And I guess this confirmed to me that they are very close in torso height.

momtotwogirls

Sometimes kids loose some harness time when a seat is installed. The Meastro and Nautilus are both 18 inches.The meastro harness to 50lbs which would likely be sufficient for them both. They run about 80 dollars. Nautilus harnesses to 65lbs but since they have the same top harness as the Meastro they are outgrown the same time so unless you really think they need the extra 15lbs id go with the meastro. The nautilus runs about 150 each. The britax Fronteir harness is 20inch and harnesses to 85lbs and runs about 250 dollars.

They all turn into HBB but the nautilus really depends on fit with the child, so sometimes good and sometimes not so good. The meastro turns into a relatively good booster but is short so another high back would be required shortly after they outgrow the harness. the frontier turns into a great booster and has a 9 yr lifespan.

If you are not comfortable with your oldest in a booster yet then you could get a frontier have him use it for a yr then do a booster for him then pass the frontier to the 3 yr old to use til he is ready for a booster.

jjordan

I would stick with your plan of moving your oldest to a booster when he is 6 (provided that he sits properly). I'd leave the middle child in the EFTA and marathon until she is closer to outgrowing them. They may last much longer than you are thinking. Keep in mind that, at least on the marathon, often the harness holes in the cover are a touch lower than the holes in the seat shell, and it is outgrown when the child is above the holes in the SHELL. Also if you can manage to install the seat at a more upright angle, you can gain some growing room there.

If your dd does outgrow the EFTA and marathon early, then you can decide what to get. No point in deciding now since she still has probably a year or more of growing room in those seats.

If you decide to pass the convertibles on to the baby and move dd before she outgrows them, the maestro has about 18" top harness height, nautilus is about 18.5", and frontier85 is about 19.5". Another option is the Recaro ProSport, top harness height about 18".

bekah

Thank you! this is very helpful. I might try to install both seats even more upright to get some more time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC