Airbag safety

U

Unregistered

We are thinking of buying a Chevy Avalanche, my dh really needs the pick up truck capabilities and it's much easier to get kids in back than an extended cab p/u. It is a 6 pass and the middle seat in the front row is seperate from the pass and driver's side. The pass air bag will shut off if the person is under 100# so my question is would a harnessed child be safe in the middle if another child under 100# was in the pass side? This would be an occasionally need. TIA

ADS

mamamia

I know trucks aren't the safest option, but....

Have you considered putting the car seats in the back seat? The back seat of an avalance is very deep compared to regular pickups, with the back doors there is easy access, and car seats fit very well. THe only problem is that the tether anchor is in an absurd location under the seat so you have to fold the seat, hook the tether strap, put the back seat back together, install the car seat and then pull up on the tether strap. It is a huge pain, but seats install very well in the back. My parents have an avalanche and I have installed our FPSE, a Century Bravo, Century Next Step and Britax Wizard all FFing in the back. All fit very well.

U

Unregistered

oops sorry I wasn't clear, kind of new to this web thing. We actually have 4 children so we'd only do this is we were all to need to ride in this vehicle.

U

Unregistered

We we read the owner's manual and you can't put a Car Seat in the middle anyway and since it's only a lapbelt I gues we're out of luck! Thank you though

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You can put a harnessed car seat in a position that has a lap-only belt. It cannot be used with a booster or a person who is not in a child seat.

If the manual says not to put a car seat there, then the position cannot be used with a car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC