Completed my 1st day of the CPST course!

laudymama

I was the only mama there, the rest were all part of some organization or there for work. I felt a little out of place but feel like I knew more than most of them just from being on here! I can't say I really learned anything I hadn't read here so far but am looking forward to getting my hands on some seats! The seats were all around the room just taunting me:evil grin:

ADS

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
You know that was my first day...but some of those people came really good friends of mine! One of the firefighters even took me out on a date :whistle:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You will be the one that the police officers call when they are stumped on a carseat install

Yup. Big time.

Try not to argue with the instructors *too* much. They get annoyed by that.

The playing with seats part is fun. :)

I was also the only mom there because I wanted to be.

Wendy

Cilia

I also had my first day today. It was fun! And we got to play with some seats. Man, that long belt path on the Fr (don't know which kind) was a PITA.

msg221

Wendy

Unless it's an Evenflo Titan with a ridiculously small belt path that scratches your hand up like you took a grinder to it!

I was also the only one there because I wanted to be AND I don't even have kids of my own!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I was also the only one in my class that was there of my own accord. All of the others were forced there for work, one of whom was taking it for the second time around after failing it the first time. I truly think he didn't give two hoots about it at all but was at risk of losing his job without passing this time :( He won't make a great tech I assume... I see him throwing the seat in buckling it and sending them on their way... I don't foresee any parental education :(

Baylor

Yup. Big time.

Try not to argue with the instructors *too* much. They get annoyed by that.

I was also the only mom there because I wanted to be.

Wendy

I printed this off the first time someone told me this.

I have to go and find the post but I remember them saying they knew everything and more from being here and to hold back..

Yeah.. It won't be easy.. Maybe I should get a tooth pulled the day before I go...

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
When I became a tech, I was in a controlled course of 7 male firefighters. Plus 2 firefighters as instructors.

Now, I have been teaching with the 2 instructors (1 left the FD and is now with the PD) who taught me for the past 3 years. They are 2 of my best friends.

Our upcoming class also includes a IC who is going to be a great asset to our teaching team.

Hope you are enjoying your class and build new friendships.

lovemybabies924

i need to come up w/75 bucks so i can take a class in may!!!

is there a way to make a living off car seats? i would love that haha

Cilia

wow you were installing seats on your first day...we didn't get to touch the seats till the second day

Well, they had to move the sessions around because they needed our class room in the afternoon the first day. Today we didn't really do anything with the seats. We spent almost the whole day covering facts.

tarabelle

We just completed day 2 and had some hands on with seats and seat belts.

We've touched greatly upon the benefits of ERF, how the Mighty Tite is the spawn of satan, best practices.. RF tethering (we discussed Australian vs Swedish). The instructors are great, they know their stuff, though I find some info is outdated. Thankfully, I'm not the one arguing with them, there is someone else in the class doing that.

I'm the only one there by my own volition. I'm there with some police officers, NICU nurses, physical therapists... and a bunch of guys from the parks department who DID. NOT. want to be there. Though, I was speaking to two of them yesterday and they are really shocked how much information there is in a course and how much they're learning.

I did get a little talking to about letting my class mates find out info from the the instruction manuals but other than that I have done pretty well with keeping my mouth shut....

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
i need to come up w/75 bucks so i can take a class in may!!!

is there a way to make a living off car seats? i would love that haha

If there was it would be great. My DH would never be able to complain to me again about car seat related stuff. If you happen to get a job that you are a CPST then you could get paid, but other thank that no such luck.

laudymama

Ok, so day 3 of course, all tests completed and Aced, tomorrow is our safety check event.....we have hardly gotten to practice on seats and just got thrown to the wolves practically, thank God I somewhat know about seats. We've all complained and they just tell us to come early or stay late! Not everyone can do that, especially considering when you sign up for a class there is a start and end time and you PLAN for that (obviously give or take a few min-not an HOUR like they suggest). And they certainly didn't teach us different types of tethering. I feel like we spent most of the time discussing different types of seatbelts! Not very impressed although they are pretty nice and the techs helping out are super helpful and cool. Sorry for that little bit of venting......has anyone else had this kind of experience??

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Every instructor has their own way of teaching. We all are supposed to follow the current instructors curriculum. When it is followed then you should have hands on time. However, there are times when maybe some areas were easier for students to grasp than others for students and this can put you a bit behind. When I became a tech I know I stayed late the 2nd and 3rd day as well as one other student so we knew we had everything down. This was an option, not a requirement. As a instructor if i see students are having a hard time I do hive them the option to stay. If they just can't i will send a. Couple seats home with them and a bsc and a lc to practice.

You are fortunate you have the pre existing care seat knowledge from here. Seat belts can take some time to learn. You will be fine at the check event.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC